Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Disc Minimum Thickness?

Panners

Morning. Would someone be kind enough to provide an answer to my query please? Front disc is warped, away from home working in a remote part of the country, no easy access to get replacement disc but there's someone at work willing to skim the disc for me... The car is 04 T Sport. Thanks. Would've done a search but the only internet here is on my phone which is patchy at best.

Morning. Would someone be kind enough to provide an answer to my query please? Front disc is warped, away from home working in a remote part of the country, no easy access to get replacement disc but there's someone at work willing to skim the disc for me... The car is 04 T Sport. Thanks. Would've done a search but the only internet here is on my phone which is patchy at best.

Easy answer this 'un.. With a question!! Generally a disc will warp if its been abused or if its got thin and weak!! Which is yours?

If the disc is brand new, then you could expect to take 2-4mm off its surface before replacing.. Although ive seen double that more mm wear(then they warped and cracked).

Choice is yours. I'd not consider skimming unless the discs were brand new personally. Its probly cause they got thin that they warped?? As even if you live somewhere remote.. Cant parcel force get near?

I take my Corolla Gti trackside.. We took 8mm out of a 12mm disc. It stilll worked... Very not clever though!! If a disc warped, i wouldnt consider skimming. Unless brand new. You may weaken the disc. It may shatter!!

For the sake of it! An 04 T-sport and you dont want to call a motorfactor and order a disc, but you can type away here? C'mon mate, get a grip! Your not that far away from civilisation.. One call to a motorfactor.. Hey presto!

Jock, thanks for the dimensions. I appreciate you taking the time. Redneck, good points you made regarding issues of safety, the most sensible route to go down. I'll make the call. Cheers.

Got new set of discs/pads arriving today, all tooled up courtesy of a colleague. Are there any pitfalls? Or is it a simple job as per? i.e. Caliper and carrier off, and disc retaining screw?