Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve

palmerino

Hi, all!

I hope someone could help.

My service managment light came on about two months ago and the car went on limp mode while cold. In lockal garage they read the code and said it's EGR valve and they clened it. 3 days later the light was back on and the car was on limp mode while cold, when it reaches the max engine temperature I turn off and then back on the engine and with the light still on the car goes normal with full power. After that I cleaned another two times the EGR valve, just to make sure it is properly done but nothing changed. The valve is cleaned it looks OK, moves properly, it does not look to have anything wrong with it. They read the code again and still shows P0488, EGR valve. In the morning when I start the car there is no power, ones it is worm enough I restart the engine, the light is still there but the car goes normal.

Anybody has any idea what it could be? As all this parts are very expensive and I can not afford to change them one after another until I find which is the brocken one. At the same time Toyota will not tell me what is the exact problem to fix it myself as they want the car there for repair.

Regards, Palmerino

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palmerino

• t-spiritpete

• scunnyavensis

• Thermal

I'm sure you did a good job of cleaning the EGR valve but did you clean out the manifold assembly below it ?

Can you see the three holes clearly (the middle one being the larger from memory)? If not, they are coked up and also need cleaning explaining the lack of power.

Hi,

I have the same issue on an Avensis 2.2D T180 i bought only two weeks ago. The dealer says the EGR valve needs changing and a clean of the inlet pipes. THey have sent the quote to do this to the company i bought it from and i am waiting on the reply so i can get it fixed.....£500 plus i am guessing. I have checked the EGR and it is dirty but cleaning it made no difference as the turbo still doesn't kick in and the TRC off, DSC and engine management light are always lit......amazingly i bought a Toyota for reliability......the joke is on me !

I'm sure you did a good job of cleaning the EGR valve but did you clean out the manifold assembly below it ?

Can you see the three holes clearly (the middle one being the larger from memory)? If not, they are coked up and also need cleaning explaining the lack of power.

Where about it is? I have taken the whole valve out, spray it and cleaned it- the top part and the bottom one( the bottom has 2 holes only). Do you mean the holes on the engine block where the valve attaches?

My Avensis is 2.0 d-4d 116 bhp year 2003.

Regards Palmerino

Apologies, I was talking about the D4-D 2.2 D-Cat engine.

As long as you have done the valve assembly & manifold I think you should be ok.

Where about it is? I have taken the whole valve out, spray it and cleaned it- the top part and the bottom one( the bottom has 2 holes only). Do you mean the holes on the engine block where the valve attaches?

Regards Palmerino

If the code is still pointing to the EGR valve after it's been cleaned there's obviously still a problem with it.

As the valve is moving freely manually, maybe the solenoid (the top part of the valve) is sticking.

This might get cleared when you turn the ignition off and on again.

Regards Palmerino

If the code is still pointing to the EGR valve after it's been cleaned there's obviously still a problem with it.

As the valve is moving freely manually, maybe the solenoid (the top part of the valve) is sticking.

The top part it is cleaned as well. It moves freely manually but how easy it should be- very easy or slightly hard. There is a spring underneath and I would say mine moves slightly hard- up and down and I can turn it around by hand.

Regards Palmerino

The top part it is cleaned as well. It moves freely manually but how easy it should be- very easy or slightly hard. There is a spring underneath and I would say mine moves slightly hard- up and down and I can turn it around by hand.

I am just wondering if it could be the electronic top of the valve which controls it- to open and close?

i have posted a similar, but not the same issue.

I wonder if doctorc has it fixed now ?

i wonder if by disconnecting the plug to the solonoid it will keep the valve closed, and that will prove if its the solonoid. Or one could apply the correct voltage to it ( assume its 12v dc) and see if it operates.

As far as i can tell the car can run without an egr, even if only to prove it. Somone else said you can even blank the holes off to prvent egr. I am going to see if i can disconnect the egr solonoid plug on mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided to change an EGR valve as the car went completely on limp mode- either cold or hot. Yesterday I put the new one and surprise surprise no change at all. I went to the local garage for computer reading and it said it is the EGR valve. They clear the code, after 100 yards driving the light came on and the car went on limp mode. They cleared the code again after they read it( ''EGR Valve and throtlle regulation'' (not sure about the last one but something about throtlle)and after I drove for 100 yards again the same no power when acclerate. After couple of trys the car start going on full power as it should be with the light still on and after a while the light went off. Next morning I started the car and everything was back to ''normal''- light on and limp mode again.

