Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Crunch

Noddy2

I know a bit about engines & gearboxes, and I fear that the problem that pinkbits fixes on the earlier Yaris gearbox isn't the same problem that my 2008 1.3 gearbox is suffering from.

The fix that pinkbits makes is to change the tension or pressure on the selector mechanism - too much pressure and you can't change between gears easily, too little pressure and the car falls out of gear into neutral.

If you're experiencing gear change notchiness in several gears and it doesn't get any easier when the car gets hot, then this fix might help.

If the crunching problem is only changing down the gearbox into a lower gear and it gets easier in warmer weather and goes away when the engine (and gearbox oil) is hot after a run, then its a different problem - with the synchromesh rings within the gearbox that make the gears move at the same speed inside the box when you change gear - and pinkbits solution isn't going to do anything to help a weak synchomesh.

That's why some Toyota dealers have changed the gearbox oil for a thinner oil - to try and help the synchromesh ring drag less in the oil - and why some people have had the gearbox stripped down to replace the synchromesh ring.

Mine's obviously just a problem with the syncromesh ring on second gear - as that's the only gear that causes an issue - and it goes away when the car is warm - so pinkbits solution's not going to hep me I fear, wherever the change tension spring is on our 2008 gearboxes....

Thanks for your input alfiejts,

you have in fact summed up all my conditions exactly, it is only isolated to 1st & 2nd gear when cold, which I have got used to, and generally have no great problem with, (I have driven many cars over the past 50yrs with far more difficult gear change mechanisms) I have changed the Yaris Gearbox oil to Fully Synthetic, but unfortunately at a cost of £22 no improvement found, (also unfortunately a recent problem with my left shoulder has not helped)

its possible like me the Synchro in 2nd will Improve With Age,

My advice to those considering changing to fully synth, as a cure its not worth the cost,

Thanks very much for your posting alfiejts, it has helped to clarified the situation.

At yhe end of the day there is a design or manufactorin falt for a small car which essentially made for town use hence expected a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear changes it should be able to cope with no fault. Its not fit for purpose seeing a car is most people's 3rd most expensive thing after the wife and property I cant believe any one would put up with it. I bet you would complain about a Cd or download that skipped is that worth it for less than a tenner?

My wife's the most expensive thing I've ever bought. She's not perfect either, but I don't spend my life complaining about things that can't be fixed..

:-)

:Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy:

So you dont think that the gearchange can be fixed. Not that Toyota just dont want to spend the time and money to put it right because they know that they can bluff their way out of the problem because its only a hinderance and not a safty issue. But I still would not of bought the car if it was like it on road test. There are a lot of cars that size and price around.

Field fix is now available for this fault, Takes approximatley 1. 3 hours to complete. Fix has been available for the last two months. just contact your dealer

Its the selectot shaft, bridge, spacer, 2x circlips and a new counter balance weight. The problem was caused by the selector shaft being 0.8mm too thin which caused the bridge to intefere with two selector shafts at once, this reduced the braking effect of the syncro rings. I've now carried out this modification on 5 sr yaris gearboxes and the results are 100% successful. Hope this helps you

goodison you are an absolute star.

Many thanks.....

I've already got mine booked in for its first service on 1st October, so I'll ring up and see if this can be done then...

I just want to know, what would you guys describe the problem as? Could you be as descriptive as possible?

I know when I drive my car, there's some drama going from 1st to 2nd, but all it is, is that the gear stick hesitates a little when going in to 2nd. It's all smooth gliding from 1st to 2nd until the very last moment, as if its passing a little rough patch. Only lasts for a split second and the gears don't crash or make any sounds...

Is this what everyone is having an issue with?

Referring to the goodison Posting,

I called in at my local Toyota Dealership at Bridgend, South Wales, this Morning. Armed with a copy of the Information contained within this post, hoping that

I could get my car (2008 Yaris 1.3 Tr Manual Pet.) booked in to get this Mod. carried out,

Their Reply = " This was a Modification that was applied to some of the mk1 Yaris, and does not apply to the latter models"

So back to square one, - or has anyone had a different response from their dealer?

I just want to know, what would you guys describe the problem as? Could you be as descriptive as possible?

I know when I drive my car, there's some drama going from 1st to 2nd, but all it is, is that the gear stick hesitates a little when going in to 2nd. It's all smooth gliding from 1st to 2nd until the very last moment, as if its passing a little rough patch. Only lasts for a split second and the gears don't crash or make any sounds...

Mine is like that: it's never been a problem... accept it when it is cold (OK when warm).

