Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Gti (a Newbie)

Spockoff

Highya all. Am new to the forum after having just purchased a 1988 corolla GTi. Looking to restore her to former glory. Am driving a 91 Celica GT as my daily run until I can get the Corolla up to standard.

post-72589-1249899527_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, welcome to TOC.

I too have a GTi same age as yours too. What do you have to do to yours? It's in a much better condition than mine! :lol:

Try to post pictures of yours at the top of the corolla section, in the GTi-16 Gallery.

Highya, well am looking to restore the car to its near factory condition. I brought the car mainly because it had been professionally resprayed and had hardly any rust. As you know, seen so many examples rotting away. With the exception of the alloys and induction kit its completely standard. Just put a new radiator and thermostat the other day, and waiting for some bilstein front shocks to arrive. I took out the rear seats, to asses the condition of the rear suspension mountings, and its not looking too good. Looks like the rollas got a date with the welder after all. At the moment been searching high and low for the original air cleaner assembly and the original wheels but no luck thus far. Il get the camer out soon and post how things go.

Highya, well am looking to restore the car to its near factory condition. I brought the car mainly because it had been professionally resprayed and had hardly any rust. As you know, seen so many examples rotting away. With the exception of the alloys and induction kit its completely standard. Just put a new radiator and thermostat the other day, and waiting for some bilstein front shocks to arrive. I took out the rear seats, to asses the condition of the rear suspension mountings, and its not looking too good. Looks like the rollas got a date with the welder after all. At the moment been searching high and low for the original air cleaner assembly and the original wheels but no luck thus far. Il get the camer out soon and post how things go.

The rust behind the back seats its common with GTi's and mine suffers in exactly the same way. I need to replace mine altogether! I have already replaced my tailgate and sunroof.

Places to look are behind the side-skirts (They are terrible on mine), at the top of the windscreen, arches (as always), in the spare wheel well and another obvious one is to check the sills.

Here is a panel site carz2

And this place may have some standard parts that will be of use to you; FENSPORT

Good luck with everything.

Looks nice! Put the original rear lights in when you can and it'll be ace!

Highya all. Am new to the forum after having just purchased a 1988 corolla GTi. Looking to restore her to former glory. Am driving a 91 Celica GT as my daily run until I can get the Corolla up to standard.
If you decide to put some standard rear lights in, I can sell you mine. They will have all bulbs in and they were all working when I took them off. Just PM me a price and we'll go from there. ;)

Hello, just read your post about your 'new' Corolla Gti, I've got a few parts laying about still from I had mine. I've got about 7 standard alloys that could do with a refurb ( most without tyres ) couple of doors/wings etc. I sold a fair few bits on eBay though by all means list anything you need and I may be able to help, I'm in Enfield N London, regards Jerran

Hello, just read your post about your 'new' Corolla Gti, I've got a few parts laying about still from I had mine. I've got about 7 standard alloys that could do with a refurb ( most without tyres ) couple of doors/wings etc. I sold a fair few bits on eBay though by all means list anything you need and I may be able to help, I'm in Enfield N London, regards Jerran

Hey I can vouch for Jerran, hes had more GTis (AE92's) than hot dinners...lol....

Good luck !!! :)

Cheers for the response guys. I will look into what other bits I need and post a list up. Ive finally got the standard airbox on the way. Fitted some new sidelights today, as the others were cracked. Looking at ditching the rear smoked lights and side repeaters for standard ones now. Mr JONES I may take you up on the offer of the rear lights. Il post the pics of the rust tomorrow, and see what you guys think. cheers.

Cheers for the response guys. I will look into what other bits I need and post a list up. Ive finally got the standard airbox on the way. Fitted some new sidelights today, as the others were cracked. Looking at ditching the rear smoked lights and side repeaters for standard ones now. Mr JONES I may take you up on the offer of the rear lights. Il post the pics of the rust tomorrow, and see what you guys think. cheers.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool, I look forward to the pics! :yes:

Hey I can vouch for Jerran, hes had more GTis (AE92's) than hot dinners...lol....

