Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Typhoon?

clueless1980

There's a bit sticking out at the minute which i'm hoping is enought to grip to unscrew it... if not it's a job for the weekend with Ricc & Marc and a bolt extraction kit :lol:

Alternatively, if you have enough sticking out, but the mole grips are no good, you could try cutting a groove across the top big enough for a flathead screwdriver to do the job. Although I must say I am looking forward to the prospect of taking a power drill to your engine :yahoo:

It would be a real shame if the drill slipped and it put a hole in the engine casing! :lol: ;)

Both sound rubbish and both imo are total rip off waste of money... go for the 57i if there are any gains to be had by replacing the stock air filter then the 57i is just as likely to give you it...then a more expensive 'induction kit'

Joel

Completely agree...

Dyno results show an increase of only 12-20bhp for the A'PEXi and Typhoon's

And you'd be better off saving £20 buying the cheap version of a Typhoon rather than the higher rated A'PEXi....

Both sound rubbish and both imo are total rip off waste of money... go for the 57i if there are any gains to be had by replacing the stock air filter then the 57i is just as likely to give you it...then a more expensive 'induction kit'

Joel

Completely agree...

Dyno results show an increase of only 12-20bhp for the A'PEXi and Typhoon's

And you'd be better off saving £20 buying the cheap version of a Typhoon rather than the higher rated A'PEXi....

I have to agree again :ffs:

:lol:

The Induction kits sound better IRL, Ofcourse a Digicam can't pic up the proper sound... It's too deep.

I think £180 for a 20HP increase is pretty reasonable myself.. :lol:

There's a bit sticking out at the minute which i'm hoping is enought to grip to unscrew it... if not it's a job for the weekend with Ricc & Marc and a bolt extraction kit :lol:

Alternatively, if you have enough sticking out, but the mole grips are no good, you could try cutting a groove across the top big enough for a flathead screwdriver to do the job. Although I must say I am looking forward to the prospect of taking a power drill to your engine :yahoo:

I cut a line in a bolt that held the radiator fan to the radiator. It's quite hard because you need to do it slowly otherwise the disc splits and shatters all over the place But it does work quite effectively.

i assume Norfolk has a DIS missing lol

20bhp frankly i dont belive it... thats a massive increase for just changing the filter alone sound like proper cloud talk....the very nature for a NA engine wont actually benfit much from a 'induction kit' i would say you can take athe zero off the 20 and be closer to the kind of increase you may get... fact is a NA engine sucks in air just because you have a fancy induction kit wont mean it sucks on more air... not with out changing the mapping of the ECU to change the fuel air mix.. and i dont hear many of you talking about doing that... so i will remain a sceptic...

Thanks

Joel

20bhp frankly i dont belive it... thats a massive increase for just changing the filter alone sound like proper cloud talk....the very nature for a NA engine wont actually benfit much from a 'induction kit' i would say you can take athe zero off the 20 and be closer to the kind of increase you may get... fact is a NA engine sucks in air just because you have a fancy induction kit wont mean it sucks on more air... not with out changing the mapping of the ECU to change the fuel air mix.. and i dont hear many of you talking about doing that... so i will remain a sceptic...

Thanks

Joel

DIS? :huh:

Honestly i don't care what you believe... there were 6 of us attended a Rolling Road day and we all have dyno print outs to prove our claims...

As for an increase of "2bhp" you may want to consider making a complaint to Trading Standards over the gains K&N advertise on their website....

:P

Thanks

Joel

DIS? :huh:

Honestly i don't care what you believe... there were 6 of us attended a Rolling Road day and we all have dyno print outs to prove our claims...

As for an increase of "2bhp" you may want to consider making a complaint to Trading Standards over the gains K&N advertise on their website....

:P

Dont even get me started about inaccuracies of rolling roads that fact all 6 of you were on the same road and apprently saw the same gains... makes me even more suspisious would be intresting to see the same 6 cars on a different road and cross refrence the results to see if the magic 20bhp increase is still there..

as long as your happy with your £180 pruchase then its all good personally i wont be getting one...

Joel

We saw gains of between 12 & 20bhp... we didn't all get 20bhp...

There are discussions on another forum about holding a RR Day and using one CTS dyno it with stock airbox then the various filters & induction kits to see the actual gains for each type ;)

I didn't spend £180 anyway :lol:

And again... DIS? :huh:

04042009376.jpg

04042009375.jpg

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Skip to the 2 minute mark fo the start of the actual run.

Yes, The quality is poor and the microphone does stuff up due to the shear noise at high rpm. It was filmed with a Nokia N95 8GB...

That rolling road is very well known. It has to be accurate for the fact that they tune all their racing cars on it...

As Gaz said, we're organising another day soonish, so we'll see if another road gives same readouts...

or maybe we'll just use Marcs iPhone. :lol2:

Oh, Also.. not everybody seen gains.

One chap only pulled 186BHP. I personally put this down to the fact he had an inclosed filter with a ram pipe and not as much air was getting to the filter.

Where as this may have been the case on the RR, I think it's a different story on the road with the car actually moving.

I have a powertec sl1 in my car at moment...I told my insurance about it and they wanted full details of gains if any...My wife works for the insurance company and I got her Powertecs phone number from there website and she gave them a call...

Here is what they said...They have tested this kit on different cars but not a 1800 CTS...but on similar sizes engines with similar sized horsepower there could be be around 3%-4% gain on top of the standard power....which would give our CTS between around 5-7 horses more.He also told her that most induction kits are more about the induction noise unless they are used on a high performance car were there would be more power gains than on a non performance car.

He said that most induction kits by different manufactures will have very similar gains on the the same cars...unless they are mapped for the kit...

As Gaz said, we're organising another day soonish, so we'll see if another road gives same readouts...

I want to get the van on the rollers so keep us posted :yes:

Gaz's A'PEXi is a non performance inhancing modification. :P

K&N Have done their own Dyno on a CTS with a Typhoon and saw an increase of 17BHP. Their Dyno is actually just 5 minutes away from me in Warrington. (Not for Public use)

So If I go from K&N's figures + What Toyota say about the TTE Box (3-4HP, as the original box is restrictive) then I'm bang on the money.

In all honesty, I don't care if the figures are right or not. It sounds awesome and it slaughters most cars that have similar / apparently more power. I'm happy with that.

Dale - Make yourself useful and check... 'The Other Site'

It's on there. It'll probably be a northern run. As the people down south / midlands have agreed there's more Northeners interested.

Edit: Woody - Blutto has just a Powertec kit, nd see a supposed increase of 17BHP over stock.

Many people have also said in the past it all depends on the engines strength. Some people have took very near stock engines on and saw 195+.

I think my engine may well be 'strong' :P Induction kits FTL until i hit a 14. Then i wants! hahahaha

I want to get the van on the rollers so keep us posted :yes:

As said... the other site has details :thumbsup:

EDIT: I see you already have checked the other site! :lol:

As said... the other site has details :thumbsup:

EDIT: I see you already have checked the other site! :lol:

I feel like I've wandered into a Harry Potter movie :lol: :hokus-pokus: :hokus-pokus: :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links