Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Brakes Need Replacing After 23,000 Miles?

PhillWalker

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could pass opinion if this sounds right?

I have a 2006 new shape toyota yaris, and I took the car to toyota for a check over and they have stated that the brakes are 80% worn and need replacing. The car is coming up to 3 years old in September, and has done 22,700 miles. Surely this does not sound right? The car is driven conservativly at all times.

Unfortunatly ive had endless problems with it in the past including replacement central locking, head gasket, leaking washer unit, replacement pump, O2 sensors, split manifold sensor, and now a chirping from a belt which is why it went in today.

Any advice is welcome.

Phill

Well brake pads do wear down and are a consumable item, so it could be right. Also brake disks have a minimum thickness and if they wear they will need replacing too.

That said, 22,000 miles does seem a bit low, but then, that depends upon how hard the brake pads are.

We had a (Jap) 2000 Yaris that was still on its original pads after 60000 miles, but they could have been a very different compound than that fitted to your French built car.

Different types of pads wear down at different rates, so all you can really do is see how other 2006 Yaris owners respond to your post....

It may be "normal wear" or it might be abnormal - but whichever it is, if they really have worn down, they will need to be replaced....

Hi there, I had over 50,000 miles on my yaris front pads, and it was also a 2006 model. I have had many problems with my car, all done under warranty, but suprising from a toyota! What model is yours?

Hi there, I had over 50,000 miles on my yaris front pads, and it was also a 2006 model. I have had many problems with my car, all done under warranty, but suprising from a toyota! What model is yours?

sorry phil, just saw your profile, 1.3 T3. I know that toyta have a new 1.3 stop start engine out now. I renewed the warranty on mine , I would do the same if was you, I have already had a new horn ( i don't use it much, by the way!) and a new Catalytic converter replaced since the original 60,000 mile warranty expired.

good luck,

sheldon

sorry phil, just saw your profile, 1.3 T3. I know that toyta have a new 1.3 stop start engine out now. I renewed the warranty on mine , I would do the same if was you, I have already had a new horn ( i don't use it much, by the way!) and a new Catalytic converter replaced since the original 60,000 mile warranty expired.

good luck,

sheldon

Well when the head gasket went I wrote and complained and they gave me a 1 year extended warranty for free, though you still have to pay the diagnostics fee. I am quite suprised as to how many problems ive had.

I guess the brakes are just a softer compound as were my original tyres which lasted 9,000 miles because they were super soft the centre said. Im now on £30 each budgets 13,000 miles later and they look as new as the day I bought them!

the Yaris is famous for brakepad queries.... some wear out alarmingly fast, (under 10,000 miles) others last for 40,000-plus! Tyres too, can do this, on any vehicle. some last 30,000 -on, others wear in 5-6 thousand! can make a difference by driving careful, but soft tyres are NEVER gonna last till hell freezes over, nor will rubbish brake pads!

Would be worth a poll, though to see if the froggy pads wear out faster or if that is just us japaholics using the whip to beat the french, again! After all, it may be just as likely the jap ones wear fast too, sometimes!

Hi Folks,

Well Brake pads!

No its not correct!

Thing is I didn't notice whether you said both sides?

One side only you could suspect the caliper is sticking

Both then Brake drag brakes not set up correct (Mechanism) hard to explain try cornering in a car park gently see if you can here the brakes dragging?

However my first Yaris 2003 had scored discs at aroud 20K were skimmed by toyota free of charge then they thought they needed doing next service I sid they had already been skimmed. They replaced them on service under warranty.

I bought this car as an ex demonstrator so wasn't exactly brand new so don't be conned they did it free and on what gets often banded by garages as consumables, so why shouldn't you (Listers of Coventry - Hurrah for Listers!).

I think Pad differences or metal grades copuld be the difference but usually down to calipers dragging, hoses too short causong drag particularly on cornering etc.

I have bought two others from Listers since but Nuneaton nearer dealership nothing wrong just nearer easier to get to!

I did have a problem with my next a new shape 1.3 belt noise was down to misalign ment apprently inthe end wasn't easy to spot took them 3 attempts, <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ing annoying!

