Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replaced Clutch Now Have A Judder! Help!

londonmark

Hi,

This on behalf of my Dad!

He has a 2 ltr, petrol, manual Avensis which had done around 85K when the clutch just began to slip a little when he was driving up some of the 1 in 4 hills in Torquay. Anyway he got it replaced straght away at an independant garage rather than wait until it really needed doing. Since it has been done he has had a problem with it when he has four people in the car or it is heavily loaded he is getting a judder as he lets the clutch in on hills, not everytime but enought to drive him mad. He took it back to the garage who spent an hour with him test driving it (at no charge) befroe concluding that its either a faulty clutch, in which case its a warrenty repair or the flywheel has warped and either must be skimmed or replaced which he will have to pay for?!?!

I would have thought that if it was the latter then it would have had to have got very hot but as I say he replaced the clutch as soon as it began to slip rather than waiting for it to be slipping all the time.

Anybody any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Mark

The garage may have caused the problem when fitting the new clutch.

It sounds like the friction plate is slightly distorted. The will have happened when the gearbox was offered up to the engine. It may not have been supoorted correctly. The entire weight of the transmission may have been hanging on the input shaft momentarily causing the friction plate to over-flex and distort.

If any problems were caused when the original clutch began to slip they would have been identified when the fitter removed the old components.

Did he fit a genuine clutch? If not, some of the cheaper replacement parts used these days use low quality friction materials to save cost

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, its going back in tomorrow so we will see what the garage says. Its useful to know they should have picked up any problems when they changed it and that it could have been caused by them!

Cheers

MB

Thanks for the advice, its going back in tomorrow so we will see what the garage says. Its useful to know they should have picked up any problems when they changed it and that it could have been caused by them!

Cheers

MB

In agreement with Kingo, Q.H. (quinton hazel) clutches used to be notorious for judder. If you can't run to the price of a genuine, always go for a quality manufacturer like Borg and Beck, Sachs or possibly Valeo. Never go for the 'remanufactured' clutches offered by some companies they're just not worth the trouble they can be.

Hi,

This on behalf of my Dad!

He has a 2 ltr, petrol, manual Avensis which had done around 85K when the clutch just began to slip a little when he was driving up some of the 1 in 4 hills in Torquay. Anyway he got it replaced straght away at an independant garage rather than wait until it really needed doing. Since it has been done he has had a problem with it when he has four people in the car or it is heavily loaded he is getting a judder as he lets the clutch in on hills, not everytime but enought to drive him mad. He took it back to the garage who spent an hour with him test driving it (at no charge) befroe concluding that its either a faulty clutch, in which case its a warrenty repair or the flywheel has warped and either must be skimmed or replaced which he will have to pay for?!?!

I would have thought that if it was the latter then it would have had to have got very hot but as I say he replaced the clutch as soon as it began to slip rather than waiting for it to be slipping all the time.

Anybody any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Mark

Hya mate,

I had a similar thing until I had the clutch and flywheel changed. now runs sweet as a nut.

Similar problem woth mine at the moment :(

The gearbox conked out due to bearing problems last February. The mechanic recommended replacing the clutch at the same time as the gearbox. Ever since then I've had a judder - it only happens in first gear and is worse when the car is fully loaded.

problem is that the clutch would be out of warranty by now so I've decided to live with it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Searching through the forums and found this topic which seems to match my situation as well.

Had my clutch replaced at a local mechanic about 5 months ago. Old clutch was not releasing properly so couldn't change gears. New clutch improved things massively but I've also got this juddering when just on the biting point, more noticable in 1st gear but can affect 2nd and 3rd to a lesser extent.

My mechanic is also now reluctant to investigate the issue, he believes its probably the fly wheel, so why didn't he check it when he took the gearbox out???? Now he wants to charge me to take the gearbox out etc.. to look at the flywheel. I took it back to him as soon as I noticed the Juddering the same week and he told me give it some time to bed in. Well its been about 4000 miles and its still juddering....

I believe he put in a Blueprint branded clutch, could be that its poor quality or my fly wheel needs placing. Either way its more expense...