Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Part Two Of My Binding Brakes..

Rmachines

I posted about my brakes binding a few days ago after the front randomly locked up solid on me while driving (obviously it was pregressive) But still wasnt nice, anyway the next day it happend in exactly the same place! So last night i stripped down one of the calipers mainly to just see the condition of the disks and pads etc.. i cleaned it up and put it together but focused mainly on over-riding the ABS, Last night i went out for a drive with the ABS disconnected, and sure enough, i got into the car park, Brake peddle went Rock hard and the brakes had locked up again... In anger i some how managed to force the car to the bottom car park where i called RAC, but after telling me they would be 3 hours i waited a few hours and brakes had gone back to normal.. Got me home no problem. Then this morning, i did a 2 mile trip, got home.. Locked up again!

So today i changed all the brake fluid and stripped and rebuild both front callipers, The pistons were ok, a little stiff but deffinatly not stuck, But, I noticed the Drivers side top slider pin in the carrier was Locked in solid.. so i managed to free it, grease it and now its all back together with new fluid, greased up pins and pad sliders.. And it seems to run ok, but the front brakes are very very slightly binding now, to the point where they are warmer than they should be and the car feels to drag a little sometimes, but it will roll back by its self on a slight decline.

Im still not 100% sure if that stuck pin was the problem as BOTH Front lock up... not just the one with the sticky pin, so i dont want to risk it locking up again, Although since i bleed it all etc.. it did a good 10 miles with no problems.

I posted about my brakes binding a few days ago after the front randomly locked up solid on me while driving (obviously it was pregressive) But still wasnt nice, anyway the next day it happend in exactly the same place! So last night i stripped down one of the calipers mainly to just see the condition of the disks and pads etc.. i cleaned it up and put it together but focused mainly on over-riding the ABS, Last night i went out for a drive with the ABS disconnected, and sure enough, i got into the car park, Brake peddle went Rock hard and the brakes had locked up again... In anger i some how managed to force the car to the bottom car park where i called RAC, but after telling me they would be 3 hours i waited a few hours and brakes had gone back to normal.. Got me home no problem. Then this morning, i did a 2 mile trip, got home.. Locked up again!

So today i changed all the brake fluid and stripped and rebuild both front callipers, The pistons were ok, a little stiff but deffinatly not stuck, But, I noticed the Drivers side top slider pin in the carrier was Locked in solid.. so i managed to free it, grease it and now its all back together with new fluid, greased up pins and pad sliders.. And it seems to run ok, but the front brakes are very very slightly binding now, to the point where they are warmer than they should be and the car feels to drag a little sometimes, but it will roll back by its self on a slight decline.

Im still not 100% sure if that stuck pin was the problem as BOTH Front lock up... not just the one with the sticky pin, so i dont want to risk it locking up again, Although since i bleed it all etc.. it did a good 10 miles with no problems.

I would change the flexible hoses to both calipers.

Thats my next job i think, Local parts dealer says £25.00 for one and £22.00 for the other, plus £8.00 carriage for special order, but eBay have these Braided ones for £50.00 ish for all four , Are they as good as stock? If they are dodgey or cause problems i will go for the stock ones, they are goodridge i belive.

cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links