Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Son Has Swine Flu.

Calisto

Alex was off his food, poorly tummy, very sleepy and just not his general self, So I rang NHS Direct (at about 5pm) as I suspected it could be swine flu and wanted confirmation after all the info I had read on its symptoms.

So I waited and waited and awaited for an hour for someone to answer the phone at NHS direct. :angry: No one answered!!!!!! just an automated voice saying to ring back when they were less busy...WTF is all that about.

Anyway.......I rang the Doctors who said that they has some Tamiflu at the chemist ready to pick up and I should keep him locked up ;) for 7 days.

So now its a waiting game for this to pass. :(

One of many... he will be OK :thumbsup:

Two people at work their kids have swine flu as well.... so we sent them home today as a precaution to the rest of us....

I'm sure he'll be fine. :) Back to himself in no time! :D

Aw poor Alex.....sending sympathy!! Oooooooooooeeeeerrrr hope you dont catch it before weekend???????????? :o

It affects people differently.

Kids are much more resiliant towards the Swine Flu so he'll be fine. I've had the flu so many times but it goes away pretty quickly. Kids fight it more intensely but for a shorter time! ;)

Anyway.......I rang the Doctors who said that they has some Tamiflu at the chemist ready to pick up and I should keep him locked up ;) for 7 days.

My bro was ill the other week and was given Tamiflu as a precaution...

My friend is now ill but she's been told they are no longer giving out Tamiflu unless she starts running a really high temperature at which point they will test her for Swine Flu....

So she's at home.... with her 2 kids... so potentially they could catch it as our local GP doesn't seem bothered unless she gets worse...

This country's f***ed up....

My friend is now ill but she's been told they are no longer giving out Tamiflu unless she starts running a really high temperature at which point they will test her for Swine Flu....

So she's at home.... with her 2 kids... so potentially they could catch it as our local GP doesn't seem bothered unless she gets worse...

It has to be said that our health system does have some problems.....

Sorry to hear that Calisto - hopefully your son will be better soon - disgraceful about the phone situation though - amazing how hard it is for some organisations to pick up a phone. At least your doctors have appearently organised some Tamiflu at the chemists for you.

Red diesel

It has to be said that our health system does have some problems.....

We have an excellent health service which I have paid into most of my life..............................................

Just don't get old or ill and need to use it :rolleyes:

We have an excellent health service which I have paid into most of my life..............................................

Just don't get old or ill and need to use it :rolleyes:

Well I had to have an 8 day stay in my local hospital last year.... silly me developed serious double pneumonia and nearly died.... so I was told by the doctors :o

I cannot speak too highly about the service I received :yes:

Hope he gets over it soon & really hope that you don't get it too. Balli HI's son got it & then both parents succumbed. :(

Best of luck to Alex & you all :thumbsup::doctor:

Hi ,

had my nose to the grindstone for the past few days , so have only just read this .

The important thing to remember is to make a regular check on Alex's temperature , if its over 38 then you will need to bring it down , also make sure that you get as much fluid into him as you can , my son was over the worst in approx 2 to 3 days , and made a full recovery in around 7 days , as said keep a regular check on his temperature , if you do not possess a thermometer then you should go and buy one .

We reduced daniels temperature down from 38.7 by constantly getting him to drink water and applying a cold damp towel to his forhead and toweling him down , we also had a fan blowing cool air over him .

As regards the tamiflu this may make him sick initially plus he may suffer some stomach cramps , but it passes quickly , hope this information helps , wishing Alex all the very best in a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

Thanks Balli, and everyone for the well wishes and advice.

So far so good.....Alex's temp is at is should be, but keeping a close eye on it.

...temperature , if its over 38 then you will need to bring it down...

Balli hi - If I may, I'd like (in a friendly, polite manner) to take issue with you on that point. I think that's totally, incorrect advice!

All my life, I have believed it's good to help the body in it's attempt to increase core body temperature when suffering from a virus (this is exactly what Beecham's Powders are for - gives the body a helping hand to 'stoke-up' the temperature). Reducing the temperature will only encourage the virus to thrive and live longer within the patient - it's the body's own defence mechanism kicking-in that stokes up the temperature in an attempt to 'kill' the virus by making the body's own environment an inhospitable place for it to survive.

