Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Crunch

Noddy2

Hi Everyone,

This mod is very interesting, but as my car is 2006 and out of warranty, do you happen to know if Toyota will do this FOC, or do i now have to pay..

As i have put up with the damm car for over 3 years now, you would hope they would sort this ?

Regards

Techy

There is a very strong chance of Toyota agreeing to the modification, especially if the car has a full service history carried out by the main dealer and that the fault/niggle was reported within the warrenty period, also at long last they seem to accept that there is a fault after all and is not just a Yaris characteristic, or if none of the above is applicable they may do the work as a gesture of goodwill. Like I said the way I see it is that you stand a very good chance.

There is no harm in asking them, but please let us all know the outcome.

Does anyone know any official number or name for this modification? I have a 2008 1.3 yaris and there is an intermittent crunch when changing from 1st to 2nd. I have visited Toyota twice and they can't find any bulletin for this mod. Thanks.

Finally got my car booked in but not till 9th october and the want to keep it all day and let me have it back on the saturday morning so the can check it out in totally cold conditions. The service engineer wants to make sure its spot on cause mine is their guinea pig car. The reason it is so far away is because of the use of a curtosy car for myself and Mrs Noddy2

Cant wait now Crunchy will soon be fixed :yahoo::yahoo:

Hi Sisaven, If you ask your dealership to read the TOTSS they will see the buletin on these gearboxes, they are suppose to read these bulletins daily. Its a bit silly you going in there being more informed than themselves. the mk1 yaris is NOT even mentioned in this bulletin, hope this helps

Many Thanks. Goodison, for all your help with this gearbox issue, I will Draw Their Attention to this Bulletin When I visit them.

You have been Very Helpful, Kind Regards, sisaven

Just an Update to keep you all informed, I Have contacted my Dealership this Morning, (armed with all the "goodison" info) the Workshops Manager was very helpful when I spoke to him on the Phone, he did not know about this new fix, but he immediately found the relevant information from the TOTSS Bulletin, and phoned me back with all the Gen. consequently he will order the Parts Immediately, and my car is booked in for 28th (1st day available for use of Q car) a very Helpful and Informative Technician.

I will keep you all informed of the results, Best Regards, sisaven

An Update to the above, Posted 15.09.09

I delivered my 2008 1.3 Yaris to the Dealership a' 0830hrs this Morning, to have the "Modified Gear Selector Parts" fitted, I had a Courtesy Car Provided, = 2009 1.33 T2 3 door Yaris (12000 miles clocked) I drove the car away Stone Cold on a Monday Morning, and from the outset this was one of the Sweetest Gear-change Mechanisms you could wish for, Hot and Cold, (so it looks like they sorted the problem for the new 2009 1.33 model)

I received a phone call from the service receptionist @ 1230hrs, informing the work on my Car was completed, and ready for collection, "They had road tested the car and there was a big Improvement"

The first thing I did was to Lift the Bonnet to visually Inspect, =

The "Control Shaft Cover 33528B" had been removed (visible sign's of a liberal amount of jointing compound used)

The "Shift, Selector Lever Shaft 33261C" had been Replaced for the Modified Version.

The "Shift Lever Damper 33544C" had been Replaced.

This is all I could see on the Exterior of the Box, but I believe some spacers were also changed internally.

(I have included the part No,s of the original bits, as I could not obtain any info on the Mod. parts)

I test drove the vehicle on the way back home and there was a more positive feel to the to the overall Gear Selection, Particularly Changing down 3rd to 2nd (I instinctively Double De,Clutch across the gate)

Very pleased so far, BUT How will it respond under cold start conditions tomorrow.

Watch this Space Tomorrow, for the Results,

Oh what do I do - please tell me how it is in the morning.....

Mine's booked in to be done with my first service on Friday - but the gearbox was absolutely fine today without any hint of crunch and I'm in a dilemma whether to leave it in case they actually make anything worse....

It is 15 degrees today but the car was almost cold and it wasa perfect gearchange..... Tell me how it can be OK sometimes and not others at the same ambient temperature.....

Appreciate your findings tomorrow....

Done a fair few of these now. Heres a picture of the selector,the bits you cant see. This is BEFORE the modified parts are fitted. I took the picture before i did it incase i lost wee bits :D

selector.jpg

Hi Sisaven, If you ask your dealership to read the TOTSS they will see the buletin on these gearboxes, they are suppose to read these bulletins daily. Its a bit silly you going in there being more informed than themselves. the mk1 yaris is NOT even mentioned in this bulletin, hope this helps

Many Thanks. Goodison, for all your help with this gearbox issue, I will Draw Their Attention to this Bulletin When I visit them.

You have been Very Helpful, Kind Regards, sisaven

Just an Update to keep you all informed, I Have contacted my Dealership this Morning, (armed with all the "goodison" info) the Workshops Manager was very helpful when I spoke to him on the Phone, he did not know about this new fix, but he immediately found the relevant information from the TOTSS Bulletin, and phoned me back with all the Gen. consequently he will order the Parts Immediately, and my car is booked in for 28th (1st day available for use of Q car) a very Helpful and Informative Technician.