I phoned Toyota asking if the valve needs time to reset or adjust to the car or if the car needs resetting or if there is anything else I need to clean or check?They said ''no it should work straight away but bring the car to us so we could check it as there could be other things stopping the car to work normal''

It looks like I bought a part I did not need inspite the code reading says EGR valve. Could it be something else, any ideas?

Regards

Palmerino

I have decided to change an EGR valve as the car went completely on limp mode- either cold or hot. Yesterday I put the new one and surprise surprise no change at all. I went to the local garage for computer reading and it said it is the EGR valve. They clear the code, after 100 yards driving the light came on and the car went on limp mode. They cleared the code again after they read it( ''EGR Valve and throtlle regulation'' (not sure about the last one but something about throtlle)and after I drove for 100 yards again the same no power when acclerate. After couple of trys the car start going on full power as it should be with the light still on and after a while the light went off. Next morning I started the car and everything was back to ''normal''- light on and limp mode again.

I phoned Toyota asking if the valve needs time to reset or adjust to the car or if the car needs resetting or if there is anything else I need to clean or check?They said ''no it should work straight away but bring the car to us so we could check it as there could be other things stopping the car to work normal''

It looks like I bought a part I did not need inspite the code reading says EGR valve. Could it be something else, any ideas?

Regards

Palmerino

Hi mate, it sounds to me like the throttlebody/air intake shutter is faulty, maybe you can remove this and clean it out before shelling out for a new one, this can be linked to code PO488.

You may find it is jamming due to a sticky residue inside the throttlebody, worth a try anyway as you must have spent a lot of cash already.

Best of luck ..... Pete.:thumbsup:

Regards

Palmerino

Hi mate, it sounds to me like the throttlebody/air intake shutter is faulty, maybe you can remove this and clean it out before shelling out for a new one, this can be linked to code PO488.

You may find it is jamming due to a sticky residue inside the throttlebody, worth a try anyway as you must have spent a lot of cash already.

Thanks for the reply, Pete!

Yes it is code P0488. Where about it is the throtllebody/air intake shutter?Is it the one on the plastic lid on the air filter?

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Here are a couple of diagrams of the parts to be cleaned, it's the maf sensor on the air filter.

Pete.

Yes it is code P0488. Where about it is the throtllebody/air intake shutter?Is it the one on the plastic lid on the air filter?

Regards

Palmerino

post-74463-128596574598_thumb.jpg

post-74463-128596576232_thumb.jpg

Regards

Palmerino

Here are a couple of diagrams of the parts to be cleaned, it's the maf sensor on the air filter.

Pete.

Regards

Palmerino

Hi,there!

I found the maf sensor but still can not find the intake shutter, I could not figure it out even with the diagram. Is it before the air filter or after it?

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

I've taken the car yesterday to Toyota. They check the car for 2,5 hours and the verdict was; nothing wrong with the EGR valve it is the throttle body as you suggested. Price: £550 for labor and parts and maybe VAT on top, I don't know. Do you recon I could clean it? Would it work? Where about it is located? Maybe I could try before I decide what to do with the car- to sell it or fix it as it cost me aready this year almost £1400 until now. I liked toyota so much but I am so dissapointed, maybe i will go for Honda next time.

I would appreciate any advise and suggestions.

Kind regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

I've taken the car yesterday to Toyota. They check the car for 2,5 hours and the verdict was; nothing wrong with the EGR valve it is the throttle body as you suggested. Price: £550 for labor and parts and maybe VAT on top, I don't know. Do you recon I could clean it? Would it work? Where about it is located? Maybe I could try before I decide what to do with the car- to sell it or fix it as it cost me aready this year almost £1400 until now. I liked toyota so much but I am so dissapointed, maybe i will go for Honda next time.

Kind regards

Palmerino

Hello again, for that kind of money i would have a go anyway, i have attached a diagram.

post-74463-128653461526_thumb.jpg

post-74463-12865347233_thumb.jpg

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

Kind regards

Palmerino

I phoned two Toyota shops today to find out how much is the throttle body. Both of them said the diesel does not have throttle body, then i managed to get in touch with the man from toyota garage who checked the car yesterday and I have been told that it is '' a throttle switch and gasket'' not a body as they wrote on the invoice. Price: £122.00 +£ 2.50 for the gasket + VAT. I'm just wondering how did they make the price to £550.00?