Good luck !!! :)

Thanks for your confident vote MR KE70 ! The record I had at one time about 18 months ago was owning 8 Corolla Gti's at the same time, can anyone beat that ?! I reckon I've had about 15 in the last four years though sadly they're starting to become hard to find. A very under-rated car and can take some serious work and still come back for more, the track days I did in mine were immense fun, you could spend a whole day at a track bouncing off the rev limiter and the most knackered part at the end of the day was the driver ( me )

MRKE70 you seem to be a legend at uncovering old Toyota's that have seen daylight for years, good work !

15 Corolla gti! Well this is my first. Used to walk past a mint silver J plate every day on the way to school. Taken me an eternity to actually get one though. It has not disapointed so far! Hoping to get past the 200k mark at least with this one and to top it off with some trips to the nurburgring eventually. Rolla gti with that sticker on the back. Can you imagine!!

Your rear shock rust tops mine, but my arch rust and side-skirt rust beats you to the floor. Partly because its making the car floor rot but thats not the point........ :o :lol:

I'm getting my strut cut out and replaced which I think would be what you need to do with a rust invasion on that scale. Are you going to tackle it yourself or are you going to send it to a garage to get it sorted out?

It could be worse though, you may have had such bad rust that this was necessary.......

enginecomingoutnow034.jpg

I was looking at taking it to a garage to get fixed. I was wondering how much a welding job like that will cost me. If they had to cut the strut out. What do you think £?

I was looking at taking it to a garage to get fixed. I was wondering how much a welding job like that will cost me. If they had to cut the strut out. What do you think £?

It depends on how quickly you want it done, if you are on a tight schedule, then you will have to pay more. But if you are ok to leave the car for them to do it after immediate jobs, then it should cost you a few hundred if you remove the trim. It will cost more too for the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the rolla. Been busy sourcing parts for the gti. Its starting to look near standard now. Picked up some original rear lights, side repeaters and airbox. Gona be picking up a set of original alloys tomorrow. Pictures to follow tomorrow when all installed. Then its a date with mr welder, to get that rear turret sorted. Removed the cam covers the other day. A little bit of sludge, but nothing too drastic. Fresh oil and sparkies to following shortly so should circulate around and combust a bit cleaner. Thanks to the guys who message me about original parts for sale. Im still looking for couple of bits and bobs to restore her to her former glory. But thanks again. Cheers

post-72589-1251142799_thumb.jpg

Just an update on the rolla. Been busy sourcing parts for the gti. Its starting to look near standard now. Picked up some original rear lights, side repeaters and airbox. Gona be picking up a set of original alloys tomorrow. Pictures to follow tomorrow when all installed. Then its a date with mr welder, to get that rear turret sorted. Removed the cam covers the other day. A little bit of sludge, but nothing too drastic. Fresh oil and sparkies to following shortly so should circulate around and combust a bit cleaner. Thanks to the guys who message me about original parts for sale. Im still looking for couple of bits and bobs to restore her to her former glory. But thanks again. Cheers

Hi mate,

Well done with your efforts and could you tell me how much it will cost to get your turret sorted. I need two doing in a slightly better condition. Thanks

Also, I have the original back-box for sale, in pretty much perfect condition. It's a little dirty but still works brilliantly. £60 and its yours including the delivery. ;)

Thanks for the offer on the exhaust. The only part of the exhaust system which is not riddled with rust is the back box. Its looking fairly newish. I will get on the phone 2mo and get some quotes for the welding. Spoke to a couple of guys and they reckon the turret can be plated instead of being cut out and replaced. I guess i will find out soon enough.

Thanks for the offer on the exhaust. The only part of the exhaust system which is not riddled with rust is the back box. Its looking fairly newish. I will get on the phone 2mo and get some quotes for the welding. Spoke to a couple of guys and they reckon the turret can be plated instead of being cut out and replaced. I guess i will find out soon enough.

Wouldnt that make it slightly weak? I was told replacing the whole thing would be better. But I may be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking very close to standard now!

looks good but you need to change them indicators in the wings to the normal ones would look better IMO

Looking very close to standard now!

looks good but you need to change them indicators in the wings to the normal ones would look better IMO

I have some standard lights if you want them spockoff.