Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Decisions, Decisions

womble68

Having just sold my Starlet SR, I'm looking for something to replace it, but haven't completely decided. I'm looking at either a Yaris T Sport, Corolla 1.6 --> T Sport, or a Honda Civic 1.6 Sport. Whatever choice it would probably have to be second hand (anything Y Reg or newer) as I'd expect brand new would be too much.

So everyone what are your opinions what would you choose and why?? :)

I'd probably go for the Civic, but that's because I'm quickly going off ALL the Toyota dealers in Bristol.

Failing that go for the Corolla. I've got nothing against the Yaris (I like driving my partner's Yaris), but it's too small for my liking and too noisy on the M'Way.

Probably about £8K, but could stretch a bit (up to £10K). Not sure the Type R is an option since my insurance would be sky high (too be honest Corolla T Sport might be out of my league, but its worth a check and seem to remember it about 5 groups lower than the Type R).

Also where exactly have you seen a Type R at 8K. Checked Auto Trader and nationally the cheapest I could see was 11K.

The missues had a 2001 (Y) Civic 1.6 SE Sport.

It was a great car, had a nice chassis, 1/2 leather heated seats and loads of toys (climate etc...)

Was a nice drive, and although not hugely fast, was still a fun drive, and had a decent pickup.

I know this is a toyota forum, but i cant really comment as I havent driven the YTS or CTS, so i guess the best advice would to be test drive all three, and see which suits you best..

As for the Type-R Civic, i would only get that if your only concern was going fast, overall, the SE Sport kicks its butt (ride quality etc), but the Type R is a go-kart..

Also where exactly have you seen a Type R at 8K.  Checked Auto Trader and nationally the cheapest I could see was 11K.

here you go mate I got this info from Yo****aka at j-garage.com Just to make sure I am not talking about the cack new civic type R with no guts this is the old civic type R ek9 185 bhp 0-60 in 5.6 sec

2000 Civic type-Rx. 5MT. 29000km. White color. No accident. Points 75.

Interior A. FOB2243000yen.

thats about 11k I think

1999 Civic type-R. 5MT. 38000km. White color. No accident. Points 75.

Interior B. FOB2078000yen.

thats about 10 I think

1998 Civic type R (modified). 5MT. 82000km. Black color. No accident. Points

55. Interior D. FOB1559000yen.

this one is 8k I think

I will look for the other one I have found I will post it up in a sec :thumbsup:

Not sure that the insurance wouldn't be even more insane for that for me again - seeing as older shape Civics are a few brackets up in terms of group + plus its an import. I have no ncb and 3 points (traffic lights).

Bugger I think they are in group 16 also :( :(

you could try a honda jordan? or a Mitsubishi mirage/cryborg colt another import but they are quite cheap and 165 bhp! might be worth a look but could be loads like your SR :(

I'd probably go for the Civic, but that's because I'm quickly going off ALL the Toyota dealers in Bristol.

Failing that go for the Corolla. I've got nothing against the Yaris (I like driving my partner's Yaris), but it's too small for my liking and too noisy on the M'Way.

Not sure the noise would bother me too much. The SR was a little noisy at M'Way speeds, but nothing to write home about. Have had a test drive of a Yaris T Sport near by which was going for £7995 (Black on a Y Plate, 17,000 miles) reckon I'd be able to knock at least £500 off that, and get some stuff thrown in (extended warranty, tax, next service, mats, etc). Was surpised to find it handles about as well as my Starlet, from driving 1L Yaris's I'd been expecting the worst, but was plesantly surprised. Only thing that bothers me is size, seeing as there are bigger cars available for not much money, although I expect a 1.6L would be as big as I'd be able to go in terms of a larger car (e.g. the Civic or Corolla), due to insurance; and obviously something like that wouldn't be as quick as the Yaris.

I suspect I need to go and test drive a Corolla/Civic to get an opinion of them. I did see a Corolla T Sport being sold by a dealer for £9995, which is why I wondered, but I think I'd be stretching it with leaving money for insuring it (no fun to have a fast car you can't drive :rolleyes:

Depends what you look for in a car, and what you like really. I got my corolla for a number of reasons, 1 being its a fair size so it sits well on the motorway, its also got pretty good economny and not too bad performance, but I do a lot of miles so thats what counts to me!

My Dads just got a brand new Civic, he got a crackin deal on the sport model, its got a really nice engine note, and moderatelly stiff suspension, it apparently handles very well, and it does look well (most cars do in black). 'it looks the part' its a special edition so he saved a fair bit to, that said he still prefers the build quality of the Toyota!

Whichever way you go dont rush into your purchase, I did on my last car and only kept it for 18 months from new, as I made a short term decision as apposed to planning forward. Enjoy test driving as many as possible. and good look with your decision.

Like the guys say it depends what you want!

personally I won't have anything like £8-10k to spend this year...

so i've made a compromise, despite people telling me i should buy a 1.0 or a 1.3 for cheap insurance i just cannot bare to drive anything without power any longer.

I look forward to the summer when I will have a celica or an mr2, i think it will come down to how nice an example i can find when i get the money.

Insurance is going to be silly fully comp as i'm 19 with 0ncb, but, the cars are only going to be worth £2.5 - £3k, so 3rd party will do me fine, £1800 for the insurance.

duno how this relates to u to be honest suppose i'm jsut trying to say u can get some nice cars for much less cash than u might expect and insure a big engined car while you're at it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links