Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yarsi Burning Oil

stuartc17

i serviced my 2003 yaris t-sport about 6 weeks ago i checked the oil 2 days ago and the diopstick was try. Why would it burn so much oil has anybody else got this problem. thanks

i serviced my 2003 yaris t-sport about 6 weeks ago i checked the oil 2 days ago and the diopstick was try. Why would it burn so much oil has anybody else got this problem. thanks

To lose so much oil in 6 weeks you either have a big leak or its burning it like theres no tomorrow

If its burning it you would see blue smoke.,,,alot

Or you may have a leak...puddles on the floor

Did you fill up correctly?

was it on level ground?

yes it was filled up corectly on level ground. i looked under the car, around the engine and there is no oil leak and there is no blue smoke thats the first thing i looked at

yes it was filled up corectly on level ground. i looked under the car, around the engine and there is no oil leak and there is no blue smoke thats the first thing i looked at

Any oil in expansion tank?

Any oil in expansion tank?

whats that?

Hi, what type and grade of oil did you use?

10w 40

If you wasn’t burning oil before the service 6 weeks ago and now its dry, it must have leaked either from the sump plug or the oil filter when you changed it. Have you checked the filter seal and the plug washer?

• Like 1

When you refilled it, did you check the level again after you had run the engine?

The oil filter itself probably holds 0.5l, so when you start the car after an oil change, the level will drop as it fills the filter.

If you only checked the level when you poured the oil in, you will see a difference - but not as much as you suggest.....

Also - and I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but do you know how much oil you actually put in? Is there a chance that you didn't wipe the dipstick from before it was drained, so the dipstick was showing a false reading and that you didn't actually put in the 3.5 litres or so that the sump needs?

When you refilled it, did you check the level again after you had run the engine?

The oil filter itself probably holds 0.5l, so when you start the car after an oil change, the level will drop as it fills the filter.

If you only checked the level when you poured the oil in, you will see a difference - but not as much as you suggest.....

Also - and I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but do you know how much oil you actually put in? Is there a chance that you didn't wipe the dipstick from before it was drained, so the dipstick was showing a false reading and that you didn't actually put in the 3.5 litres or so that the sump needs?

when i put the new oil in i put 3 litres in then started the car to get the new oil around the oil filter then let the oil settle then i put more oil in until it was at the max mark.

when i put the new oil in i put 3 litres in then started the car to get the new oil around the oil filter then let the oil settle then i put more oil in until it was at the max mark.

How much oil did it take the second time around to bring it up to max? Also in those 6 weeks how many miles did you cover and were most of them at high speeds?

How much oil did it take the second time around to bring it up to max? Also in those 6 weeks how many miles did you cover and were most of them at high speeds?

it took about half a litre

it took about half a litre

i had dun abot 1500 miles

I'm at a loss as to what it could be, all i know is oil is consumed at a higher rate when travelling at high speeds, so if this is the case for you then there is little to be concerned about ( you do have to keep a regular check on fluid levels in any case). You say you topped up with 0.5 litre, as far as i am aware the difference betwwen minimum and maximum is about 1 litre (I could be wrong)so there would have been plenty of oil in the sump as to cause no engine damage.

Is the oil level ok at the moment?

I'm at a loss as to what it could be, all i know is oil is consumed at a higher rate when travelling at high speeds, so if this is the case for you then there is little to be concerned about ( you do have to keep a regular check on fluid levels in any case). You say you topped up with 0.5 litre, as far as i am aware the difference betwwen minimum and maximum is about 1 litre (I could be wrong)so there would have been plenty of oil in the sump as to cause no engine damage.

Is the oil level ok at the moment?

yeah the oil is fine at the minute the engine is making a slight clicking noise

Hang about - as Stan says, it should take far more than half a litre to fill it from "off the stick" to full....

Its usually a litre from "low" to "high", so if it was off the bottom of the stick, it ought to have taken even more than that to top it up to full.

When you checked the level, the car was on level ground and the engine had been turned off for at least 10 minutes, hadn't it?

If you check it just after you've turned off the engine or when the car isn't level, that would give a false reading....

Hi see my post oil consumption in the forum I have a 1.8 SR

I can count on one hand the amount of Yaris owners that have lost oil (not counting the 1.8) 1... and its you! :o

They don’t use oil :thumbsup:

• 14 years later...

Make it 2 😄

1.5L, put 3.5L of 10W30 in it around 9,000kms ago

today she's turned up, oil light flickering, nothing on stick, top end rattle, no leaks, bit sludgy under cap, not blowing smoke...

otherwise fine

1 minute ago, MikeSh said:

14 years has to be the most zombie thread I've ever seen 🤣

HAHAHA same, didn't even look haha

not a bad motor then I guess haha

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links