Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt

timing belt paul

Hi everyone,I'm Paul a brand new member and I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with a maintenance problem I have. The timing belt on my 2004 Avensis D4D is due for replacement and there doesn't seem to be any information available on how to tackle the job. Haynes do not do a workshop manual for the Avensis after 2003 and with this being a critical component I don't want to attempt it without the necessary info. It doesn't look too complicated but I need to know how to remove the crankshaft pulley and how to lock the camshaft pulleys and fuel pump etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Paul.

Hi everyone,I'm Paul a brand new member and I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with a maintenance problem I have. The timing belt on my 2004 Avensis D4D is due for replacement and there doesn't seem to be any information available on how to tackle the job. Haynes do not do a workshop manual for the Avensis after 2003 and with this being a critical component I don't want to attempt it without the necessary info. It doesn't look too complicated but I need to know how to remove the crankshaft pulley and how to lock the camshaft pulleys and fuel pump etc.

Hi Paul download the full Avensis manual from this link and you will get all the info you need http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94667 ;)

Regards Pete.

Hi Paul download the full Avensis manual from this link and you will get all the info you need http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94667 ;)

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete,this is a great help. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find what I needed. I should be able to do the job now although I'm surprised there is no provision for locking the camshaft,fuel pump etc. while the timing belt is off. Cheers mate no doubt I will speak to you soon. Kind regards,Paul.

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete,this is a great help. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find what I needed. I should be able to do the job now although I'm surprised there is no provision for locking the camshaft,fuel pump etc. while the timing belt is off. Cheers mate no doubt I will speak to you soon. Kind regards,Paul.

Hi Paul, I hope the job goes well for you and if it is anything like the petrol engines you may well be advised to change the water pump as well due to problems to come later. I think you biggest problem will be getting the bottom pulley off so best of luck mate .... Oh! it goes without saying ... get a new belt from Toyota or at least a Gates brand.

Regards Pete.

Regards Pete.

Hi Paul, I hope the job goes well for you and if it is anything like the petrol engines you may well be advised to change the water pump as well due to problems to come later. I think you biggest problem will be getting the bottom pulley off so best of luck mate .... Oh! it goes without saying ... get a new belt from Toyota or at least a Gates brand.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete.Do you actually have any experience of changing the belt because it seems very dodgy to me to do it without being able to lock the various pumps and cams. This is the first car I have come across where there is no provision for locking the vital bits - if one of the pulleys moves just one tooth it will be a disaster and according to Euro Car Parts there is no locking tool available. I think I will be able to make or hire a puller for the removal of the crankshaft pulley so that shouldn't be a problem but fitting the belt even slightly wrong gives me nightmares. Speak to you soon mate,Regards,Paul.

To timing belt paul,

Sorry to jump in on this tread. Just to back up t-spiritpete, make sure you use original parts & do change the water pump. New belt on old water-pump with nearly 120,000 miles on it will in many cases killl water pump bearings. I no longer change belts on these engines unless customer agrees to pump change on high milage cars.

You have no need for a locking kit apart from a puller for bottom pulley which will not come off without puller. All timing points are clearly laid out.

Water pump is a very large unit which holds high pressure fuel pump, do not be put off by this, if you take your time you will find job very straight forward.

Remember all timing marks are clearly laid out, but if you are wary off this, put car into a garage for renewal.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: You will not find any company selling locking kit for this engine as it is not required.

To timing belt paul,

Sorry to jump in on this tread. Just to back up t-spiritpete, make sure you use original parts & do change the water pump. New belt on old water-pump with nearly 120,000 miles on it will in many cases killl water pump bearings. I no longer change belts on these engines unless customer agrees to pump change on high milage cars.

You have no need for a locking kit apart from a puller for bottom pulley which will not come off without puller. All timing points are clearly laid out.

Water pump is a very large unit which holds high pressure fuel pump, do not be put off by this, if you take your time you will find job very straight forward.

Remember all timing marks are clearly laid out, but if you are wary off this, put car into a garage for renewal.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: You will not find any company selling locking kit for this engine as it is not required.

Thanks Beagh, I don't mind you jumping in at all mate I need all the help and advice I can get. I think I can hire a puller for the crankshaft pulley but how is the belt tensioned,is it automatic? Kind Regards, Paul.

I recomend that you change the camsaft and crankshaft pulleys as well. The start wearing off.

