Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pet Insurance

Demonic Angel

I've insured Jess & Alfie with Tesco since they were kittens and my renewals coming up and they've quoted me £12.17 a month for both of them....

It's a Standard policy, so includes up to £2,500 of vets fees for illness, injury or disease, as well as accidental death cover, loss & theft cover, advertising costs if either of them go missing and covers hospitalisation of me as well.

They've always been fairly healthy cats, so I've never had to make a claim, however I'd never not have pet insurance..... vets bills are bad enough without possible serious medical complaints as well!

Just really looking for any alternative insurers that people could recommend - cost no issue but obviously I don't want to be paying a daft amount.... I've gone to a few comparison websites, but some personal recommendations would be great. I've heard Petplan are very good, but don't know any owners that use them....

Just want them to have the best insurance cover, they are my most precious commodity after all (or at least in their eyes' they are!) :lol:

Hi Em as regards to pet insurance, we have found over the years with loads of cats and a dog, is if you have their jabs done once a year and look after their health, its

not really worth getting, as not all the illnesses are covered, so we just pay as we go along its not for everyone but it works for us, you could always open a savings

account if your worried about a big bill. Our cats have always gone to the rspca hospital in salford they dont charge much, its the one Rolf does his show from, you only

pay for drugs and a couple of quid per night, saves paying £12-£15 per month for something that probably wont happen. It doesnt mean you love them any less, by the

way our cat has stopped getting in the engine bay,still gets loads of mice though i hope you are ok, later Dave

Have often wondered & considered it, but, as usual, stopped at that :(

I have pretty well gone as David J suggested & paid as I go :unsure: So far so good.

Glad your Cat is no longer in the Engine Bay :lol: Reading between the lines, I guess you didn't go the Cat flap route :P

It has its disadvantages, as I have regularly had presents brought in of birds, worms, bees & 1 frog.. Very dead birds are the worst, as the feathers & down keep appearing for weeks :yucky:

I have pretty well gone as David J suggested & paid as I go :unsure: So far so good.

Glad your Cat is no longer in the Engine Bay :lol: Reading between the lines, I guess you didn't go the Cat flap route :P

It has its disadvantages, as I have regularly had presents brought in of birds, worms, bees & 1 frog.. Very dead birds are the worst, as the feathers & down keep appearing for weeks :yucky:

Hi mate yeah i went with the smelly spay it seemed to work the reason being like your cat ours brings all sorts of creatures in mice mainly and a few times

they are still alive the last time it was a mouse with one of its legs chewed off, it ran under the fridge and hid in the back, i had to put the fridge on its side to get

it out,the wife was on the chair screaming lol, i put it in a tub and released it in the garden dont know if it survived or what never said thanks so i thought id give the

flap a miss

Hi mate yeah i went with the smelly spay it seemed to work the reason being like your cat ours brings all sorts of creatures in mice mainly and a few times

they are still alive the last time it was a mouse with one of its legs chewed off, it ran under the fridge and hid in the back, i had to put the fridge on its side to get

it out,the wife was on the chair screaming lol, i put it in a tub and released it in the garden dont know if it survived or what never said thanks so i thought id give the

flap a miss

did you put wife in the tub or the mouse :huh:

flap a miss

did you put wife in the tub or the mouse :huh:

Same difference :lol: Either way, peace was restored to the Starkie household :rolleyes:

Hi Em as regards to pet insurance, we have found over the years with loads of cats and a dog, is if you have their jabs done once a year and look after their health, its

not really worth getting, as not all the illnesses are covered, so we just pay as we go along its not for everyone but it works for us, you could always open a savings

account if your worried about a big bill. Our cats have always gone to the rspca hospital in salford they dont charge much, its the one Rolf does his show from, you only

pay for drugs and a couple of quid per night, saves paying £12-£15 per month for something that probably wont happen. It doesnt mean you love them any less, by the

way our cat has stopped getting in the engine bay,still gets loads of mice though i hope you are ok, later Dave

Knew the bitter Apple would sort it!

The insurance route works, I couldn't guarantee I'd have the money to treat them should they need it, plus as I live next to quite a busy main road, there is a chance they'll get injured. It's not happened to them in the 3 years I've lived here (touch wood) but it might - lots of pets have died on the roads round here.... it's just not worth the aggro of not only having one of them needed a life saving op but also to find the money as well.... I'd probably struggle to cope, both emotionally and financially.

My Mums old cat had to have emergency surgery out of the blue, they didn't have insurance so I think in the end it was about £600.....

And yeah - me and saving money..... it doesn't really work!

That's the thing with most insurances though, it probably won't happen but if it does, they'll be covered. They don't have any previous medical conditions that won't be covered and the only other things that aren't are routine or preventative treatments, vaccinations, pregnancy and tooth/gum issues.....

