Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It's Happened, Damned Run Flats!

petee99d

You could always bolt it to the rear door.

That would look awfully messy though! Don't forget that the T180 has no fixtures for doing that.

Dave M stands one up in the back of his car (I'm sure he will show you when he looks in!) but if you fully remove that floor box there is a deep well just in front of the rear axle which is used as the footwell on a 7 seat US model. You could fashion something if you don't mind cutting and carving.

In the US long wheelbase model there is a space big enough to lie the wheel down behind the axle but don't waste your time looking at that idea because the rear axle hump gets in the way on our SWB models.

Yep, as AM says, I had a long hard look at this. See link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ing+spare+wheel

In the end I reckoned this was the best sollution, you lose approx 20% of your boot space -

100_0801-1.jpg

And as I'm off on my annual 900 mile drive plus ferry trip tomorrow, I've no regrets about buying it either. :thumbsup:

does that mean I might see you driving around Jersey, Dave?

does that mean I might see you driving around Jersey, Dave?

Sure does Doug watch out for me. Usually go early July but major stuff happening at work mean't I had to cancel.

Managed to get a week next week, staying in Grouville. :thumbsup:

Ill keep an eye out for you,hope the weather holds out for you

I can see the requirement to keep a spare for long journeys....but can you use those tyre repair kits that come with the XT-Rs if you change runflats to standard?

I take it the repair kits are ok for slow punctures etc...to give you enough time to get to repair centre etc?

Yes you could change to the current XTR set-up.

I can see the requirement to keep a spare for long journeys....but can you use those tyre repair kits that come with the XT-Rs if you change runflats to standard?

I take it the repair kits are ok for slow punctures etc...to give you enough time to get to repair centre etc?

The only problem in using the repair 'gunk' is that, though it will probably get you to a repair centre, it is unlikely that they will repair the tyre as the sealant cannot be cleaned out of the tyre. It is also pretty useless for a puncture in the tyre wall.

Recently I was very pleased that I had bought a spare [e-bay] as I caught a screw in the centre of the tread and was able to deal with it in the traditional way. From memory it cost me about £17 for the repair, valve and balance at a local tyre fitter.

I keep my spare in a custom made tyre bag laying flat to right side of boot. This allows rear seats to be fully back and comfortably reclined. Again, rom memory, the wheel with tyre fitted is 29" in diameter. Originally I intended to leave the spare at home for local journeys and stow it on board for longer trips but it has been in the car since I first tried it for fit in the bag. :thumbsup:

Toyota reckon a tyre can be recovered after the guk has been used;

ToyotaTechDoc_tyre.pdf

I wouldn't argue one way or the other. If I do get a car with a repair kit instead of a tyre I think I will give it a try before going down the spare wheel route.

ToyotaTechDoc_tyre.pdf

I wouldn't argue one way or the other. If I do get a car with a repair kit instead of a tyre I think I will give it a try before going down the spare wheel route.

Toyota also reckonned that 'run flat' tyre bands were a good idea too ;)

ToyotaTechDoc_tyre.pdf

I agree it would be nice to operate without a spare but this instruction looks a bit Heath-Robinson like to me.

ToyotaTechDoc_tyre.pdf

I agree it would be nice to operate without a spare but this instruction looks a bit Heath-Robinson like to me.

Apparently the 'gunk' used with a compressor for re-inflation is water based and can be washed out, unlike the single shot aerosol stuff that inflates and seals at the same time, which is latex based. Would be good to hear from a tyre fitter with regard to actual cases and difficulty of repair.

ToyotaTechDoc_tyre.pdf

Apparently the 'gunk' used with a compressor for re-inflation is water based and can be washed out, unlike the single shot aerosol stuff that inflates and seals at the same time, which is latex based. Would be good to hear from a tyre fitter with regard to actual cases and difficulty of repair.

Need to be careful with this, as Im pretty sure I remember reading on these forums that use of the Tyre Seal products on a T180 is likely to block up the pressure sensors located in the valves. And they arent cheap !

Think the spare wheel makes better sense.

And as I'm off on my annual 900 mile drive plus ferry trip tomorrow, I've no regrets about buying it either. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the hols Dave. Watch out for the gulls, they seem to like silver RAVs for target practice at the moment (well at least mine :angry: ).

Unfortunately, I remember seeing from "the book of proving anything with stats", that a silver car = more likely to get bird **** on than any other colour.

What AM refers to as a rear door ornament, every time for me please. No punctures for years, then 3 in about 8 months has proven its worth as far as I am concerned. All repairable, but I'm not sure they would have been if I hadn't got the spare.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a spare even if it is the CRV idia of a spacesaver but I have only ever had one puncture and that was repairable too so if modern cars are coming with a kit and statistically we are saying we don't need to lug the thing around then I am open minded.

Having said that, I can see for the guys that are touring or towing the situation is different and in those cases I can see the practicality of carrying a spare in the boot.

It's horses for courses!

I have been paying for Club Toyota each year and not used them yet. If I got a puncture that was unrepairable I'd get those bggrs out. It has gone up to £59 this year (shame on you TGB - 10% price rise in this day and age is out of order).

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a spare even if it is the CRV idia of a spacesaver....................

Opps Sorry. No, I think I fully understand your position from previous posts. I just liked it being described as an ornament. :thumbsup:. Yep a spacesaver would be fine.

an lc4 would do 30000 miles on a set of tyres & have a spare wheel. so the extra fuel it uses would be saved in just 1 puncture.

(if you forget the higher purchase price)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links