Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'04 4runner Heater/ac Blower Faulty?

DarrylR

I just purchased a new '04 4Runner, and after 600 miles, the heater/ac fan intermittently refuses to turn on. Although the dash indicators say the fan is on, the fan motor isn't turning, and no air is emitted from the vents. This happens whether I use Auto or Manual climate control. It typically happens when I first start the car in the morning (it's not garaged, and is only partially protected from the elements on the side that faces my house). Once I've driven the car for a while, stopped, turned off the ignition, gotten out of the car, returned to the car (after running an errand of variable length), and turned the heat back on, the fan works fine.

The past few mornings haven't even been that cold (~25 F with overnight temperatures probably in the teens), but my gut tells me that it's got something to do with engine temperature. It worked throughout the recent East-coast cold snap, so I'm surprised that it's acting up now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Darryl R.

Took the car to the dealer today and they confirmed (after a call to Toyota's tech line) that this is a known problem, and that the solution is the replacement of the entire heating/AC module. The part will be in at 2pm tomorrow. Should have the truck back by 5pm.

Darryl R.

I still don't have my truck back! That will teach me to trust the stealer, uh, I mean dealer. The service rep now tells me that the part is on nationwide back order. I wonder why. Could it be that people all over the country need their heat to work reliably now that it's winter? Anyway, they've had my truck for 4 days, and they can't even give me an ETA on the part.

They provided me with a Corolla as substitute transportation. This was fine when I thought it would be a day, but now I'm going to have to insist on a comparable vehicle. And the beat goes on... :-(.

Darryl R.