I will keep you all informed of the results, Best Regards, sisaven

An Update to the above, Posted 15.09.09

I delivered my 2008 1.3 Yaris to the Dealership a' 0830hrs this Morning, to have the "Modified Gear Selector Parts" fitted, I had a Courtesy Car Provided, = 2009 1.33 T2 3 door Yaris (12000 miles clocked) I drove the car away Stone Cold on a Monday Morning, and from the outset this was one of the Sweetest Gear-change Mechanisms you could wish for, Hot and Cold, (so it looks like they sorted the problem for the new 2009 1.33 model)

I received a phone call from the service receptionist @ 1230hrs, informing the work on my Car was completed, and ready for collection, "They had road tested the car and there was a big Improvement"

The first thing I did was to Lift the Bonnet to visually Inspect, =

The "Control Shaft Cover 33528B" had been removed (visible sign's of a liberal amount of jointing compound used)

The "Shift, Selector Lever Shaft 33261C" had been Replaced for the Modified Version.

The "Shift Lever Damper 33544C" had been Replaced.

This is all I could see on the Exterior of the Box, but I believe some spacers were also changed internally.

(I have included the part No,s of the original bits, as I could not obtain any info on the Mod. parts)

I test drove the vehicle on the way back home and there was a more positive feel to the to the overall Gear Selection, Particularly Changing down 3rd to 2nd (I instinctively Double De,Clutch across the gate)

Very pleased so far, BUT How will it respond under cold start conditions tomorrow.

Watch this Space Tomorrow, for the Results,

As of today 29.09.09

I Completed the road test this Morning to establish any improvement in ease of gear change under cold start conditions, =

There is a Positive Improvement between 1st & 2nd selection from cold, =

3rd to 2nd (Cold) improved in as much as I now experienced a positive "Clunk" into 2nd (Cold) rather than the "Rasp" like selection prior to the Mod.

Prior to the Modification it would take approx 10 to 15 miles for the box to become sufficiently "Warmed Up" for a smoother gear selection. This Morning it reached a smoother selection in about 5 miles, a big Improvement.

I have taken the car on a 123 mile run today, on a great variety of road, and traffic, conditions. =

Gear selection was Improved through out the range, however, it is still not as Sweet and Smooth as the 2009 Box that I experienced in the Courtesy Car =

But having established that, I can now live with this Modified Box no Problem. its a definite Improvement.

My advice to those in doubt, Get The Modification carried out.

Best wishes to All, and especially to "goodison" for his Original Information, that ultimately got this work carried out, Thank You,

Also Thanks to "big q" for his recent addition of a Superb Photograph of the "offending Part"

hope you all get yours done soon, Regards, sisaven

The big day has arrived......

Off to the garage now for first service and gearbox modification.

Will let you all know of the outcome later......

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:gora: :gora: :gora:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

So there was a slight improvement then, ;)

Hi all again today I dropped into my Toyota dealer on the way past now due to the demand they are having a delay in getting the parts for Crunchy's gearchange mod I am happy for all of you who thought it was only an inconvieniance and not a problem who have or having yours fixed while I have had to write letters emails endless phone calls, to have my gearbox stripped put back together have Toyota Technical team drive and inspect with no improvment. Poor Crunchy is worried that his name is going to change and is feeling happy at the same time he is going to be loved more when in the near future he will feel more comfortable shifting gears when he is cold.

Just a line to wish Crunchy all the best while he undergoes his Minor Surgery Tomorrow, I'm sure all will go well, and you will be all "Geared"up for the post operation therapy, by breaking a bottle of Bollinger Shampoo over him at the re,naming ceremony.

Best Regards, sisaven

Dropped Crunchy up tonight being worked on tomorrow they will ring in the afternoon if all is OK. Her indoors thinks Reggy is a good name but Crunchy doesnt like it.

Will keep you all posted on outcome.

I hope that Crunchy becomes Smoothie tomorrow.

I can't believe the difference its made. Its now the sweetest gearchange I can remember on any car for a long time. Its even better than my Japanese Mk1 Yaris box from 2000.....

Its gone from zero to hero in one swift operation.....

Its an absolute pleasure to change gear and I couldn't imagine how it could be any smoother....

What a transformation......

Didnt get Crunchy back today the dealer found a crack on one of the other selector forks so they asked me if I minded keeping the loan car till monday when they expect to have the replacment part. The 58 Yaris I have on loan is slightly better than Crunchy's gearbox.

Do any of you lot have a strange noise when reversing fairly quickly ? Crunchy did but the 58 car doesnt getting dealer to check that out too while the have got it.

Keep you posted Noddy2.

Can't say I've noticed a noise on either of ours, but then I haven't really reversed quickly......

Just taken our second SR out for a run (my daughter's over for the weekend).