I had a 56 reg yaris 1.3 T3 -- and also had far more problems than i expected from it...hence why i've got rid of it before the old warranty expired -- i did consider extending the warrenty - but wasnt worth the money IMO.

waiting for my new aygo now which i expect to be better than the yaris.

Toyota said it was both sides. I took the car in for a check on the belt as it was making a noise when cold, and they couldnt find a fault, just said i would have to bring it back for a cold start test in mid august, and whilst it was there I asked them to give the brakes a once over just because I thought it may have been pulling to the left under braking, and all they said was no fault found but they are 80% gone.

I had a problem with my Yaris 2000 Yaris brakes pulling to the left under braking.

You couldn't notice it around town. Only if you tried to brake really strongly from 40mph plus.

Take it out on an empty stretch of dry road and try braking firmly from a speed over 45mph. Mine had a marked pul to the left. The garages and MOT tester couldn't find any fault.

It turned out to be the back brakes not the front brakes.

Normally, its the front brakes that cause pullling, so that's all the garages were checking.

Toyota said it was both sides. I took the car in for a check on the belt as it was making a noise when cold, and they couldnt find a fault, just said i would have to bring it back for a cold start test in mid august, and whilst it was there I asked them to give the brakes a once over just because I thought it may have been pulling to the left under braking, and all they said was no fault found but they are 80% gone.

Re noisey belt:

Try using a silicone silicone spray on the belt and pulleys, you'll be amazed how quite it gets.I think it's a common fault with the yaris as excess water runs onto this area every time you wash the car resulting in rusty pulleys. Look for spray cans that come with straws as it makes it very easy to reach all the pulleys, I have adapted the straw from a can of wd40 (smart spray) to fit on a can of silicone SL50 spray.If you don't have any silicone then try WD40 to see if it works (i would'nt use it instead of, on a regular basis though) Let us know how you get on, thanks.

I don't think you mean "spray WD40 on the belt" do you? Pulley bearings possibly, but on the belt is bad advice. Spray grease on the bearings is a better idea (motorcycle chain lube) as it's anti fling and stays where it's sprayed without getting splattered all over the surrounding area.

I don't think you mean "spray WD40 on the belt" do you? Pulley bearings possibly, but on the belt is bad advice. Spray grease on the bearings is a better idea (motorcycle chain lube) as it's anti fling and stays where it's sprayed without getting splattered all over the surrounding area.

Yes I did mean spray the belt but only as a 'one off', just in case he didn't have any silicone lubricant, and if it worked it would justify the cost of buying some. Spraying the pulley bearings with WD or chain lube would not only be futile but would leave a horrible mess, as the bearings are of the sheilded type thus preventing any sort of lubrication whatsoever, the usual suspect is belt noise as opposed to bearing rumble.Hope that has made some sense!

Spraying lubricant onto a friction driven belt is a stupid idea. If anyone wants to try it out, then at your own risk, eh.. :rolleyes:

Phiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil

You didn't listen!

Prior to my SR I have had two others!

The first was the older shape pre-2006 new shape that had brake wear probs but it was the disk's not the calipers however if they're that bad it suggest the calipers are both sticking or assembled incorrectly and are dragging wearing them prematurely obviously your dealership isn't up to much might be worth trying another if theres one not too far away.

Belt noise well my 2006 1.3 (new shape) started early on it went back several times it would go away after 5-15 mins was low level first year.

Second year it really started to get on my grits!!!! it went back in this time it was doing it even when warm but intermittently (always 20 miles or more from the dealer). Anyway it was due for a service then wammo some stupid tart in a lexus ran into the back of it so lost it intermittenlty for several months till I took it out of the insurance hands took it to Toyota and said fix!!!! then told the insurance company they were paying the bill. After the engineer looked at it he agreed bodged job fix it now any cost!!! Wahoooooooooooo.

Anyway rambles on they looked at the pulley before returning it oh yes look at the pully its out of line (i tell u Ilooked at it too it was barely percievable but it was the belt was changed a second time, pully shimmed success!

Never use WD40 near any rubbber!!!!!

Silcon isnt as bad but softens belt and will fail early, all backstreet garage fixes don't listen to those chimps it aint right!!! get it fixed!!!

Oh yes as same time Aircon failed thats how they new the pulley was out of line I believe....

Sounds like you got a right friday afternoon car...

