Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iphones

Hou

Are they all they are cracked up to be?

I am in the market for a new phone, plus a new MP3 player, so why not get something that does both I thought

But with the high price of them are they worth it or would it be better to get an ipod touch and then a cheap phone

Depends .. the std iPhone does about 75% of what I would want.

After jailbreaking it, it'll do all I want. (I've a JB'ed Touch, and the missus has a JB'ed 2G iPhone).

TomTom has just been released for it too.

Looking at the Microsoft / Nokia deal, Symbian is now dead (thank goodness), and only the Windows Mobile or Google/Android seems to be a competitor. The former is more corporate, the latter more geeky.

Wait a while though. Apparently VF/Orange/TMobile may be getting the 3G in the next month or two (with the 3GS staying exclusive to O2).

Only problem is you look like an iTool if you have an iPhone.

And the fact that they look huge at the side of your head when on a call!

Only problem is that I have until Jan until I can get an upgrade, and my C902 is on its last legs

Hmmmmm

Add the fact it's a poor mp3 player. The farce that is iTunes. The shocking headphones. 3MP camera. The massive lockdown on 3rd party applications etc. etc.

But it's a great user interface. There are some great JB'ed apps out there. Web browsing is a doddle (apart from no Flash support). It's a good device.

I've read that the 3G is a matter of weeks before anouncements will be made on other networks.

T-Mobile are already taking orders.

A few people here have the 3GS and i have to say, its a swexy lookin phone, it doesnt look too big by the side of your head either :lol: It is very querky though, photos are not as good a quality as I would expect. A better deal would be to have a 3G as there are some great deals on them at the mo, then download the upgrade pack to the new phone, you get just about everything apart from a video camera

I have been on Orange for years and had no problem with them, they reckon to have the 3G by October, but my contract has another 12 months to run :angry: otherwise I would have one ASAP

Kingo :thumbsup:

My 3G is awesome and I have only one problem. You can't video with it. But that was just one part of their marketing strategy. First iPhone was unbeleivably expensive and when the market began to fill up with similar items, they brought out newer faster versions, at half the price. BUT, they also held back a few features to give them flexability within the market and to keep giving customers upgrades.

It's brilliant, its a phone, its an mp3 AND mp4. iTunes isn't all that bad and if you don't like it go down the route of illegal downlaods and suffer the consequences when the rozzers find your comp. stufed with virus from Limewire. :lol: :lol: The countless apps make it brilliant for many small yet important tasks in everyday life, plus most of them are free.

iPhones awesome. Get one. Now.

If you visit lots of websites that are powered by Java or you want a good camera on your phone then the iPhone is not for you.

If you want a device that backs up your applications, contacts, diary and notes every time you connect it to your computer, play YouTube videos, lets you Twitter all day long, knows where you are then it does the job.

If you want to know the kind of applications available just download iTunes and visit the store, every thing from recipe books to shoot 'em ups

If you want to jailbreak it, invalidate your warranty and any chance of support then it can do even more.

If you want to jailbreak it, invalidate your warranty and any chance of support then it can do even more.

You can reverse the JailBreak as easily as you can do it (about 4 mouse clicks) and Apple will never know ;)

My mates iPhone is pretty cool, he is happy to do a lot of online stuff and as the add says it has an app for almost everything. You will need to sign up to a broad band package and if you dont they wont give you one.

As a number of reps said to me why do you want an iPhone if your not going to be using its internet properties. I could not answer that and got myself a Nokia 5800 music Express. I prefer to do online stuff on my computer. Its maybe not as refined as the iPhone but its fully touch screen. After a few weeks I quite like mine. Although I cant get my Navicore (TOM TOM) on to it. I am just beginning to use the playlists for listening to music on it much better than the Nokia N73

I got that, and a pack of screen protectors and a plastic wallet thingy to keep it in, although the accessories are not Nokia

Hmmmm I like the idea of a Jailbreak iPhone, although I wouldnt know where to start!!!

I suppose getting an iPhone would help! :D: :D: What are the consequences of jailbreaking one?

If you get an iPhone and want to use SatNav, then I would probably avoid the imminent release of TomTom. It is looking like coming in at roughly £150 - Although that does include a cradle for the car, with a speaker and "advanced" GPS function. IMO, the £26 CoPilot represents MUCH better value for money. I haven't got it yet as I am using a different app for SatNav, but I will definitely be investing in it soon.

As for Jailbreaking, it basically allows you to install and run apps that you haven't bought via the iTunes App Store (you can also get free apps as well as paid for ones). As has been mentioned though, if you send a Jailbroken iPhone back to Apple for repair, expect them to laugh in your face. However, it is easy enough to undo, you just go to iTunes and click on the restore button and it resets it back to factory settings :)

As an aside, I just moved into a new place at the weekend and currently have no internet, so I've set up my iPhone as a tethered 3G modem and browsing the internet on my desktop over 3G feels exactly the same (speed and response) as my 20mbit Virgin connection did in my old place. Very impressed :thumbsup:

Hmmmm I like the idea of a Jailbreak iphone, although I wouldnt know where to start!!!

I suppose getting an iphone would help! :D: :D: What are the consequences of jailbreaking one?