It's not the virus that somehow mischievously increases a person's body temperature - it's the body's own internal defence system doing it's job! It's uncomfortable while it's happening, but the body's own defence system alone, is the only thing that will defeat the virus - until a vaccine is developed. Tamiflu is incapable of 'killing' this paticular virus - Swine Flu; it merely alleviates the patients discomfort somewhat, that's all.

Now it's very dangerous (of me), to offer conflicting advice on such a serious issue; but if I'm wrong somebody please put me right.

In short Balli hi - may I ask - did the doctor instruct you to reduce your son's temperature? This is an important question, because I'm of the opinion he/she did not.

Some figures, (not mine) -

" Here's the important point: Fever is NOT dangerous! The amount of temperature required to hurt the human brain is over (42C). Fever due to infection very rarely goes over (41.3 C), and while scary to parents, is not harmful. A 'normal' temperature in healthy humans is generally considered to be 'around' the (37C) mark. "

That quote is for care of children; but I trust it's similar for adults.

I hope you read this Bali hi, as I'd really like clarification, seeing as you've been 'through-the-mill' with this Swine Flu business.

...We reduced daniels temperature down from 38.7 by constantly getting him to drink water and applying a cold damp towel to his forhead and toweling him down , we also had a fan blowing cool air over him...

P.S. Excellent advice you mention about drinking plenty of fluids - absolutely essential - however, its purpose is not as you suggest to bring down the temperature directly per se, rather it rehydrates, replenishing the body with fluids it has lost ie., through increased sweatiness, (and/ or diahoreah/vomiting) - and the sweatiness is a direct consequence of the increased temperature the body is now running at.

Well i'm sooooooooo glad we have a medical expert in the toc house :lol: for your information we were told to reduce daniels temperature the very first time we spoke to NHS Direct , and were also advised that if it was hot and humid in the house that we were to open windows and draw curtains during the day , during daniels illness and mine i was told this information more than once in 4 or 5 phone calls we had with NHS DIRECT , so please don't go assuming that i've made anything up , i'm really doing my best here to refrain from what i really want to say to you :censor: but seeing as this is a family forum....

Maybe you should consult that medical mind of yours and see if the advice i was given is specific to children with swine flu , we were told that if daniels temperature is 38 or over this is one of the symptoms of swine flu , and as said we were told to help bring his temperature down , so don't go posting your assumptions as fact , people like you make me want to react in a manner of which i might regret :ffs:

Anyway, back to wishing the little person better real soon. :doctor:

Maybe PM your arguments when we are talking about someones child being ill.

Jaine

Hi Asha sorry to hear this. Hope Alex get's better soon all the best :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Anyway, back to wishing the little person better real soon. :doctor:

Maybe PM your arguments when we are talking about someones child being ill.Jaine

Your right of course jaine , but danny k has really got my goat on this one , i was merely passing on the same advice that my wife and i were given , so maybe if he has issues he should take it up with NHS DIRECT,

appollogies calisto and fellow toccers for losing my cool , but the fella did make a direct accusation without asking me first , and i quote ( did the doctor instruct you to reduce your son's temperature? This is an important question, because I'm of the opinion he/she did not. )

Like i said before daniel was over the worst in approx 2-3 days , so reducing his temperature never did him any harm , we were told to specifically keep an eye on his temperature and advised that if we did not possess a thermometer to go out and buy one , this advice i also passed on to calisto

Well i'm sooooooooo glad we have a medical expert in the toc house :lol: for your information we were told to reduce daniels temperature the very first time we spoke to NHS Direct , and were also advised that if it was hot and humid in the house that we were to open windows and draw curtains during the day , during daniels illness and mine i was told this information more than once in 4 or 5 phone calls we had with NHS DIRECT , so please don't go assuming that i've made anything up , i'm really doing my best here to refrain from what i really want to say to you :censor: but seeing as this is a family forum....

Maybe you should consult that medical mind of yours and see if the advice i was given is specific to children with swine flu , we were told that if daniels temperature is 38 or over this is one of the symptoms of swine flu , and as said we were told to help bring his temperature down , so don't go posting your assumptions as fact , people like you make me want to react in a manner of which i might regret :ffs:

I agree..

TBH....I was always under the assumption that when ever the bodies natural body temp was to go above the norm.....that It was a bad thing...you were basically cooking slowly kinda thing...hence you had to get the temp back to the norm.

How is he doing Ash?? Hope he's going on OK..................keep us informed eh :huh: ..n are you and Trev coping ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!