Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4wd Gearbox - Maybe A Problem!

Andase

Hello all

I am a landcruiser newbie :)

I have just bought a Colorado GX TD (Auto) 1999 T reg.

The 4 wheel drive stick has LL, L, N, HL and H. When I picked it up the stick was in HL... On the dash the center diff light was on, I wasnt sure if it was a warning etc so I read through the owners manual, It says HL is for road use in ice snow etc, and that H is for road use dry tarmac etc for better mpg and performance... When I put it into H the car seems to be in neutral with drive or reverse, is this correct?? shouldnt it be HL for normal driving.

Thanks for reading

Andy

H should be for normal driving and HL is when the centre diff is locked, so if the centre diff is locked both axles are trying to tun at the same speed, on tarmac this will cause problems as one wheel will not slip and cause wind up in the transmission.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that was the case but the problem is when its in H its as if its in N will not go forwards or backwards? Is there a trick to get from HL to H or is mine faulty?

Thanks

Andy

H should be for normal driving and HL is when the centre diff is locked, so if the centre diff is locked both axles are trying to tun at the same speed, on tarmac this will cause problems as one wheel will not slip and cause wind up in the transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy,

Will this cause any part failure to the car 4WD system " as one wheel will not slip and cause wind up in the transmission"

I am quite new to 4wd car also.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I came across this post while desperately seeking the solution to a similar problem. In the snow last week I put the car into 4X4 and an orange icon came up. The problem is that I can't get rid of it and I seem to be stuck in 4X4 (tyres skid on tight turns etc.) Whatever position I try to put the drive in, the icon remains. In some positions, the car will not move forward or backwards. Any ideas? It's a 2002 auto.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links