For me it's peace of mind.... the road out here is a bugger.... I'm constantly worried about them as it is, so the fact they're insured, well it makes me feel a bit better that if something happens, I can get them to the vet and not have to worry about the cost of treatment and they can have the best possible care and I don't have to worry about whether my budget will stretch to the cost of their treatment - even for routine stuff vets are expensive enough! :yes:

The insurance route works, I couldn't guarantee I'd have the money to treat them should they need it, plus as I live next to quite a busy main road, there is a chance they'll get injured. It's not happened to them in the 3 years I've lived here (touch wood) but it might - lots of pets have died on the roads round here.... it's just not worth the aggro of not only having one of them needed a life saving op but also to find the money as well.... I'd probably struggle to cope, both emotionally and financially.

My Mums old cat had to have emergency surgery out of the blue, they didn't have insurance so I think in the end it was about £600.....

That's the thing with most insurances though, it probably won't happen but if it does, they'll be covered. They don't have any previous medical conditions that won't be covered and the only other things that aren't are routine or preventative treatments, vaccinations, pregnancy and tooth/gum issues.....

For me it's peace of mind.... the road out here is a bugger.... I'm constantly worried about them as it is, so the fact they're insured, well it makes me feel a bit better that if something happens, I can get them to the vet and not have to worry about the cost of treatment and they can have the best possible care and I don't have to worry about whether my budget will stretch to the cost of their treatment - even for routine stuff vets are expensive enough! :yes:

i feel like that with the wifes parents :lol:

Cant beat euthanasia , sorry Tiddles, sorry Rover, sorry mum and dad :D

did you sort out a decent offer we dont have to worry about cars as our cats only seem to go out of our back garden which backs on to the tram tracks

id probably be more worried if i watched them go over the road the lad next door zips about really fast, have you seen the site bizzare has posted its really funny

after you watch the first clip click on more cat video, some of them are so funny we just spent half an hour having a good giggle so thanks bizzare(?) hope i spelt it right.

Another one for "Cat people" Plenty more attached & in most of them - bin there & dun that :lol:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

As much as I love Simons Cat, I'd really appreciate if this was kept on topic..... :rolleyes:

Sorry, Em :( You know I have an incurable disease which involves straying off topic in all directions :rolleyes:

Em have you looked at Tesco pet insurance its£3.99 for a three year old cat and 35% off if you get it on line may be worth a peek .

Vet bills are very expensive!! our last dog cost us a fortune as we hadnt got her insured!!

the two dogs i have now are insured with Argos!!! think they do 3 different levels of cover!!

my mums vets advertise and promote pet plan!!!

Beginning to come round to your point of view ,EM :rolleyes:

Have just come back from Vet with Azumi :(

She was shaking her head a lot, not scratching, though. Thought it might be mites. He peered in with a special instrument & said it was pus. He gave her an antibiotic jab & put drops in . He gave me the bottle & said to put them in twice daily for a week. Euro 55 please for a simple job :rolleyes: Hate to think what a major Op would be. :(

I'm in trouble too. Very quiet small bundle @ the very back of the basket on the way home & has been missing for 2 hours now, despite the rain.

Putting in the drops was easy for him, with me holding her like a vice with both arms. Tomorrow will be fun, NOT, with me trying to hold her , one armed, while I aim for her ears with the other :o

I meant to ask him the cause of it, but got chatting & was home before I remembered.

Hi Em

My cat was insured with Tesco and the premiums have gradually increased to £25 but she is pedigree and now 13.

Luckily I've never had to use pet insurance, but I was looking around and found that More Than did two levels of cover which look good - you might've seen them already but there's a link HERE to the info page and the costs seem very reasonable for what is covered. The Tesco policy has only just ended and I'm looking around at the mo too.

Had a quick look on a few review sites and as with any insurance you get good and bad reviews everywhere!

I definately will get her insured ASAP, mine is an indoor cat but she could still get out the front onto our residential street and I'd much rather pay £15 or thereabouts a month for reassurance.

Tina.

Just seen tina reccomended more than. I would too i have two staffies both insured with them on top plan for 9.50 a month each.

I have also claimed for a minor op to remove a grass seed from one of their paws last year and i was refunded really quickly

Can I just add my two pennith worth here as I own 3 dogs & 2 cats. All are insured with E&L (equine & livestock). Very good company, not a broker like Tesco or most of others & I would ALWAYS recommend being insured as my year old cat got hit by a car & the vet bill was 4500!!! My cats are £4.15 each & pup with 4k worth of cover is £8.15

Can I just add my two pennith worth here as I own 3 dogs & 2 cats. All are insured with E&L (equine & livestock). Very good company, not a broker like Tesco or most of others & I would ALWAYS recommend being insured as my year old cat got hit by a car & the vet bill was 4500!!! My cats are £4.15 each & pup with 4k worth of cover is £8.15

Just looking at their website.... they look pretty good and the 'Gold' cover is cheaper that I thought it would be.... is that what you have?

yes for the cats & silver for the dog. I do a monthly premium rather than yearly & you dont pay any extra interest either. They paid up the 4k (max amount) for the cat with no questions or problems. really good. I have been with quite a few but More Than etc are all brokers & there are I think only two main insurers. I know if you look at swiftcover it is owned by Norwich union or similar!!

jaine