Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Mk1 Is Pulling

Tegan

Long time since i posted a question on here but my car is starting to annoy me now :angry:

Its been pulling to one side for quite some time now and i cant seem to find out what the hell is wrong with it - even thinking of getting another car if i cant find the solution

When we had the bad snow earlier in the year the car and me ended up in a ditch - was only a small slide off the road but i thought this might have been the cause of the pulling (as only one side went into ditch) thought i might have bent something

I took it to my local garage who i use all the time - at first they couldnt find anything wrong with it - nothing bent, no play in anything etc

I told them to have another look because i wasnt imagining it - they took it out for a few drives and told me it was only pulling under braking - which the mk1 does anyway, they thought i had a warped disc on front so i let them change the discs - which only helped to sharpen up the braking - the pulling is still there.

They also did the tracking and said it was fine. So that was ruled out.

Now ive checked everything thats obvious like tyre pressure and tyre wear and nothing is out of place anywhere.

Has anybody got any idea what would make the car pull violently to the left side (kerb side) whilst driving.

Its really getting ridiculous now as i hate driving it when it does this and its scary in the wet!

Help :(

Cheers

Tegan xx

Take it to a decent garage and get an alignment done, not just "tracking"

I just got a full global alignment done on the M3 and the difference was absolute day and night, - and that didn't pull to one side before it went in!

Look for somewhere with KDS alignment :)

Failing that check for seized or sticky calipers. Does it do it more under acceleration, braking, just costing?

The garage checked all the brakes - no problems apparently

It actually does it more under acceleration - ie when im trying to pull up a hill etc. :unsure:

Im convinced that its more than a brake problem.

Ive registered for imoc again to let them try and diagnose the problem as they have always been quite helpful in the past, think i need to take it to somebody who drives mk1's and knows them inside out.

Tegs x

There is a similar fault with the Mk2. This is usually due to a problem with the rear sub-frame. Within this a captive nut fails allowing one of the control arms to move under acceleration. This fault may not be applicable to the Mk1 however. It sounds as though you problem may be due to the driven (rear)wheels.

I'd recommend posting on the MR2 owners club as the main moderator 'jimi' is the expert on Mk1s.

See:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/

The Mk2 i had pulled to the left and shook so violently at speed i used to cak it! A new steering rack end solved the problem. I would guess that you're either looking at sub frame misalignment mentioned or as above. The MR2 is fickle and feels really bad just like the Mk1 when componentry is worn. Have the subframe checked as well as the steering ends. Worn bushes may be the answer, can't remember at the mo if they have drop links. I do know its not rocket science though and any decent garage will have the prob diagnosed within minutes once the cars up on the lift. I wouldnt have thought it would take more than one visit! That garage could lead you along a merry path replacing stuff thats not neccesary. Are you confident the garage knows what they're looking at? Maybe call round a few untill you find one thats enthusiastic!

tegan if you still in nottingham try nottingham 4 wheel alignment.

as said a full 4 wheel alignment will check every angle on the suspension, caster, camber and toe. any one of these could cause the symptoms you mention.

let us know the results,

Was anything bent/put out of place, when you and the ditch met?

Could it be a chassis issue?

I trust the garage - one of the guys that works there is my dads friend.

They couldnt see anything bent out of shape when they had a look after the ditch accident asha

I just dont know if i want to put any more money (or time for that matter) into this car - its had enough of my cash now , its never wanted for anything - always had every problem fixed as soon as its shown up but i dont think i can be bothered any more. I have too much else going on to have to worry about the car aswell.

Ive been thinking long and hard about it and decided that it may be best just to let it go - i think ive gradually fallen out of love with it and this has tipped me over towards getting a more practical car , mk1's are so much fun but they are hard work to keep in good condition, as is any old car.

So thanks for the help people but it was a little bit in vain as it will be sold when i sort another car out.

Ill let somebody else solve the problem - ill just sell it with this fault and see what i get for it

Thanks

Tegan x

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links