She thinks the gearbox is fine and its certainly better than my wife's car was before it was modified, but its still not as good as the modified one, so I'll be planning the upgrade on the second car too...

found you guys on this site extremely helpful in diagnosing this fault, ive found you very obliging and very helpful, none objective and willing to help one another. I work for TGB in the technical center, although i cannot give you specific information , i will help you with problems you have, unfortunatly and once again i have been thespotlight on which

information has been passed to the public,, never the less pleased to have been of assistance and hope your gearbox worries are now in the past GOODISON

Goodison,

Many thanks again for your help. We really do appreciate your technical input. I wish that there was a way to "vote thanks" on this forum, like you can on others...

My apologies if you've become a spotlight on information getting passed to the public, but to my mind, you have formed a large part of my "positive Toyota experience".

We really are grateful. These support forums would lose a lot if we didn't have people of your skill and knowledge to provide information that we general owners just don't have...

Good luck and thanks again. You have personally "restored" my previously untarnished Toyota driving experience. If I can do anything to provide "customer input" to help your situation, please PM me...

Graham.

Goodison,

Many thanks again for your help. We really do appreciate your technical input. I wish that there was a way to "vote thanks" on this forum, like you can on others...

My apologies if you've become a spotlight on information getting passed to the public, but to my mind, you have formed a large part of my "positive Toyota experience".

We really are grateful. These support forums would lose a lot if we didn't have people of your skill and knowledge to provide information that we general owners just don't have...

Good luck and thanks again. You have personally "restored" my previously untarnished Toyota driving experience. If I can do anything to provide "customer input" to help your situation, please PM me...

Graham.

I can, with complete sincerity Add My Thanks to the list of people that "goodison" has given his Expertise Help and Knowledge, through this Forum, as so Eloquently posted by "alfiejts" above

My Very Best Wishes, and Thanks,

Dave.

Picked up Crunchy today the service engineer said that the work was carried out to Toyota's specification when he phoned and told me it was ready, I drove it out of their forcourt onto the road did a U turn and back to see them it still crunched into 2nd altho the gear change was smoother. After discussion with the service engineer and the after sales manager they are going to contact the customer relations person I was dealing with then get back to me I have been telling them since the gearbox was stripped it has been worse. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I also want to thank GOODISON for the help given.

Cheers

Brian

Picked up Crunchy today the service engineer said that the work was carried out to Toyota's specification when he phoned and told me it was ready, I drove it out of their forcourt onto the road did a U turn and back to see them it still crunched into 2nd altho the gear change was smoother. After discussion with the service engineer and the after sales manager they are going to contact the customer relations person I was dealing with then get back to me I have been telling them since the gearbox was stripped it has been worse. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I also want to thank GOODISON for the help given.

Cheers

Brian

Sorry to hear that Crunchy is still of that name.

After I had the Modification carried out to my gearbox, there was a big Improvement in overall gear selection, having said that, there is still a (lesser) "resistance" to engaging 2nd gear, than there was prior, = primarily affecting 3rd to 2nd. changing across the gate.

I do not get a "Crunch" into 2nd, more of a bit of a "reluctance" to engage, esp when cold,

In my particular case I have always had the impression it was caused be an obstruction, or misalignment to the Selector Fork/Shaft and not a Synchromesh issue, (that is to allow two gears to mesh an different rotation speeds)

But overall I am very Pleased with the improvement that the Mod has achieved, the car is now a real pleasure to drive.

The difference my be that you have had the Box striped on previous attempts to cure the problem, and your current gear selection fault might be unrelated to the present Modification, = in fact it could relate more toward a weak Synchromesh problem on 2nd gear (that is the "Crunch"you are experiencing of two gears engaging at different rotation speeds)

I,m sure we are all hoping that TGB are able to sort out this (in your particular case) long standing gearbox related problem that you have, and Hopefully we all await the Re,naming ceremony only a short while longer,

Best Wishes,and Good Luck.

My local Toyota dealer have contacted me today and have been onto customer relations who I was dealing with explained the situation and are now of the same thought path and have applied to the waranty to be able to fit a new gearbox (with the modifacation) because it is Toyota's usual practice to strip examin and reasemble it is in their hands. I am still confidant that it will get sorted to my satisfaction eventualy.

My local Toyota dealer have contacted me today and have been onto customer relations who I was dealing with explained the situation and are now of the same thought path and have applied to the waranty to be able to fit a new gearbox (with the modifacation) because it is Toyota's usual practice to strip examin and reasemble it is in their hands. I am still confidant that it will get sorted to my satisfaction eventualy.

That is Excellent News, I'm Glad that things are moving in a more positive way for you & Crunchy.

The "Phoenix" might be a good new name, after the new box is installed.

Best Wishes,& Good Luck,

Dave.

Well Folks, i give up on this !..

I have contacted Toyota customer care to be told, that there is no mod that applies to my car, and it only for the latest shape Yaris.

But my Yaris is the latest shape, a 2006 1.3 T Spirit 1.3 petrol !...

I really get very fed-up being told there is nothing wrong with my car, when i all along there is a problem.

On many issues i have had to be so persistant, and i still have problems i have had with the car from new that have never been fixed.

Absolutely hopeless !..

Techy