Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gen6 Cam Belt Replace ££££?

jonnysolo

Hello Folks

I imagine this topic has been well covered but my novice forum searches have not got me very far, so here we go...

It's coming up to 60,000 miles since belt was changed (previous owner) so i thought i'd ask about it at my recent service at a Toyota garage.

Some crazy figures were bandied around generally on the inspection report (suggested total £2500!), and i'm not technical enough to argue. I might ask about the other items later, but just to concentrate on the cam belt for now (as it's the one that's making me sweat)...

• He said it is impossible to visually inspect the belt to see if it requires changing, as it is hidden away - this sounds OK to me - does he speak the truth?
  • He said it if they are changing the belt (£45), it made sense to also change the idler (£100) and piston tensioner (£50). Does this sound like a reasonable suggestion / costs?
  • I wouldn't mind, but the total labour estimate then became 2.5 hrs at a whopping £120 an hour, so the whole job was now £500. This seems way too much to me and i would appreciate some thoughts.
  • As this sounds v expensive either way, i am wondering how i could go about getting someone else to do it cheaper. So, does the cam belt need to be specifically for my car model, or can I go to a local garage and just ask them to fit "a new cam belt"? Or would i have to go to Toyota to get the specific belt and then take it elsewhere to get it fitted? And if so, am i just as well doing the idler and tensioner too?

So many questions, so little time. Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

:)

Jonny

Hi, first off, you can visually inspect the belt but it means removing the cover, thats not impossible, but even then if the belt looks fine it doesnt mean it is. Im not to sure of the actual price of the parts either but toyota idlers are quite well made and none of the plastic rubbish some are, so you could risk it, generally the worst that will happen is it will get noisy and you will have to pay for it to all be done again, so yea ideally change it all.

I work for a honda dealer who charge £60.00 per hour, which i would say is a lot, so £120 is far to much, but then thats the going price for some places, mabey go to a reliable private garage? some technicians at the dealers are nothing other than general mehchanics so you arnt always getting anything special.

Any garage can fit the belt, its tricky but no a hard job to do, compared to some anyway! You can get a genuine toyota belt or kit (which comes with the idlers too) Or you can fit ones like Power-grip belts, argualbly not as good but they never let me down, they are cheeper and also come as a kit, most garages will fit them.

P.S I do those inspection sheets every day and although it is just a way to make money, most points are actual problems, Battery indicators, brake fluid tests etc.. are just there to scare you into getting new parts etc.. but its usualy just a quick flick through any problems that stand out. Just look about for a good garage to stick a belt on for ya, certainly wont cost what they quoted at toyota.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hi There,

Just to let you know that my Celica Gen 6 1998 UK spec had the timing kit supplied & fitted for £350.

Keep looking and you will find a better price.

Big E

Hi, first off, you can visually inspect the belt but it means removing the cover, thats not impossible, but even then if the belt looks fine it doesnt mean it is. Im not to sure of the actual price of the parts either but toyota idlers are quite well made and none of the plastic rubbish some are, so you could risk it, generally the worst that will happen is it will get noisy and you will have to pay for it to all be done again, so yea ideally change it all.

I work for a honda dealer who charge £60.00 per hour, which i would say is a lot, so £120 is far to much, but then thats the going price for some places, mabey go to a reliable private garage? some technicians at the dealers are nothing other than general mehchanics so you arnt always getting anything special.

Any garage can fit the belt, its tricky but no a hard job to do, compared to some anyway! You can get a genuine toyota belt or kit (which comes with the idlers too) Or you can fit ones like Power-grip belts, argualbly not as good but they never let me down, they are cheeper and also come as a kit, most garages will fit them.

P.S I do those inspection sheets every day and although it is just a way to make money, most points are actual problems, Battery indicators, brake fluid tests etc.. are just there to scare you into getting new parts etc.. but its usualy just a quick flick through any problems that stand out. Just look about for a good garage to stick a belt on for ya, certainly wont cost what they quoted at toyota.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes that helps a lot, thank you.

I think I will try a private garage for a quote.

So the next question is how would you recommend i get hold of the timing kit:

a - just ask the private garage to order it

b - tinternet

c - Toyota, but ask them not to fit it, due to the daylight robbery!

I've had a quick google for "celica timing kit gen 6" with not much joy.

Many thanks, again

Hi There,

Just to let you know that my Celica Gen 6 1998 UK spec had the timing kit supplied & fitted for £350.

Keep looking and you will find a better price.

Big E

Thanks Big E

If that's what it costs then so be it, but i did think my 500 smackers quote was a bit excessive.

I just hope the !Removed! thing doesn't snap while i'm still haggling!

go to toyota and ask them to order a timing belt kit for your celica. then shop around a couple of private garages and get a quote off them for carrying out the job,

you would be better advised to buy a toyota kit , instead of some cheap e-bay one,

PLease PLease PLease dont buy a cheap one off eBay... A Gates set comes recommended or a genuine Toyota one.

I did shop around but make sure that the garage knows what they are doing...ie Done one before.

A local garage will have a local parts dealer... They should be able to give you a quote while you wait.

Let them get the parts and fit cause if something goes wrong then its their fault not yours...

Tell them you are going to a couple of garages and the best quote wins....

If the belt is fitted incorrectly it will not idle right as the engine management will try to correct it all the time. It will also reduce power.

If you can find a recommended mechanic who knows about the car. It should take him 2hrs to do the job.

That is the book time for the job. If they want to charge more then they are not worth speaking to.

I know £350 sounds a bit of money but it is piece of mind.

Hope that helps a bit more..

Big E

go to toyota and ask them to order a timing belt kit for your celica. then shop around a couple of private garages and get a quote off them for carrying out the job,

you would be better advised to buy a toyota kit , instead of some cheap e-bay one,

Yes, local parts suppliers will do them, kits like gates, power grip etc... are all common and well used although not always a "genuine part" toyota parts department will give you the kit, they are a little more pricey but they are the absolute best and most reliable. eBay ones are not always a good idea, could be very cheeply made parts.

Most garages will fit the part if you supply it but you can ask most garages to either fit a genuine one or just one from their suppler either way they should order it in for you. Most garages will fit a cheeper after market kit but a well known one, as obviously they dont want problems comming back to them.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links