Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Mpg Are Prius Drivers Getting?

Braindead

Would be interested to see what mpg figures new Prius owners are getting. I suspect the official figures are unattainable but how close can you get?

I test drove a Prius on Saturday, ordered it Sunday, collected it Tuesday !

MPG ? My daily commute is a 75 mile round trip including a mix of motorway, A roads and town driving. On the first day it got 58 mpg, the second day 59mpg and today now that i am getting a feel for the car I managed 62mpg - I'm gobsmacked! This car has cut my overall motoring costs by about 60%. (These figures are UK gallons - not US gallons). So yes you can achieve the quoted mpg - with careful driving easy on the accelerator and brake.

I was chatting to one of our company managers who is evaluating a Prius, his has done 80,000 miles , has never let him down and he regularly gets 55 to 60 to the gallon, he did say he doesn't abuse it, gotta be worth while.

I've had it nearly a week now.

Seems that on a motorway with cruise set to 80 I can get around 50mpg. (BTW, indicated 80 is actually around 74)

I can get similar around town once it warms up but my drive into work is only 6.5 miles. The bar graph display shows consumption improving throughout the journey. Starts at around 25mpg then 30 something in the second 5 mins then around 50mpg in the 3rd 5 mins.

Thats probably because petrols are very inefficient when cold, but once warmed up are OK. To an extent, thats why a diesel is better for short runs because they dont have to warm up the same.

I like the sound of a Prius - but unfortunately I don't drive 50k a year so I would never recoup the fuel saving over the cost of the car.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever save enough to justify a Prius...but, heck, it's a gadget on wheels. I really rate it. Sad isn't it?

To make matters worse, I get a lot less from my company mileage rate for the Prius than I did my 2.2 Turbo Diesel.

I put a spreadseet together to work out the savings and I think I'll save around £800 in fuel and car tax a year but loose £400 on mileage payments as it's only a 1.5.

• 3 weeks later...

That is amazing fuel consumption guys, I am well impressed. I wish I could get the same from my 200BHP Corolla T-Sport. I am lucky if I get anymore that 18MPG from my car, but it is fun :rolleyes:

NICK :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my prius 02 for about 2 years and using the on board calculator I'm getting 46.2 mpg over the last 2000 miles in all types of driving. I'm interested in joining a prius owners club here in Florida if one such exists contact shag@tnan.net

• 1 month later...

Most of the time I'm in the Prius on my own and get over 50mpg.

Just been down to Devon. The Prius contained 2 adults, two teenagers, a boot full of luggage and and a tank of petrol. Travelled at 75-85mph most of the way. We also did some touring in Devon with some serious hill work around Lynton. Three adults and two teenagers in the car. Got back to Derby today.

Total milage for the 5 days was 600. And b****r me! - the damned thing still did 50mpg!!! :D

It never ceases to amaze me :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to carp on but.....

Just done a 60mile round trip from Derby to the other side of Leek in Staffs. There are so many cameras on route (at least 8) I only topped 50mph a few times. Two adults in the car, full tank of fuel and the air con on.....

58mpg

Bl***y H*ll!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Only 58 mpg ?

This morning I filled up and reset the counter. At the end of my 32 mile commute to work, the display was showing .... 65.0 mpg. :yes:

Carrying just one adult, about 25 miles motorway at speeds between 50 and 70 and 7 miles A roads.

My ambition in life is to see it display 70 mpg.........

well. quite surprised that after 113 miles I've got 54.9 mpg. So am very happy with that.

However most driving has been around my area Northwest London (mostly 30 mile limits) and one 50 mile round trip to Dunstable.

Just love coasting it along on down slopes when I know Illl have to slow anyway. Plus I'm pressing the EV button a lot, just for the hell of it, to wow my already bored missus and Son!

Great car

BudJar

• 1 month later...
That is amazing fuel consumption guys, I am well impressed. I wish I could get the same from my 200BHP Corolla T-Sport. I am lucky if I get anymore that 18MPG from my car, but it is fun :rolleyes:

NICK :thumbsup:

My new T Sport Corolla is returning 29 mpg at the moment, buts the engines a bit tight so I'll forgive it.

The fuel economy on the Prius is impressive, one day all cars will be like that I suspect.

I love having 190 bhp under my right boot though ! :yes:

Accylad

My new T Sport Corolla is returning 29 mpg at the moment, buts the engines a bit tight so I'll forgive it.

The fuel economy on the Prius is impressive, one day all cars will be like that I suspect.

I love having 190 bhp under my right boot though ! :yes:

That's about what my dad gets from his LS400.

You have a choice of small engine with lots of power, or big lazy engine with moderate power for the capacity (4.0 V8 280bhp).

It all depends on your driving style.

As regards the Prius, I really like them, but to be honest, £18k+ is a lot of money for a car that does 'only' 50-60MPG, when cars with engines like Vauxhalls 3.2V6 CDT-i auto can do 50MPG on a run, and 40+ most other times and there quick at 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

I really like the gadgetry side of the Prius though but it's still the cost that puts me off, especially when I can a used Lexus LS400/GS300 for less money, more spec and almost as much gadgetry and run it overall for the same money due to the intial outlay saving, it's the same argument for used Prius' too.

I keep looking at old-shape Prius' trying to persaude myself to get one, but when there over £8k for a 4 year old one it makes me think of what else I could get for the money.