There are so many guides to this on the Net. RedSn0w is where to start looking.

You download 3 files. enter their locations into the RedSn0w program and then follow the on screen instructions (mainly hold down the power button for 5, then the home button for 10 etc etc.). And then wait. Takes about 5mins, and it's done.

Allows you to run non Apple approved apps (Its like a mini UNIX box at the end of the day). I've got SCUMMVM on mine so have all the old "kings quest" games.

You can also get most of the "pay for" apps for free. But that involves copyright theft, and I'd not advise it.

When you want to clear it, just restore via iTunes and it all get cleared away and no-one would ever know.

So I could get an iPhone jailbreak it and just put my sim card in it and away to go without any problems? Does the jailbreak unlock it from a previous provider? sorry for the questions, just interested as a dumbo in the world of phones :wacko:

When you "JailBreak" it, it unlocks the phone to allow you to do what you like. Removes the Apple enforced locks basically.

The network unlock can then be activated. (It's usually just a checkbox to tick on the JailBreak software).

If you juat want a phone on an non o2 network, it may be worth looking to get one in Italy. Italian law says the iPhone can't be locked to a network. So buy one on holiday, and put your sim in.

I've already setup 2 Italian 3G phones, on UK Vodafone, with no issues. You just need to "setup" the voicemail number, and the internet & MMS settings. And those details are on VF's website.

This sounds pretty good to me. But then again, I have no problem with payin 70p per song. If you plan your iTunes spending well enough, then you will barely go over your tariff limit.

Although, if I had less cash, then I would be JailBreaking my iPhone. :D

Well I JB'ed mine because I wanted to use it for things that Apple wouldn't allow me to do.

Just like i hacked my Xbox and my N95, to get them to do things they were not designed to do.

Has anyone read the news reports suggesting that iphones can combust in this hot weather :huh: Apparently this has happened a few times and Apple know about and are trying to gather evidence to see if there is an inherent problem. :o

Alternatively you could just get an Android phone which can run apps from anywhere without jailbreaking and is available from T Mobile, Orange or Vodafone.

The web browser is based on web-kit like the iPhone's, and it runs Linux instead of OS X. Result.

Very good indeed if you already use Google Mail, Contacts, Calendar etc.

Paul.

Alternatively you could just get an Android phone which can run apps from anywhere without jailbreaking and is available from T Mobile, Orange or Vodafone.

The web browser is based on web-kit like the iPhone's, and it runs Linux instead of OS X. Result.

Very good indeed if you already use Google Mail, Contacts, Calendar etc.

Paul.

Problem is .. I don't want a techie smart phone.

Android = Geeky.

WinMob = Corporate.

Symbian = Old and Pony.

Apple = iGhey.

I just want a basic phone, with Navigation/web/email .. even the games etc don't bother me, but are a bonus.

But I agree the Android phones are a great device. And once "the cloud" type infrastructure is there, running apps will be even easier on your phone.

Take a look at the HTC Leo smartphone... this will have the new snapdragon processor putting it at 1ghz...See HERE. which will trump all phones currently... as the processor is the main part for running all the apps and processes on the phone...

iPhone... has a slower one 620mhz, and as HTC have sold a million android phones since launch a couple of months ago....goes to show that Apple don't have it all there way :unsure:

the other phone I saw that looked very good but I know nothing about is the toshiba TG01 which also has a 4.1" screen, 1GHZ processor and is only 9.9mm thick

Take a look at the HTC Leo smartphone... this will have the new snapdragon processor putting it at 1ghz...See HERE. which will trump all phones currently... as the processor is the main part for running all the apps and processes on the phone...

iPhone... has a slower one 620mhz, and as HTC have sold a million android phones since launch a couple of months ago....goes to show that Apple don't have it all there way :unsure:

1Ghz is just plain sexy..... :drool:

1GHz worries me a lot! What sort of power consumption do these new "high spec" phones draw? What effect does this have on Battery life etc? It would be nice if I can spend some time on the phone, listen to a couple of hours of music, check and send emails, browse a couple of web pages over 3G and not have to worry about my Battery dying before I get home in the evenings.

Commercially available Battery technology is seriously lagging behind the hardware that it is expected to power. I'd pick highly functional over highly powered when it comes to mobile/portable devices any day.

My Mrs is on her 4th iPhone 3G...

1st melted

2nd froze every time specific people rang

3rd wouldn't connect to wifi

4th works fine so far

Browser is simply amazing

Email / threaded text nice too

Camera just ok but under exposed

Great Amazon / youtube support

However everything else is pretty poor / limiting

Battery is quite short

All the good apps cost

Itunes is RUBBISH

Getting the thing working on a PC is also a nightmare - sometimes you have to roll a 6 to do certain things.

Overall it is a nice phone but compared to my blackberry 8900, i'd have my blackberry 8900 any day and even my mrs prefers my BB. She even preferred my older BB 8320 which has a lower screen RES and slower CPU / less memory.

BB 8900 has turned out to be the best phone i've ever had, along with the 8320, both the best by miles. If i was every going to swap from a BB it would be for an android phone, i think HTC Hero or Magic. Not really a geek phone, although spawned from the geek community. It will become more mainstream and will do everything as well as looking fairly eye candyish OS wise.