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

Kind regards

Palmerino

I phoned two Toyota shops today to find out how much is the throttle body. Both of them said the diesel does not have throttle body, then i managed to get in touch with the man from toyota garage who checked the car yesterday and I have been told that it is '' a throttle switch and gasket'' not a body as they wrote on the invoice. Price: £122.00 +£ 2.50 for the gasket + VAT. I'm just wondering how did they make the price to £550.00?

Palmerino

Hi again, yes that's why I wrote "it sounds to me like the throttlebody/air intake shutter is faulty" just to point you in the right direction but if a Toyota tec called it a throttle body i wasn't far off mate ;). I hope you are getting nearer to solving it at hopefully now at a much lower cost, keep it touch anyway.

Best regards and good luck, Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

Kind regards

Palmerino

Palmerino

Hi again, yes that's why I wrote "it sounds to me like the throttlebody/air intake shutter is faulty" just to point you in the right direction but if a Toyota tec called it a throttle body i wasn't far off mate ;). I hope you are getting nearer to solving it at hopefully now at a much lower cost, keep it touch anyway.

Hi, Guys!

I havent been here for a while but the problem with p0488 is still not fixed. I had genuine timing belt broke down on 30000 miles and it smashed the engine inspite I was driving with less than 30mph. The fact that Toyota spare parts are extremely expensive- more than the car is worth- made me by a second hand engine from a crushed car: 55 reg, 72000 miles, sweet and smoother, I would say better than mine. The local garage fit it in 2 days, test the car- much better than before- new EGR valve, new timing belt and water pump, new oil and filters(3),glow plugs from my car as they have been changed recently, new clutch, and the throttle body and switch from the other engine as mine I have been told from toyota is foulty. So new car, better drive, I loved it and no lights(EML) at all.

On the second day about 9.30pm( engine worm) suddenly the EML came on and the car went on limp mode. Slightly better than befor but still no power. Next morning the same. After it wormed up I turned off the engine and then back on again- the light still on but car runs normally. Went to the garage after work, they read the code- P0488 EGR valve throttle body position/control range. And as they said it is very unlikely to have the other engine with the same foult- throttle switch as Toyota says. They suggested it could be the cables connecting with the ECU or maybe the ECU- but I read some toppics here and Parts- King says that to have foulty ECU is very ulikely.

Any ideas? Anybody experience something similar? Anybody knows what it could be to help me as a car which is worth #3000 cost me already #4000 this year and I do not really want to take it to Toyota garage, expensive and most of the times useless service from my experience with them.

Regards

Palmerino(D-4D 2.0l T3-S estate 2003)

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

Kind regards

Palmerino

Palmerino

Hi, Guys!

I havent been here for a while but the problem with p0488 is still not fixed. I had genuine timing belt broke down on 30000 miles and it smashed the engine inspite I was driving with less than 30mph. The fact that Toyota spare parts are extremely expensive- more than the car is worth- made me by a second hand engine from a crushed car: 55 reg, 72000 miles, sweet and smoother, I would say better than mine. The local garage fit it in 2 days, test the car- much better than before- new EGR valve, new timing belt and water pump, new oil and filters(3),glow plugs from my car as they have been changed recently, new clutch, and the throttle body and switch from the other engine as mine I have been told from toyota is foulty. So new car, better drive, I loved it and no lights(EML) at all.

On the second day about 9.30pm( engine worm) suddenly the EML came on and the car went on limp mode. Slightly better than befor but still no power. Next morning the same. After it wormed up I turned off the engine and then back on again- the light still on but car runs normally. Went to the garage after work, they read the code- P0488 EGR valve throttle body position/control range. And as they said it is very unlikely to have the other engine with the same foult- throttle switch as Toyota says. They suggested it could be the cables connecting with the ECU or maybe the ECU- but I read some toppics here and Parts- King says that to have foulty ECU is very ulikely.

Any ideas? Anybody experience something similar? Anybody knows what it could be to help me as a car which is worth #3000 cost me already #4000 this year and I do not really want to take it to Toyota garage, expensive and most of the times useless service from my experience with them.

