Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 1.4 D4d Gearbox Problem

Paul E

Seen a few reports of gearbox problems on Corollas - mostly CTS. My wife's car started making a slight noise - sounded like exhaust was blowing, but our regular (non-Toyota) mechanic suspected gearbox bearings, confirmed by local Toyota. This is a 2005 car with 53k miles, driven gently.

Just had the gearbox stripped and rebuilt by our local Toyota (RRG denton). Could have looked for a scrap box but all came with very short warranty whereas Toyota give 12 months on their repairs. 2 bearings were noisy, but had all 4 replaced to be on the safe side. Given the sums I'd seen quoted from other unfortunates on the forums, I felt lucky to get away with £760. Toyota Customer Relations weren't interested as we'd had the 4 year service done outside the dealer network. Would only have given money off the parts anyway, most of the job was labour.

Car now drives beautifully, but gearboxes should not go at just over 4 years!

Paul

Seen a few reports of gearbox problems on Corollas - mostly CTS. My wife's car started making a slight noise - sounded like exhaust was blowing, but our regular (non-Toyota) mechanic suspected gearbox bearings, confirmed by local Toyota. This is a 2005 car with 53k miles, driven gently.

Just had the gearbox stripped and rebuilt by our local Toyota (RRG denton). Could have looked for a scrap box but all came with very short warranty whereas Toyota give 12 months on their repairs. 2 bearings were noisy, but had all 4 replaced to be on the safe side. Given the sums I'd seen quoted from other unfortunates on the forums, I felt lucky to get away with £760. Toyota Customer Relations weren't interested as we'd had the 4 year service done outside the dealer network. Would only have given money off the parts anyway, most of the job was labour.

Car now drives beautifully, but gearboxes should not go at just over 4 years!

Paul

my gear box on my 1.4 2002 corolla went at just 54k miles! wasnt happy at all!

• 10 years later...

My toyota d4d 2004 cant engage gears 4 and 5 ,  number 5 is very stiff. It makes noise when engaging gear number 2,gear number 4 just slips to neutral.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links