Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux Surf Problem

spankywade

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a couple of problems im having with my hilux surf?

Firstly i have an oil leak, it looks like its coming from a gasket near some belt under the guard. At the front of the engine right at the bottom if that makes any sense? If you understand that can anyone confirm if this is going to be an expensive job because of the position of the belt?

Secondly, drove it for 30 minutes today and when i get home i heard a hissing noise from the engine, opened up and the big black rubber pipe running from the radiator to the thing that im guessing is the radiator fill up bit as it says "do not open when hot" anyway this pipe near the fill up point was steaming for about 5 minutes. IT only did it for this time and i noticed the coolant bottle was only about 1 cm full.

Would anyone know if these are really bad or can i fix them myself?

Thank so much for the help

I filled the water back up and took it for a 20 minute drive and noticed when i got back it was making a drinking noise but no water was leaking? Could it have been because it was so low that the suction pipe was just sucking up air?

First thing to do is get a new rad cap, then it sounds like you have an airlock in the system, so fill the rad and run it with the cap off for a few mins, and just keep topping it up, then once it stops bubbling fit the cap and pray that this has fixed it.

Will probably be the front crankshaft seal, assume it's a 2.4 td so you will need to remove the rad and get a puller for the front crank pulley, a garage job unless you have a good tool kit.

ok, i have now figured where the water is coming from. Previously i noticed it coming out of that pipe going into the rad cap. Was like steamy frothy water?

anyway has been fine until today, went on a long journey but it dosnt overheat. got home and noticed water coming out again. Looked under the bonnet and it was basically coming from where the expansion cap is there is another pipe (maybe a breather pipe?) but the water was flowing out of there to say the expansion bottle was too full? Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, im guessing i filled it too much and the pressure is sending it back out of there but i had too little coolant and it was coming out of the top pipe?!

Thanks in advance

PS. my oil leak had slowed down to about 10 drops a day (about 2 after i pull up somewhere and leave it for hours) so i dont know whats going on there. im guessing i have lost something somewhere but all fluids including oil are full

ok yea and finally i have been reading about speeds of this car and mine can do about 80 max. i feel a bit of a kick from the turbo at around 2000 revs but apparently i should have a green turbo light come on when started up and also when the turbo kicks in but i see nothing?

The rad when cold should be full to the top of the housing, then make sure that the pipe to the expansion tank is clear, give it a blow through, then fill the expansion tank to the correct mark which is about just under half way.

If you have any water coming out round the rad cap you either need a new one or the pipe is blocked to the expansion tank, but you must make sure that you have no air locks in the rad.

i have ordered a new rad cap which should be here tomorrow and im going to check for blockages and make sure my coolant is only to the max mark.

with the removing air locks do i just run the car from cold with the rad cap off, if so how long for and what will tell me its worked or is it much more complicated than that?

ok i have removed all coolant down to the full level which i have finally found. didnt realise there was one so filled to the neck and just realised the bottle is twice the size i could see so have lowered down and now should be ok.. new topic now for next problems :(