Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Buy A Car Cover?

Arendee

I own a 1991 MR2 and for the next 2 years and the paint job is in great condition, its going to be parked in a parking lot and not driven 5 days a week (military).

I was considering buying a car cover, but I've also heard many negatives. The cover would need to protect against rain, sun, wind, snow, and... parking lot dirt. I've read that car covers trap dirt and the wind beat that dirt against the car causing scratches.

What are your recommendations, and how much can I expect to pay for a car cover?

Do I even need a car cover if I just clean and wax it every few weeks or so?

Thanks.

There was a thread in general about this reicently.

If it is outside, forget it. It'll rub, scuff and damage the paint.

The best ones are expensive, and lint lined. But even those will move about in the wind.

And the MR2 would need a custom one as it's not standard car shaped.

I would think if you washed and waxed it once and a while it would be alright and only suffer a very little, or should i say normal fading but 2 years isnt that long(i dont think). As for the snow i wouldnt drive it for 2 reasons, it handles horrible and also the salt from the roads will make it rust. Deployments might be a little harder being away 6 months or more(if on sea duty), storage might be a good idea if you were that concerned. Why wouldnt you drive it for 5 days a week, i use my 91 as a daily driver... quite reliable minus some little quirks, but then again im in Florida.

There was a thread in general about this reicently.

If it is outside, forget it. It'll rub, scuff and damage the paint.

The best ones are expensive, and lint lined. But even those will move about in the wind.

And the MR2 would need a custom one as it's not standard car shaped.

What he said :thumbsup:

Well I'm not 100% in the military quite yet, I go to the naval academy so I'm only allowed to leave the yard on weekends, that's why I'll only drive a couple days a week.

That's good advice for the salt and snow, I didn't think about that.

But yes I was thinking of spending a couple hundred on a custom MR2 cover and wondered if it was worth it.

But washing and waxing routinely seems to be the better choice so far.

If you are leaving it for a long time, wax it, but don't buff it off.

It's a job to remove it after, but it'll protect the paint.

Park it upside down so the rain can't get to the paint.

Had a custom car cover on my soup for about three years now. It's a Noah car cover which I got from the USA. It wasn't cheap, and has lasted well. I went for one with UV protection, breathable and shower proof. As far as I can tell it has not shagged the paint, the UV protection has stopped it fading (Red still not pink!)

It was this one, though not from the company on the link below.....

http://www.thecovercompany.co.uk/weathersh...car_covers.html

Hope this helps

I also have a custom made Noah outdoor car cover from the States, all the horror stories can apply to any car cover but if you buy the best you can it reduces the problems. So moisture does get through as does some dust but the benefits outweigh the problems.

You get an eyelet to tie the middle of the cover around the car but i do get some flapping in high winds , to date after 3 years of use, i have very little marks due to wind damage, if i had to pick holes in the cover is the amount of time it takes to dry after a downpour, it takes many hours .

My old girl is now 25 years old and the Red paint is as good now as a car half its age.

They say don't use a car cover on a freshly painted car as it can cause micro bubble, that's moisture getting into the new paint.

Newcover-1.jpg

It looks a a little baggy around the middle as its not strapped down under the car.

This is who i used.....

http://www.calcarcover.com/default.aspx

Maybe this photo is a positive reason to get a car cover :)

Jansnow005.jpg

Park it upside down so the rain can't get to the paint.

Hahahaha... LMAO!!!

I'd personally not bother getting one. I've had mine for 9 years now, fresh from Japan, and never had it covered. Keep it waxed. Blast it with a hose before washing it though to get the loose dirt and dust off... otherwise you'll scratch the paint. If you get a cheap car cover you'll end up getting condensation under it too, which really isn't good for the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links