Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignition Key Stuck In Barrel

orangepen

Hi Everyone...sorry if this has been covered already, but i can't see an answer after searching.

I have a 96 Carina E, dearly loved. The ignition key won't come out of the switch. It comes out almost to the last notch then sticks. I don't think it's a key thing, rather something wrong with the barrel. Can I just replace the barrel & key from a breaker, or is there some re programming involved for the immobiliser?

I have also Carina E 96, same problem - I found that it is when the steering wheel is at full left or full right position - just return the wheel 1/4 rotation before geting the key out of the barrel and you will not have this problem.

I hope it will help for you also.

• 2 months later...
Hi Everyone...sorry if this has been covered already, but i can't see an answer after searching.

I have a 96 Carina E, dearly loved. The ignition key won't come out of the switch. It comes out almost to the last notch then sticks. I don't think it's a key thing, rather something wrong with the barrel. Can I just replace the barrel & key from a breaker, or is there some re programming involved for the immobiliser?

Hi, I had the same problem just before sending it in for the MOT and i was quoted 550+ to repair because i needed a new barrel, plus new keys, immobiliser and starter somethingorother had to be altered or changed. So as you can imagine the key is still in the ignition as it doesn't affect the MOT just the insurance...... Can't wait for the new quote.

• 7 years later...

Whoever paid for a new barrel got ripped of I had the same issue just nowanted I removed 2 screws from plastic cover removed the whole barrel by pushing a little knob so easy and it slid out. On the barrel there is a gold rod this gets lose so does not activate the mechanism in lock. I just gently turned key and held it down firmly and keys were out also put it back together tight and now resolved. No money no new keys