Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres - Road Noise

nick j

I am about to replace my tyres on my 55 2.0lt T Spirit Avensis, has anyone ever found a tyre that is quieter than the originals?

I am about to replace my tyres on my 55 2.0lt T Spirit Avensis, has anyone ever found a tyre that is quieter than the originals?

someone else did put a post on here a month ago maybe about quieter tyres, and i recall another person put a link onto a website that had results of a test from some Scandinavian government trial on tyres, and found the Goodyear Excellence was either 1st or 2nd in the trial. Cant think what was the other one. Might have been a Dunlop....?

I tend to use www.mytyres.co.uk

pretty good prices. Looking at @ £60 a tyre for Goodyears.

Hi Nick J,

On advice from forum re road noise reduction, I fitted 4 DUNLOP SP SPORT 01's after having put up with the roar of Continentals, which themselves were replacement tyres. Dunlops are much quieter with possibly improved / maybe imaginary better roadholding.

Regards,

Big Kev

(55 Plate 2.2 D4D which eats front tyres at 12-13k miles.)

Might be worth having a look at recent 'Which Magazine' article regarding different size tyres. From memory 205/55/16 (if this is your size) tyre from Pirelli, the P6000 came out on top. With two other household names coming a very close 2nd & 3rd.

Regards, Beagh.

Mine came with Bridgestones from new. Replaced the fronts with Michelin Primacy HPs and there was a very noticable reduction in both road noise and tramlining. They also last longer than the Bridgestones. First set of Bridgestones on the front were down to the limit at 20k miles, second set lasted just 10k miles (no idea why!). Then fitted Primacy HPs which I have just replaced after 21k miles on the front, with an even 3mm tread remaining on each tyre so I guess they would have lasted to 25k or so. Replaced the original rears (Bridgestones) at the same time, so they did almost 51k, but one was on the limit by then.

As an aside, on every car I have owned Michelins have been the quietest tyres I have fitted, worth every penny.

Might be worth having a look at recent 'Which Magazine' article regarding different size tyres. From memory 205/55/16 (if this is your size) tyre from Pirelli, the P6000 came out on top. With two other household names coming a very close 2nd & 3rd.

Regards, Beagh.

Pirelli P 6000 205/55/16 HAVE THEM ON MY AVENSIS ESTATE IMO GREAT TYRE GOOD TYRE IN THE WET AND DRY .AND AS MOST OF MY DRIVEING IS ON MOTOR WAYS NOISE LEVEL IS GRAND.

Regards, Beagh.

Pirelli P 6000 205/55/16 HAVE THEM ON MY AVENSIS ESTATE IMO GREAT TYRE GOOD TYRE IN THE WET AND DRY .AND AS MOST OF MY DRIVEING IS ON MOTOR WAYS NOISE LEVEL IS GRAND.

I had a new Carina E in 1994, and found the standard-fit Dunlop SP200's were noisy, so I asked the tyre fitters to recommend a quiet brand, and got a pair of Vredestien Protract fitted to the front. They were top-grade. 10 years prior, I had a similar improvement, fitting Uniroyals to a Fiat 127.

I would recommend that you look-up the Autoexpress website, and read their tyre reviews, which they repeat regularly, just as their polish reviews do, etc.