Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Oil Change

wastedagen

Hi,

I am doing my (mine not the cars) first Auris oil change and have finally located the oil filter/cartridge. Was initially looking for the other type of filter. No wonder I couldn't find it.................Doh!!!

Anyways, before I start undoing the wrong thing can someone please tell me which bit i undo. Is it A or B (using the lugs). Or is it A then B (both have to come off)?

I don't want to undo the wrong thing and break the seal, then have to walk back to Toyota cos I don't have a car. You see where i'm going with this! ;)

Thanks in advance...............

A

oilfilter1.jpg

B

oilfilter2.jpg

i have no idea, just stop bein a ! and get toyota to do it

What do you mean by being a ! :angry:

Toyota says you're supposed to remove the plug "A" and insert the plastic tube that comes with the element. This will allow the oil in the filter housing to drain out. Then remove the large cap with the lugs "B" and replace the element, large O ring and small O ring that also come with the element. Or you can just remove the cap "B" and let the oil run out. It's messy, but simpler. Be sure to lubricate the new O rings with fresh oil and make certain they are seated properly. You can also buy a 14-sided wrench to fit the cap. I think it's 64mm, but don't quote me on that.

Don't you care about the warranty? :huh:

Best regards, Alex

This link might help you with that filter change, it's the same on the RAV;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81467

Don't worry about the warranty, in the first pages of your warranty book it says that Toyota will underwrite the warranty no matter who does it as long as it is done in accordance with the Toyota manual and with recommended parts. I have serviced mine since it was new in 2006.

Thanks all for your replys.

It has nothing to do with being a tight ar~e (if that was what I wa being called) - I like to do oil changes myself - a piece of mind.

This link might help you with that filter change, it's the same on the RAV;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81467

Don't worry about the warranty, in the first pages of your warranty book it says that Toyota will underwrite the warranty no matter who does it as long as it is done in accordance with the Toyota manual and with recommended parts. I have serviced mine since it was new in 2006.

Thanks anchorman for the link. Thats brilliant.

Regards

That's cool, did not even know about that :)

Good luck with your project wastedagen!

Best regards, Alex

thts ok if you just like to do it urself, for the fun and stuff, oh and in liverpool if you call someone a jew then it means they are a tight *****. Thats for all those who live in a PC part of the country :D

regards

Be careful. How you're quoting isn't quite true.

The work has to be done to Toyotas maintenance standards by someone competent to do it.

Getting your mate Fred to do it because he's a bit handy with a spanner isn't exactly going to cover it.

For example, if you did an oil/filter change and 300 miles later the filter unwound, starving the engine of oil and shafting the bearings and wrecking it I suspect you'd find Toyota very unsympathetic.

So with a break in the weather I went to do my oil change. Armed with the tools and my newly bought oil filter socket I preceeded to climb under the car.

Needless to say the manufacturer that makes the 64mm socket doesn't work to the same tolerences as say Toyota, or me for that matter. 64mm should be 64mm, not 63.3 across one set of flats and 63.7 across another. :angry:

So doing the oil change was a bust cos I just couldn't get the socket on the oil filter housing. Short of filing down a quarter of a mill on every flat, i thought that was a bit extreme. But if I must then I will.

I have now ordered a 65mm socket from the same place, and assuming that the 65mm was made the same way as the 64mm it should fit. Some logic there.

We'll See..........................

hello mate i work for toyota and we never undo the 14mm (A),because they often round off just undo the whole lot,remove the paper filter and rubber o ring then clean up and refit parts in reverse order hope this helps.

hello mate i work for toyota and we never undo the 14mm (A),because they often round off just undo the whole lot,remove the paper filter and rubber o ring then clean up and refit parts in reverse order hope this helps.

Thanks I did wonder if it was necessary to undo (A) first but as I've never done it I kept quiet. I take it then that once you undo (B the oil will run out every where. Just need to be prepared to catch it I guess.

P.S. What do you use to undo the oil filter housing nut? A 64mm socket or plane old pliers/molegrips?

Thanks..................

no probs mate,and yes oil will run out so need something to catch it in.we have a special oil filter tool supplied by toyota which also undo the petrol engines metal oil filter as these are exactly the same size.

We'll I finally got my oil change done. But it was not without it's problems.

My first problem was finding out how tight the oil housing is screwed on. Is 40NM really that tight?

I put so much effort into trying to unscrew the housing the welds on the socket gave way.

broken1f.jpg

But on closer inspect I'm not suprised they gave way cos they couldn't have been welded properly in the first place.

Inbetween the socket and 3/8" plate was this. Rust and oil.

brokenrustoil.jpg

So I had to quickly/temporarily do a fix.

tempfix.jpg

I will take this to work now and replace those bolts with Titanium rivets. Tart it up and a respray.

Now that this was back together i still had to try and unscrew the housing. I put as much force on it as I dare but still didn't budge. This was with a warm/hot engine, hoping expansion would help me out. Nope!!! In the end I resorted to something I really didn't want to do. And that was hit the lugs on the housing with a drift and hammer. Finally it moved a bit and I was able to finish unscrewing with the socket.

I put it back together with the socket only. I managed to tighten up just missing some aligning marks I made earlier to see how far off it was.

I will endevour to source a torque wrench for my next oil change.

So all in all, a 30min oil change to me 4 friggin hours. :crybaby:

On a side note, is it neceassry to have all those plastic covers underneath as they just get in the way. Is it ok to permenantly remove them. This is the first car I've had that has covers of any kind.

Is it a protection thing and/or an aerodynamic thing?

Just curious...............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links