Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aircon Judder

Notebook

Hi guys

cruise control on or without just feathering the accelerator - just touching it, on a slight down gradiant, the car slightly judders occasionaly, much more prominent with the aircon on.

Toyota looked at it when it was 3 years old, just before first mot, but said they couldnt detect it.

alloys were also bubbling at this time and after lots of ***** ups had them changed. This makes me wonder if they looked at this fault.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Please comment if only to say you dont get anything of the sort

Thanks

Hi guys

cruise control on or without just feathering the accelerator - just touching it, on a slight down gradiant, the car slightly judders occasionaly, much more prominent with the aircon on.

Toyota looked at it when it was 3 years old, just before first mot, but said they couldnt detect it.

Alloys were also bubbling at this time and after lots of ***** ups had them changed. This makes me wonder if they looked at this fault.

Thanks

Due to my old age you'll have to remind me if we are on a petrol or diesel. I have come across it on petrols. There seems to me a sort of flat "no mans land" on some VVTi's where you can get this can't make its mind up if its on over-run and as a result it becomes very unsettled and can manifest itself as a judder almost as if it is misfiring. No easy answer for that one I'm afraid and the aircon is just altering the engine load enough to interfere. Not heared of it on diesels - yet???

Hi guys

Alloys were also bubbling at this time and after lots of ***** ups had them changed. This makes me wonder if they looked at this fault.

Thanks

Due to my old age you'll have to remind me if we are on a petrol or diesel. I have come across it on petrols. There seems to me a sort of flat "no mans land" on some VVTi's where you can get this can't make its mind up if its on over-run and as a result it becomes very unsettled and can manifest itself as a judder almost as if it is misfiring. No easy answer for that one I'm afraid and the aircon is just altering the engine load enough to interfere. Not heared of it on diesels - yet???

It is petrol, so it sounds as if you are spot on - is there any sensors on the accelerator etc that could be cleaned? - just a bit annoying, but as long as the engine isnt going to blow up, I can live with it.

Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks

It is petrol, so it sounds as if you are spot on - is there any sensors on the accelerator etc that could be cleaned? - just a bit annoying, but as long as the engine isnt going to blow up, I can live with it.

Thanks

Sorry - been to work!

As long as it has been well serviced the only thing that might be worth checking is that it has the proper Iridium tipped spark plugs. You need to remove the coil pack from each plug;

IMG_1319-3.jpg

......and you can see they have a very fine tip;

IMG_1325-2.jpg

If it has been fitted with regular plugs this will help but may not cure it completely and keep in mind you can pay up to £40 for Iridium plugs.

I know just what you mean though, it is irritating and always seems worse to me when you are just feathering the accelerator - it doesn't seem to know what to do and starts jumping on and off the power. The accelerator has a potentiometer and electronically controls the injectors and the mass airflow meter so there isn't really anything you can clean or lubricate as such.

Don't worry, I don't think for one minute it is about to blow up!!!

• 1 month later...
Hi guys

Thanks

Thanks

Sorry - been to work!

Hi Anchorman and thanks for your reply.

I did read it and am now looking at it again as I am being made redundant, and will have the time to get to a dealer and create a bit.

Who is the chap on here who has a dealership?

Thought I might ask him so that he may ask his techs before kicking off!!!

Thanks as usual

NICK

As long as it has been well serviced the only thing that might be worth checking is that it has the proper Iridium tipped spark plugs. You need to remove the coil pack from each plug;

IMG_1319-3.jpg

......and you can see they have a very fine tip;

IMG_1325-2.jpg

If it has been fitted with regular plugs this will help but may not cure it completely and keep in mind you can pay up to £40 for Iridium plugs.

I know just what you mean though, it is irritating and always seems worse to me when you are just feathering the accelerator - it doesn't seem to know what to do and starts jumping on and off the power. The accelerator has a potentiometer and electronically controls the injectors and the mass airflow meter so there isn't really anything you can clean or lubricate as such.

Don't worry, I don't think for one minute it is about to blow up!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links