Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 Batteries

scourslane

hi all,

it may be a silly question but why is there 2 batteries under the bonnet

cheers

Hi there,

I had this explained to me recently by the foreman mechanic at the Toyota dealer.

I asked why my friends new Land Cruiser 3.0 had two batteries while my new Hilux double cab 3.0, with exactly the same engine, had only one Battery. The answer is that the Land Cruiser has a 24 volt starter motor and the Hilux has a 12 volt starter motor. The only difference is the gearing in the starter motor which means the Land Cruiser needs more power to crank the engine over. All the other electrics on the Land Cruiser are 12 volts of course.

I assume Your Hilux Surf has the same system as the current Land Cruiser.

2009 [facelift] Hilux Hl3 3.0

Only the bigger Landcruisers like the 4.2td have the 24v starters, but the Surfs and smaller Landcruisers have two batteries because they have more electrical bits, like fuel heaters for cold climates and heated seats.

Only the bigger Landcruisers like the 4.2td have the 24v starters, but the Surfs and smaller Landcruisers have two batteries because they have more electrical bits, like fuel heaters for cold climates and heated seats.

Are you absolutely sure about this.

As I said in my previous post, it was the senior mechanic at the main Toyota dealer, who works on these vehicles everyday who told me that the 3.0 d4d Land Cruisers have 24 volt starters.

If the two batteries were just for all the extra electric 'extra's', why don't the top of the range Toyota cars have two batteries ?

These cars too have heated seats, electric seats etc.

In fact the Hilux, which has the same engine, also comes with heated seats and the like and a fuel heater for cold climates yet has one Battery.The Land Cruiser has two 'small' batteries, while the Hilux has one 'larger' Battery.

Surely the Toyota trained mechanics must know what they are talking about. In my experience, they certainly do.

The question was answered correctly by your mechanic, it has a 12v system (even the starter is 12v) however it is a 2.7kw on a Hilux and a 3.0 kw starter on some L/C's which requires two batteries to power up such a heavy duty starter

Kingo :thumbsup:

The question was answered correctly by your mechanic, it has a 12v system (even the starter is 12v) however it is a 2.7kw on a Hilux and a 3.0 kw starter on some L/C's which requires two batteries to power up such a heavy duty starter

But the mechanic was wrong, they are all 12v starters apart from the 4.2td Landcruisers that have 24v starting. :angry::angry:

But the mechanic was wrong, they are all 12v starters apart from the 4.2td Landcruisers that have 24v starting. :angry::angry:

Your right Andy, it was a rubbish answer from me :lol: Not sure why the hell I said he was correct :wacko:

Both batteries are wired in parallel, so normal 12v electrics are still used throughout including the starter motor. You need those cranking amps for starting a cold diesel engine. We have what is known as "Cold Spec" on most diesel engines here in the UK

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Have a Hilux 2009 DC A/T

3.0D4D. With TWO batts. on it!!

Now I,m totally con fussed. Sorry

I have a K reg 2.4 auto (KN130) and it has two batteries, so why is that ???

i heard they had two batteries because......

1. they need the extra cranking power

2. they were offered as an upgrade for a winter pack ie. rear heater for back seat drivers not all surfs have these heaters apparently my 2.4 ssrx has one

don't know which one is the definitave answer but i would go with both .........

• 3 weeks later...
Can you start the car with only 1 battery instead of 2?

1st lot of the 3.0D4D Hilux had 1 Battery, the 2009 Models all have 2 Battery's, they all have a 12 Volt starting system.

• 10 years later...

Hi Toyota Landcruiser members. I have a Toyota Landcruiser 2.8 litre Automatic Invincible with two batteries. Could you please advise me how to charge up the batteries with an external charger? Can I charge up the batteries in situ and should I treat each Battery separately? Many thanks for any advice.

Not a owner but due to the split charging system disconnect the Battery before charging