Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Clutch Slipping?

JunkBucket

Hi,

Can anyone pls advise on using Mr Clutch (or A. N. Other - in South East) for renewing clutch on a 1997 RAV4. Had prices ranging from £1k+ from Toyota decreasing in increments to £429.80 from Mr Clutch. Just had 99,000 mile service, zoomed through MOT, and Toyota technician ticked amber box in Clutch section.

Tks

Welcome to the club JB

I can't advise you on Mr Clutch but somebody will be along soon. As long as they use quality parts and guarantee their work I don't think I'd opt for the £1k job!

Just sit tight, everybody will be home from work soon.

Regards

Had one of my RAVs since 1994 and I think we were one of the dirst to need a clutch!! Mr T has the job as a full engine out project hence the cost.

I last had a clutch fitted to my RAV just over a year ago when the guys who did the turbo engine conversion had to fit a racing/competition quality clutch. They did it with the engine in situ altho they did have to loosen off the engine mounts to tilt it to gain access. I think it cost me less than £400.

If you are getting a quote of around £400, then thats ok. Make sure however that the clutch is done - ie is it slipping or getting near the top of the pedal travel? And if you get the work done, ask them beforehand to see the clutch stuff when it comes out to try to make sure they replace all the bits and not just the plate.

If I remember, the clutch lasts around 80,000 miles - depending on how its been used/driven.

Hi, Thanks for that.

The car may .... pls read highly likely.... be coming up to North Ayrshire in late/early October of this year and if you trust the people who did the job for you it may be a good option for me to have the work done with them when the car is up there. May as well change the camshaft belt at the same time as it will be due in a few more k’s.

let me know what you think - if they will take the job on or not and we can take it a step further.

regards

Hi, Thanks for that.

The car may .... pls read highly likely.... be coming up to North Ayrshire in late/early October of this year and if you trust the people who did the job for you it may be a good option for me to have the work done with them when the car is up there. May as well change the camshaft belt at the same time as it will be due in a few more k’s.

let me know what you think - if they will take the job on or not and we can take it a step further.

regards

The guys are Dennis and Marc at The Garage, in Motherwell. They know more about Jap cars than anyone else I've fallen across. PM me and I'll send the contact details case anyone thinks I'm on commission!! They have pulled both of my RAVs apart to fit turbo engines (the engine block and gearbox is still the same as yours); and do all the work now on my fleet. And they don't charge over the top either. If number 2 RAV is about, then you could borrow that whilst yours is in.... I now have a Previa as well as 3 vans to run around in when I'm weary of the fast RAV.

As regards to Mr Clutch,when they were in business in our town a few years back,they had a bad reputation for using recon clutches and soon went out of business,yes they were cheap but had terrible come backs.Not sure what clutches they use now though.

Tks Hemi ... sorry about my delay in getting back to your message

My gut instinct was "caveat emptor." To be honest its not every day we get round to fitting a new clutch. If it was maybe I should be thinking about having my left foot seen too. I have no doubts that some benevolent soul will respond as to how wonderful they are - and it will all be true.

Honesty and openness of opinion expressed freely always gets my vote when it involves an outward flow of my stipend - tks. People really don’t want to see me when I experience a gravitational red shift.

Something to do with my jeans, or is it genes?

Tks again Hemi

Thanks "bothwell_buyer" for your message yesterday and the contact info ... will give then a call later this am once the caffeine has kicked in ... take care up there and once again tks for your help

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links