They're normally a sound product mind u more are being made in france these days say no more!

Sorry if spellin ***** was in a hurry

Tell the dealer they are wrong get it fixed!!!

2 new disc's, two new calipers or warranty right now!

oh don't forget new pads too and use toyota not cheapo after market otherwise you dersve no discs!!!

I would say it's rare that belt noise on the mk2 yaris is caused by misaligned pulleys, in your case perhaps but how many owners have experienced this common fault and done /said nothing? Like I said before it is a common problem (only a problem if you enjoy a smooth quiet engine) water gets onto the pulleys and into the grooves causing them to rust and the poly vee belts then dont sit on the pulleys as they should.causing this dreadful noise. Silicone spray is a dry lubricant which prevents rust forming on the pulleys, yes it does slightly soften the belts but the belts do appear to last, the alternative is to change the belts everytime they get noisey ( which would be quite often) or just to ignore it and risk premature belt failure due to the extra friction whilst at the same time enduring that embarassing din. Eventually the pulleys may also need replacing.

I have been using silicone for a few years now and have not yet had to replace a failed belt.

The ideal solution would be to stop the water getting onto them in the first place, now if you could do that then please let me be the fist to know.

Well, Well !..

My 06 yaris is in the dealer yet again today, and i get a horrible rattling noise when the aircon is on, i have already had an aircon pump fail due to the bearings failing, and the noises were the same last time !..

Now when i had my car new i had about 6 attempts to get my sqeeking fan belt fixed, and was told by the dealer on the last fix, that the belts had been modified.

My water pump has also failed.

I have never, ever had so many problems with a car !

It's very intresting to know that other owners are suffering as well, and you have my understanding and sympathy.

Techy

Well its booked in for Monday 4pm at toyota. They want to keep it overnight and do a cold start test as they "couldnt hear anything" last time. Funny that, considering 6 months earlier they tightened a belt and it helped for 2 days then came back. They said they would replace it if it happened again, but they have to find the fault again first :Z

Im going to ask the brakes to be checked again, see whats said this time, see if they change their story, and ill challange them this time if they are 80% gone.

Got my old yaris going in for an MOT next week too, so if that fails, i might just palm this car off to mum and look at an Auris / Urban Cruiser or something jap built. I agree it sounds like a right Friday afternoon car.

Stan - what product do you use on your belt? I've wanted to use silicon spray/belt dressing but can never find any. And do you spray it directly on the belt or onto the pulleys?

I use a belt dressing spray that I got from Walmart on holiday in the States - If you're going or know someone who is, that might be an option....

I haven't needed to use it on the new Yarii yet though.... My old Alfa 156 was the last recipient....

Stan - what product do you use on your belt? I've wanted to use silicon spray/belt dressing but can never find any. And do you spray it directly on the belt or onto the pulleys?

You can use any silicone spray that is available from most motor accessory shops or motor factors, I use a product called SL50 not because it's better than other sprays but because I manage to get it from someone who buys it at trade price, but any can of silicone will do. I have seen it at Halfords for about £4.(Go to their web site and search silicone spray, they do their own brand which says it's for lubricating rubber parts).

I spray it directly onto the A/C pulley as it's the easiest to get to. If you do it while the engine is ruuning (care needed for safety reasons) you will notice the difference instantly.It's a lot easier with a straw attatched.

Like I said previously, I have been using it for a few years now with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever, just positive results.

Toyota have just called and said they can hear the noise, and are replacing the belt this afternoon under warranty.

They say that there is nothing catching with the brakes or no fault, and say it is perfectly normal for them to wear out in 25,000 miles because of the soft compound they are made of, compared with asbestos in older cars.

Now I have 2 wipers and 2 tyres that want doing too, as well as road tax and insurance at the end of the month!! Expensive all in all. At least the belt was free!

The belt they replaced looking at the paperwork was the V belt. Will test tomorrow and report back.

As for the brakes I had a call from head office asking if I was satisfied with the service, so I said yes, but not happy about the brakes not lasting, they said they would email the aftersales manager to take it up.

I found he was quite helpful in getting me a free extended warranty, so there may be some hope yet. Apparantly its not unheard of they may replace the brakes, but as a one time only gesture in certain cases.