Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Misfire When Damp At Start-up.

stewyinpagham

Before the warranty runs out this month, has anybody had a misfire / rough startup when its been raining.!! If it was a petrol engine I would change the leads. The Car has had the EGR replaced, I'm told 4X injectors, but the brain was not reflashed as it was in spec?? It has only has V-power diesel stuffed in it and has now 25K on the clock.

Heyup Stew

The misfire could be the result of either something electronic or air in the fuel system. The easiest way to check for air is to pump the primer on top of the fuel filter. It should be firm from virtually the first pump and if not it might signify air in the system.

Failing that it is back to the electronics - ECU, injectors (you need to be sure and even then I would dig in and make sure they fitted T180 piezo and not 140 solenoid etc, etc),

Either way keep throwing it back as not resolved as it will stay on the system as an outstanding claim even after the 36 months as long as you keep it on the boil.

Good luck.

Heyup Stew

The misfire could be the result of either something electronic or air in the fuel system. The easiest way to check for air is to pump the primer on top of the fuel filter. It should be firm from virtually the first pump and if not it might signify air in the system.

Failing that it is back to the electronics - ECU, injectors (you need to be sure and even then I would dig in and make sure they fitted T180 piezo and not 140 solenoid etc, etc),

Either way keep throwing it back as not resolved as it will stay on the system as an outstanding claim even after the 36 months as long as you keep it on the boil.

Good luck.

It been back to Mr T's and of course its not rained.. It only 'lumps up' when it rains.! How do I recognize the correct injectors.. I'm a diesel engineer by trade and if it had Volvo-Penta or MAN on the rocker cover I'd have no problems...

Sounds like you are a marine diesel man Stew, I served my time on Gardners and Rolls Royce Eagles!!

I will dig out a bulletin on injectors tomorrow. Strange that it only does it in the wet. Do you suspect that it is to do with humidity or is water getting into a connection somewhere?

Before the warranty runs out this month, has anybody had a misfire / rough startup when its been raining.!! If it was a petrol engine I would change the leads. The Car has had the EGR replaced, I'm told 4X injectors, but the brain was not reflashed as it was in spec?? It has only has V-power diesel stuffed in it and has now 25K on the clock.

hello STEW

Agree with ANCHORMAN

Besides the possible problems are:

- electric circuit contacts purity (injectors solenoids);

- SCVs control feeder contact purity;

- air in fuel injection system;

- injection timing (?)

You should check all step by step having removed each suspicion item from the chain.

In order to have an air escaped from the fuel injection system -- the fine fuel filter lid has a respective screw/bolt on upper side.

- Have this screw/bolt released;

- Turn ignition key in ON just to give a feeding for SCV located on the HP fuel injection pump. It is not necessary to crank the engine. This ON position enables SCV to be opened (to suct diesel from suction line);

- Use primer booster pump (manualy driven) pump diesel and at the same time check what is going out of this scre/bolt on the lid. Once pure diesel is appeared, have this screw/bolt tighten and continue to pump just to push diesel thru the pump and further to recirculation line to the tank.

- Turn OFF the ignition key.

Try to start again. Besides check with both SCVs solenoids by el. tester whether they are in order. They must to click when you turn the ignition key in ON position before cranking.

Good Luck Colleague

Igor

hello STEW

Agree with ANCHORMAN

- injection timing (?)

You should check all step by step having removed each suspicion item from the chain.

In order to have an air escaped from the fuel injection system -- the fine fuel filter lid has a respective screw/bolt on upper side.

- Turn ignition key in ON just to give a feeding for SCV located on the HP fuel injection pump. It is not necessary to crank the engine. This ON position enables SCV to be opened (to suct diesel from suction line);

- Use primer booster pump (manualy driven) pump diesel and at the same time check what is going out of this scre/bolt on the lid. Once pure diesel is appeared, have this screw/bolt tighten and continue to pump just to push diesel thru the pump and further to recirculation line to the tank.

Try to start again. Besides check with both SCVs solenoids by el. tester whether they are in order. They must to click when you turn the ignition key in ON position before cranking.

Good Luck Colleague

Igor

Hmm lots of things to look at. Shame as I thought I only had to sort out Land-Rovers iffy product on the weekends.. Grrrr.

Since the weekends rain, the lumping is back on start-up. I'm pretty sure that it electrical as when it's dry its fine!! .. Think I'll pull apart all the connectors and clean them with terminal cleaner... then I'll spray everything in "dubs"! (WD40). Or move to a drier climate... or buy another Land Cruiser.

• 3 years later...

hello STEW

Agree with ANCHORMAN

- injection timing (?)

Good Luck Colleague

Igor

Hmm lots of things to look at. Shame as I thought I only had to sort out Land-Rovers iffy product on the weekends.. Grrrr.

Since the weekends rain, the lumping is back on start-up. I'm pretty sure that it electrical as when it's dry its fine!! .. Think I'll pull apart all the connectors and clean them with terminal cleaner... then I'll spray everything in "dubs"! (WD40). Or move to a drier climate... or buy another Land Cruiser.

I personally avoid WD40 on lekky bits, since it is a mild conductor in itself and may exacerbate any "tracking" of HT leads if/when already present. Furramore, it give ones bits an oily covering to which dirt and grit can adhere more easily, and can even further earth dodgy electrics. Clean and dry does it for me.....WD40 GOOD FOR WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN, and tracing such as inlet manifold leaks.

Big Kev .....told youz ah could also talk sense....see....?

Hi stewyinpagham,

Did you resolve the misfire on startup issue you were having? Was it a damp connection?

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee

No I never did get to the bottom of the gremlin. The T180 almost lived at Snows in Hedge-end Southampton for a month and all they did was change the starter motor. This was never going top be the fault and the problem remained until I backwards dealt with my local Citroen dealer for a Berlingo Multispace.

Stu

Cheers Stu. I shall continue to find the gremlin! Someone said for me to change the starter but I think not yet! Especially as yours was changed to no avail.

It hasn't happened for days now but I'd rather it happened all the time. Thanks again, Lee

Hi Lee

From your Avatar pic it appears you have the previous Rav to the one I had. I dont know if yor 'key' is directly connected to the starter motor relay or if there is a 'brain' in the way. I'm sure somebody here can help with that one as if it's directly connected there could be a sticky relay or contact that could be found using a test lamp. JUst because the starter was not the issue with my T180 don't discount it as I've had occasions on 'Landies' with starter motors hanging-in after the engine has started but this is usually down to poor build quality of Lucas and Bosch motors coupled with corrosion, oil, mud or all 3 in the flywheel housing!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links