Regards

Hi again mate sorry to hear about your further troubles. This is a very long shot and you never know, but a mate of mine who runs a Honda Accord diesel had a similar fault as you, to cut a long story short he used get diesel at the same Asda filling station and within a mile or so the car would go into limp mode. After paying a local garage a small fee to get it fixed a few times he found out that disconnecting the Battery for a short while reset the ecu, shortly after this he got the link between the filling station and the limp mode so ..... he never went there again and the problem never came back!!! To end this little tale shortly after this all took place the filling station was closed for ages ......... to have new underground storage tanks installed, maybe the old ones were contaminated? Funny really because this happened to my wifes car last year, filled up at a local Sainsbury, the Mitsubishi got 150 yards and cut out, I recovered the car and drained 3 gallons of water from the tank etc etc. I reported this to Sainsbury along with evidence from two more affected customers but got nowhere, some months later the Sainsbury filling station was closed, the forecourt dug up and new underground storage tanks installed. Some people also say that supermarket fuel can also cause poor running, in fact thinking back the Mitsubishi dealer said and I quote " we tell our customers not to use supermarket diesel fuel or your warranty will be void" how they can carry that through I don't know but it does make you think a bit deeper when you have a problem.

These things can happen and you also may have suffered a similar plight but then again it may well be an electronic problem, who knows?:unsure:

I really hope you get it sorted out soon though at minimal cost.

Regards Pete.

Regards

Palmerino

Regards

Palmerino

Hi, Pete!

Kind regards

Palmerino

Palmerino

Hi, Guys!

Regards

Hi again mate sorry to hear about your further troubles. This is a very long shot and you never know, but a mate of mine who runs a Honda Accord diesel had a similar fault as you, to cut a long story short he used get diesel at the same Asda filling station and within a mile or so the car would go into limp mode. After paying a local garage a small fee to get it fixed a few times he found out that disconnecting the Battery for a short while reset the ecu, shortly after this he got the link between the filling station and the limp mode so ..... he never went there again and the problem never came back!!! To end this little tale shortly after this all took place the filling station was closed for ages ......... to have new underground storage tanks installed, maybe the old ones were contaminated? Funny really because this happened to my wifes car last year, filled up at a local Sainsbury, the Mitsubishi got 150 yards and cut out, I recovered the car and drained 3 gallons of water from the tank etc etc. I reported this to Sainsbury along with evidence from two more affected customers but got nowhere, some months later the Sainsbury filling station was closed, the forecourt dug up and new underground storage tanks installed. Some people also say that supermarket fuel can also cause poor running, in fact thinking back the Mitsubishi dealer said and I quote " we tell our customers not to use supermarket diesel fuel or your warranty will be void" how they can carry that through I don't know but it does make you think a bit deeper when you have a problem.

These things can happen and you also may have suffered a similar plight but then again it may well be an electronic problem, who knows?:unsure:

I really hope you get it sorted out soon though at minimal cost.

Regards Pete.

Hi, Pete, and thanks for the reply!

Yes I have been using all these years Tesco and Shell diesel but never had such a problem. To be honest it started as far I remembered when I began to use Sainsbury fuel. It could be from there as you say and I have to try the car with diesel from another station( BP or Texaco)after I reset the ECU to see how it goes.I was thinking before reading the blocks here, that it could be from the fuel as I did not change the fuel filter this time when I serveced the car in June deciding to do it next time. Now i havwe a new filter but still Tesco and Sainsbury diesel.

Friend of mine had similar problem on petrol car and after he changed everything on the car, his mechanic decided to check the cables. After 2 days work checking every single wire he found the broken one, but as I said it is a lot and time taking work.

Anyway I will try with other diesel and keep you updated.

Thanks a lot.

Palmerino

Hi there!

I am just wondering if after all I have done and changed in the car, I need to take it to Toyota to re- programm the ECU? Maybe that's why the Engine Managment Light still keeps comming on and the car goes on limp mode? Anybody knows?

Regards

Palmerino

palmerino,

did you ever sort this problem? if so what was it??

regards

scunny

No yet. I am trying to find someone who's able to find out what it is the problem and to fix it. I do not want to go to Toyota as they want every time to check the car ( which is OK as everybody wants, but too expensive there) and afterwords they make suggestions which most of the times are not sorting the real problem and I have to keep paying for parts and labour which I do not need as they do not want to refund money for wrong parts and labour.

I will keep you updated guys.

Regards

Palmerino