To timing belt paul,

As cmia suggests, tension is applied to belt via small alloy bodied hydraulic tensioner with extruding rod that tensions belt. Should you be unlikeky enough to find a bit of fluid has escaped from tensioner, change it. Only held on by two bolts.

Regards, Beagh.

I recomend that you change the camsaft and crankshaft pulleys as well. The start wearing off.

Good advice, Iwill check them carefully.

To timing belt paul,

As cmia suggests, tension is applied to belt via small alloy bodied hydraulic tensioner with extruding rod that tensions belt. Should you be unlikeky enough to find a bit of fluid has escaped from tensioner, change it. Only held on by two bolts.

Regards, Beagh.

Thanks Beagh, I should be ok to do the job now all I need is a dry day.

if you want, you can take pictures and make a write up for other members :D

- so the same questions dont need to be asked :)

Good idea cmia, I am not very good with computers but my son will show me how to upload pictures and things on his digital camera.

If you go to "Autodata" website, for a small fee you can print of A4 size picture of timing belt set-up.

Regards, Beagh.

Thanks Beagh. T-spiritpete sent me a link from which you can download all the information you need about the Avensis, it's brilliant. I will be attempting the job as soon as we get some decent weather- hopefully towards the end of this week. I will keep you informed how I do. Kind Regards,Paul.

I'm getting the timing belt changed at the end of the week as part of 60k service. Strange things is - the Toyota garage called me up and gave me a price for doing the 60k service, and ran through everything, except for the timing belt. Price was about £240 I think. Then, when I went to get a quote from a local garage, they then mentioned about replacing the timing belt!! Had to go back to Toyota, in which case they said "....well, yeah,......it probably does need changed I suppose!!" :o

Anyway, I got a quote from another recommended garage and he's doing the timing belt, full service, and wheel alignment for about £300.

My 54 Avensis D4D has done just under the 60,000 miles - should I be suggesting anything else needing changed on this model, or just leave it up to him to check?

Thanks

I'm getting the timing belt changed at the end of the week as part of 60k service. Strange things is - the Toyota garage called me up and gave me a price for doing the 60k service, and ran through everything, except for the timing belt. Price was about £240 I think. Then, when I went to get a quote from a local garage, they then mentioned about replacing the timing belt!! Had to go back to Toyota, in which case they said "....well, yeah,......it probably does need changed I suppose!!" :o

Anyway, I got a quote from another recommended garage and he's doing the timing belt, full service, and wheel alignment for about £300.

My 54 Avensis D4D has done just under the 60,000 miles - should I be suggesting anything else needing changed on this model, or just leave it up to him to check?

Thanks

Hi astrobhoy, my 04 reg Avensis T-Spirit has done almost 89,000 miles and I am just waiting for an opportunity to change the belt myself. I partly stripped the job down last week but then decided I needed more information before I attempted it. But I took the time to give the belt a good looking at and there were no obvious signs of severe wear and tear. Some people I've spoken to say it should be changed at 60,000 and some say 90,000. If Toyota weren't insisting changing it then maybe the service schedule says 90,000. It won't do any harm to change it at 60,000 but anything else you can probably leave to your mechanic. Regards,Paul.

Timing belt on D4D should be changed at 60,000 miles, those that advice you to leave it to 90,000 miles are completely wrong. I would rather change belt at correct milage than have potential belt failure at a higher incorrect milage.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: And believe me it does happen, resulting in a huge bill for wrecked engine.

Timing belt change now complete. I made a puller to remove crankshaft pulley and the job went quite well although it took quite a while because I took my time to avoid mistakes [can't afford mistakes with this component]. I must say it is one of the most difficult cars I have worked on, so many components , covers etc. but I am relieved it is now done and have the peace of mind that it will not need doing again for 60,000 miles. I would like to thank everybody for their help and advice especially T-spiritpete for that brilliant download. Speak to you all again soon,Best regards, Paul.

Timing belt change now complete. I made a puller to remove crankshaft pulley and the job went quite well although it took quite a while because I took my time to avoid mistakes [can't afford mistakes with this component]. I must say it is one of the most difficult cars I have worked on, so many components , covers etc. but I am relieved it is now done and have the peace of mind that it will not need doing again for 60,000 miles. I would like to thank everybody for their help and advice especially T-spiritpete for that brilliant download. Speak to you all again soon,Best regards, Paul.