My Yaris (Crunchy) is april 2008. With my gearbox it is really only bad on cold running changing from 1st to 2nd gear fairly slowly as in trafic the gearchange is stiff and there is a disturbing crunch. If you pull away fast and change gear fast or the car is hot, mine is fairly well ok. I live near loads of traffic lights so I nearly always get the crunch.Hope that helps you.

Field fix is now available for this fault, Takes approximatley 1. 3 hours to complete. Fix has been available for the last two months. just contact your dealer

Thanks goodison, are you able to Confirm that this "Field Fix" is currently available for a 2008 1.3 Yaris TR - Manual, 2SZ-FE Petrol.? as I am receiving very little, and confusing info. from the Toyota Dealership that I purchased the car,

I think we would all be Interested, and indeed Grateful for your Advice, Thanks Again.

Definately for the 2008 Yaris.

Just been rung back by my local dealer. The bulletin only came out on 14th August. Its specifically for the later Yaris. They're doing their first tomorrow and are ordering in the parts for my car so that they can do it when it goes in for service on 2nd October.

My very nice lady said its similar to the fix for the Mk1 Yaris, bu tthis is definately a new one for the later models, as goodison says.

And she confirmed that its a 1.3 hour job, although she's booking me a courtesy car, as they can't promise to do it that quick with it being a new thing for them to learn to do...

Yes its for the new shape yaris 2008, Quite a simple job of building up the modified selector linkage. For a first time job i would estimate it would take at least an hour extra. It is a totally different job on the mk1 and mk1 minor model change, where this only entailed varying the detent washer thickness. This is a full selector and bridge replacement. Pleased to have been of help to you guys

Definately for the 2008 Yaris.

Just been rung back by my local dealer. The bulletin only came out on 14th August. Its specifically for the later Yaris. They're doing their first tomorrow and are ordering in the parts for my car so that they can do it when it goes in for service on 2nd October.

My very nice lady said its similar to the fix for the Mk1 Yaris, bu tthis is definately a new one for the later models, as goodison says.

And she confirmed that its a 1.3 hour job, although she's booking me a courtesy car, as they can't promise to do it that quick with it being a new thing for them to learn to do...

Many Thanks, alfiejts,

I will Contact my dealership again armed with this additional information, the info I have had from them so far is = "We are unaware that there is a problem with the New Yaris Gear Selection" As for the aforementioned Modification I informed them about, = "This was for a few of the old mk1 Yaris that had a stiff gear selection" = "There is no mod. available for the 2008/9 Models" = "Your Clutch Probably needs Adjustment" (How can you Adjust the Hydraulic Clutch Mechanism on a Yaris?)

Thanks, This is what this Forum is all about, Please keep up the good work.

Hi Sisaven, If you ask your dealership to read the TOTSS they will see the buletin on these gearboxes, they are suppose to read these bulletins daily. Its a bit silly you going in there being more informed than themselves. the mk1 yaris is NOT even mentioned in this bulletin, hope this helps

Hi Sisaven, If you ask your dealership to read the TOTSS they will see the buletin on these gearboxes, they are suppose to read these bulletins daily. Its a bit silly you going in there being more informed than themselves. the mk1 yaris is NOT even mentioned in this bulletin, hope this helps

Many Thanks. Goodison, for all your help with this gearbox issue, I will Draw Their Attention to this Bulletin When I visit them.

You have been Very Helpful, Kind Regards, sisaven

Don't thank me Sisaven - its Goodison who has come up trumps for us both and deserves the thanks of us all....

Its really useful having people like him to help us.

My only advantage was having a local dealer who looked into it better than yours when I rang them up....

Without goodison, we'd both be stuffed...

Many Thanks. Goodison, for all your help with this gearbox issue, I will Draw Their Attention to this Bulletin When I visit them.

You have been Very Helpful, Kind Regards, sisaven

Just an Update to keep you all informed, I Have contacted my Dealership this Morning, (armed with all the "goodison" info) the Workshops Manager was very helpful when I spoke to him on the Phone, he did not know about this new fix, but he immediately found the relevant information from the TOTSS Bulletin, and phoned me back with all the Gen. consequently he will order the Parts Immediately, and my car is booked in for 28th (1st day available for use of Q car) a very Helpful and Informative Technician.

I will keep you all informed of the results, Best Regards, sisaven

Hi all again today I dropped into my Toyota dealer on the way past now due to the demand they are having a delay in getting the parts for Crunchy's gearchange mod I am happy for all of you who thought it was only an inconvieniance and not a problem who have or having yours fixed while I have had to write letters emails endless phone calls, to have my gearbox stripped put back together have Toyota Technical team drive and inspect with no improvment. Poor Crunchy is worried that his name is going to change and is feeling happy at the same time he is going to be loved more when in the near future he will feel more comfortable shifting gears when he is cold.