Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4

igormus

Hi Guys

Please guide me how to engage/disengage cruise control.

The manual is short of information about

The another question -- in cacse of "D" position -- whether I can shift level to "3"; "2"; "1" not sstopping the car???

It is still not clear due to short of information in the manual.

Thanks before hand

Igor

Hello Igor

I'm not sure whether yours is the 4.2 or 4.3 model.

Anyway, on my 4.2 the cruise is made "live" by pressing inwards the cruise control stalk. (it's marked ON/OFF) The word "cruise" lights up in the dash. You then make sure you are driving at the correct speed and flick the stalk downwards for the "set" position (it's shown by an arrow on the stalk). You are now in cruise.

To cancel you just pull the stalk towards you. Also touching the brakes cancels. The "cruise" remains lit up in the dash.

Whilst cruising, if you accelerate and then take your foot off the accelerator it will go back to the cruise speed.

If you wish to resume (cruise needs to still be lit in the dash) flick the stalk upwards and it will resume your cruise speed.

You can also canel cruise by pressing the stalk inwards again - this time the light will go off and if you want to resume cruise you will need to set it again.

I find it useful on motorways, only thing I would note is that the auto box tends to change down a lot earlier than it would if I was just using the accelerator - often when you come to hill it will drop down to third at 70mph when it would not do this if cruise was off.

As for gears - yes I can flick my gear stalk down to (say) 2 whilst on the move and it will only go up to maximum of 2nd gear. Of course you have to make sure you are going at a slow enough speed for 2nd gear as if you are going too fast it will over-rev the engine.

Hope this helps.

Cruise control... I have an aftermarket cruise on my 4.1 auto. I've fitted it previously to 2 other cars. Things to watch with an auto with cruise... On a manual car, after slowing down, pressing resume is usually done after accelerating normally through the gears into fifth, and then resuming your previous speed. In an auto, this is not necessary, as pressing resume will work at any speed because the cruise will not disconnect when changing gear. However, the cruise will see that you are well below the set speed and nail the throttle, sending you off like a bat out of hell. Make sure you don't accidentally press resume if you're driving down a town high street after a blast on the motorway!

Changing down gears... My 4.1 will let you change down into 2 or L when going way too fast. What does is wait until you've slowed down to a sensible speed for the gearbox and engine before changing down. The difference is that it won't then change back up out of these gears when you speed up again. To my knowledge, changing down won't give you any more engine brake than if you do nothing and drive normally.

Hello Igor

I'm not sure whether yours is the 4.2 or 4.3 model.

Anyway, on my 4.2 the cruise is made "live" by pressing inwards the cruise control stalk. (it's marked ON/OFF) The word "cruise" lights up in the dash. You then make sure you are driving at the correct speed and flick the stalk downwards for the "set" position (it's shown by an arrow on the stalk). You are now in cruise.

To cancel you just pull the stalk towards you. Also touching the brakes cancels. The "cruise" remains lit up in the dash.

Whilst cruising, if you accelerate and then take your foot off the accelerator it will go back to the cruise speed.

If you wish to resume (cruise needs to still be lit in the dash) flick the stalk upwards and it will resume your cruise speed.

You can also canel cruise by pressing the stalk inwards again - this time the light will go off and if you want to resume cruise you will need to set it again.

I find it useful on motorways, only thing I would note is that the auto box tends to change down a lot earlier than it would if I was just using the accelerator - often when you come to hill it will drop down to third at 70mph when it would not do this if cruise was off.

As for gears - yes I can flick my gear stalk down to (say) 2 whilst on the move and it will only go up to maximum of 2nd gear. Of course you have to make sure you are going at a slow enough speed for 2nd gear as if you are going too fast it will over-rev the engine.

Hope this helps.

Hello Plutus

I spend some time (after office hours) to read the manual thru.

As to cruise -- yes the same was read in the Manual -- I will try it on high way.

As to gears shifting -- yes I can understand that it is prohibited to shift to a lower gear if the car velocity is more than allowed on respective gear. Ii am just too much concerned in order not to dammage this expensive auto gear unit :) I have never used an auto since 1978 :D -- I will try very carcefully, then.

Thank you so much for feedback

Igor

Make sure you don't accidentally press resume if you're driving down a town high street after a blast on the motorway!

the cruise control i had in one of my previous vehicles didn't resume to your previous speed if you drove it below 30km/h. but hey that was a Renault 25 Turbo DX from 1988 B) my best car ever.

bt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links