Hi Paul! Glad all went well with the cam belt change, did you take any photos of the job as it progressed to completion as that would be great for the forum if you did. Mine has a chain so i hope no problems arise in that dept with the tensioner etc. Anyway i'm glad my input was helpful as was all the others who replied. So you are "the man" now for anyone else who needs help with a D4D timing belt .... LOL! ;)

Best regards Pete.

Hi Paul! Glad all went well with the cam belt change, did you take any photos of the job as it progressed to completion as that would be great for the forum if you did. Mine has a chain so i hope no problems arise in that dept with the tensioner etc. Anyway i'm glad my input was helpful as was all the others who replied. So you are "the man" now for anyone else who needs help with a D4D timing belt .... LOL! ;)

Best regards Pete.

Thanks Pete, it's certainly a weight off my mind getting it done although I must say the old belt didn't look knackered even though it was well past it's sell by date. I meant to do a picture blog but once I started the job my hands were dirty. But if anyone else is contemplating doing their own belt and saving about 250 quid I can certainly give them plenty of first hand advice while it's fresh in my mind. Like I say it is quite a complex job but quite within the capabilities of a diy mechanic with some experience if they take their time. Speak to you soon no doubt, best regards, Paul.

Hi

I am considering doing cambelt change myself and have joined this forum hoping to get some detailed info.

Having trained as vehicle Technician when I left school I have necessary tools and equipment and have done cambelts on several of my cars( i dont like being held to ransom when car is at garage and would prefer to do job myself if it is possible )

Have got relevant workshop printouts, but would like to know if holes in bottom pulley are threaded to accept bolts for the puller & would universal puller kit like Machine Mart sell do the job?

Also is it possible to remove starter motor and lock flywheel ring gear ,so crank pulley bolt can be undone.

OR ,could it be undone or "cracked" with an air gun.

Regards

Hi

I am considering doing cambelt change myself and have joined this forum hoping to get some detailed info.

Having trained as vehicle Technician when I left school I have necessary tools and equipment and have done cambelts on several of my cars( i dont like being held to ransom when car is at garage and would prefer to do job myself if it is possible )

Have got relevant workshop printouts, but would like to know if holes in bottom pulley are threaded to accept bolts for the puller & would universal puller kit like Machine Mart sell do the job?

Also is it possible to remove starter motor and lock flywheel ring gear ,so crank pulley bolt can be undone.

Regards

Hi Irwing Bronze, the holes in crankshaft pulley are threaded [8 mm] but the holes go quite deep before the threads start. The puller you need should be of the sliding pin type,only small but quite strong because the pulley is very tight. You do not have to remove starter motor, it is not necessary if you put car in 5th gear and have someone apply footbrake [that's the way I did it without any problems] the crankshaft pulley bolt is tight but no problem if you use a strongarm. If you need any more help or advice do not hesitate to contact me as I have just done this job myself very successfully and saved myself a good few quid. No doubt speak to you soon,Regards,Paul.

Hi

Having trained as vehicle Technician when I left school I have necessary tools and equipment and have done cambelts on several of my cars( i don't like being held to ransom when car is at garage and would prefer to do job myself if it is possible )

Regards

Hi Irwing Bronze, the holes in crankshaft pulley are threaded [8 mm] but the holes go quite deep before the threads start. The puller you need should be of the sliding pin type,only small but quite strong because the pulley is very tight. You do not have to remove starter motor, it is not necessary if you put car in 5th gear and have someone apply foot brake [that's the way I did it without any problems] the crankshaft pulley bolt is tight but no problem if you use a strong arm. If you need any more help or advice do not hesitate to contact me as I have just done this job myself very successfully and saved myself a good few quid. No doubt speak to you soon,Regards,Paul.

Hi,again not sure what you mean about the puller - this is the one i think will do the job http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...-and-seperators

Tried that method you said Re:crank pulley removal on a Honda Accord once but could not budge bolt ,then found out there was hole to allow flywheel ring gear to be locked up with lever,no problem this method.

How was the removal of auxiliary belts ,took under-tray off mine today ,look like simple bolt tensioners?

Did you remove any heater/glow plugs to allow easy engine turnover?

How visible are the line up marks ,once the new belt is on ,there isn't a lot of room down side of engine is there.

One more thing my local Toyota dealer quoted me £205.00 for just belt replacement (all inclusive parts,labour,vat) and said normally nothing else needs to be changed,but you never know where cars are concerned.

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links