Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Immobiliser Not Working

dns17

Hi Guys,

When I bought my car I only received one OEM toyota key with the central lock button integrated. I decided to get a spare cut just in case my original was accidentally locked inside/lost etc. So after checking to make sure my door lock would open with the spare, I decided to check the engine immobilser and to my surprise the engine started and I was able to drive away!

Obviously the immobiliser is not working which is now very worrying. Can anyone one shed light on this situation? Has mine been removed or de-activated and how will I know? Can I get an immobiliser unit (???) from another car and put it in?

Thanks in advance guys

P.s. My remote is from Japan (as is the car!) and only has one small lock/unlock button on the side as opposed to a separate lock and unlock button on UK supplied remotes that I've seen.

Hi Guys,

When I bought my car I only received one OEM toyota key with the central lock button integrated. I decided to get a spare cut just in case my original was accidentally locked inside/lost etc. So after checking to make sure my door lock would open with the spare, I decided to check the engine immobilser and to my surprise the engine started and I was able to drive away!

Obviously the immobiliser is not working which is now very worrying. Can anyone one shed light on this situation? Has mine been removed or de-activated and how will I know? Can I get an immobiliser unit (???) from another car and put it in?

Thanks in advance guys

P.s. My remote is from Japan (as is the car!) and only has one small lock/unlock button on the side as opposed to a separate lock and unlock button on UK supplied remotes that I've seen.

Hey there,

I think I have the same kind of celica as you (mine is a late 99 gen 7 model), well its from japan anyway, the key your describe is the same as mine. I don't believe there is a immobilizer in this model. Well not in mine anyway, the button on the side of the key is merely for central locking only. Unless you have seen a key symbol on the dash come on before, I doubt yours has immobilization.

I had a 3rd party car alarm fitted to mine, which provides the mobilization now.

Thanks for the reply macman. You might be onto something there. Will have a look for the key symbol you mention.

Can anyone else confirm whether jap imports of this age have an engine immobiliser or not?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links