Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mki Prius

jamesholden

Has anyone on here got an original Prius - I have been thinking about getting one now the prices are getting realisitc, not necessarily for fuel savings but because i like the technology and digital screens.

Does the original have the Battery only operation mode like the new has (where you press a button to only run on battery)?

Anything else about them?

Does the original have the battery only operation mode like the new has (where you press a button to only run on battery)?

The Battery only mode on the new one will only ever do you for 2km max. Also, it will flip into normal mode for a variety of reasons. Traveling over 29mph is the main reason. They also reckon it can mess up your fuel consumption as the car always knows which combination of power to use is best.

Mind you, could be useful for sneaking away from the mistress's house at the dead of night. Shame I haven't got one :blink:

• 1 year later...
Has anyone on here got an original Prius - I have been thinking about getting one now the prices are getting realisitc, not necessarily for fuel savings but because i like the technology and digital screens.

Does the original have the battery only operation mode like the new has (where you press a button to only run on battery)?

Anything else about them?

Yes - well almost. I pick up my Mk.1 Prius this saturday and I'm really excited. Mind you, the MG ZT 1.8T is going to have its nose put out, it thought it had sole command of my motpring needs. I'm retired now but used to run the club for Dolomite Sprints - always been a fan of great technology!

I'm only just starting on a steep learning curve but I believe the all-electric mode only operates at low speeds, maybe 15mph or so, and I don't think it's lockable. I have now test driven both models and - having read a few disparaging reviews on the Mk.1 I was delighted to find it compared well with the new model though power of both motor and engine is down in comparison.

I know I'm going to upset a few folk but I wasn't too keen on the styling of the new Prius - but then I've spent most of my time sitting in very traditional cars!

More comments later, as I discover just what I've boiught. I do know it's got a helluva mileage on it (around 90,000) and the srvice records suggest no replacmeents apart from brake pads/shoes and discs. A good omen?

Hi,

I've had my Mk1 Prius for just over a week and it's fantastic! Unless something drastic happened I'd never go back to driving an old-fashioned low-tech petrol-only powered car again! Go for it! You won't be disappointed. They're comfortable, quiet and refined. The auto gearbox is really smooth, not like on the new Corolla I borrowed for a few days last week whilst my Prius&Joy was having a bit of the paintwork touched up, courtesy of the garage.

As another Prius owner said in reply to a different question, you become a much better driver in one of these.

Good luck!

G.

Hi.

I became an owner of the classic Prius back in January - been impressed ever since. I regard the car as having 2 engines - plenty of power when required, but VERY economical all the time.

In January I was getting about 54 mpg as it takes a while longer for the petrol engine to warm up from start, but now summer is here I've been getting in excess of 62 mpg - brilliant!

I have been disappointed with the video screen as it could have been used to give SatNav info and Cruise control, just as the US version has, but the !Removed! must have decided we don't need those options so left the buttons on the dash and left the video to just display the fact that the requested function is diconnected!

I would love a new Prius, as I think it is a more practical car with a hatchback and in my opinion better shape.

But for economy, fully automatic technology controlling the Battery charging and deciding on levels of power from which engine etc, the smooth acceleration with the constantly variable gearbox and almost silent movement in reverse and stop/start motoring (when the engines warm and Battery fully charged) it is wonderful and I have no regrets about my purchase.

Mine had 80,000 miles on the clock for a 4 year old - that indicates to me that it is totally reliable (serviced regularly probably helped!), I'm just waiting for the first service under my ownership seeing as Toyota have a virtual monopoly on servicing the hybrid, so I don't know what that is going to cost - but I shall offset that against the petrol savings!

Happy Prius hunting!

D.

Hi.

I became an owner of the classic Prius back in January - been impressed ever since. I regard the car as having 2 engines - plenty of power when required, but VERY economical all the time.

In January I was getting about 54 mpg as it takes a while longer for the petrol engine to warm up from start, but now summer is here I've been getting in excess of 62 mpg - brilliant!

I have been disappointed with the video screen as it could have been used to give SatNav info and Cruise control, just as the US version has, but the !Removed! must have decided we don't need those options so left the buttons on the dash and left the video to just display the fact that the requested function is diconnected!

I would love a new Prius, as I think it is a more practical car with a hatchback and in my opinion better shape.

But for economy, fully automatic technology controlling the battery charging and deciding on levels of power from which engine etc, the smooth acceleration with the constantly variable gearbox and almost silent movement in reverse and stop/start motoring (when the engines warm and battery fully charged) it is wonderful and I have no regrets about my purchase.

Mine had 80,000 miles on the clock for a 4 year old - that indicates to me that it is totally reliable (serviced regularly probably helped!), I'm just waiting for the first service under my ownership seeing as Toyota have a virtual monopoly on servicing the hybrid, so I don't know what that is going to cost - but I shall offset that against the petrol savings!

Happy Prius hunting!

D.

Hi

Just a brief reply. 24 hours before I pick up my Prius 1 and I can't wait. The car has sat. nav (it wasn't just US models that had this) but no cruise control, but an aftermarket cruise device has been added with a diddly little remote to operate it. I'll have to read the instructions to see how it works.

I find it had to believe that Toyota would put buttons on the dash that don't apply to the car, are you sure there isn't just a fault with the sat nav - like a missing dvd?

I too will be interested to see what servicing costs are like. As I'm getting all the old receipts I shall probably spend sat. eve seeing how costs compare with my MG ZT. My MG dealer really blotted his copybook when, at the 20000 mile service (carried out at 3500 miles) he needed to replace a numberplate bulb and charged me £15 plus vat for the privilege! ouch.

More when I've got the car home.

Hi.

But for economy, fully automatic technology controlling the battery charging and deciding on levels of power from which engine etc, the smooth acceleration with the constantly variable gearbox and almost silent movement in reverse and stop/start motoring (when the engines warm and battery fully charged) it is wonderful and I have no regrets about my purchase.

Happy Prius hunting!

D.

Hi

Just a brief reply. 24 hours before I pick up my Prius 1 and I can't wait. The car has sat. nav (it wasn't just US models that had this) but no cruise control, but an aftermarket cruise device has been added with a diddly little remote to operate it. I'll have to read the instructions to see how it works.

I find it had to believe that Toyota would put buttons on the dash that don't apply to the car, are you sure there isn't just a fault with the sat nav - like a missing dvd?

I too will be interested to see what servicing costs are like. As I'm getting all the old receipts I shall probably spend sat. eve seeing how costs compare with my MG ZT. My MG dealer really blotted his copybook when, at the 20000 mile service (carried out at 3500 miles) he needed to replace a numberplate bulb and charged me £15 plus vat for the privilege! ouch.

More when I've got the car home.

Hi again

Monday morning and my new toy is sitting on the driveway smirking to itself. Uneventful journey home from the dealer, followed by a short run up to Brill yesterday afternoon "to try it out". Must say the drive was very relaxing and the auto hold for downhill bits was appreciated. Even though this was a short run from cold the mpg worked out at 59.1 - I was duly impressed.

Videodave blue is right about the sat nav controls, these are on the dash even in cars without the feature! I'm lucky, mine's got full working sat nav, must remember to cast my eyes on the road occasionally.

Surprise, surprise. As I climbed the hill to the windmill what did I spy but ANOTHER EARLY (2002) PRIUS parked at the foot, if it's resident I shall have to make contact.

Happy motoring and avoid all the loonies.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links