Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Spark Plugs

Salsadicto

Hello to all of you.

I have a iq2 , 59 plate , 33 000 miles.

Have just had the spark plugs changed, replaced with NGK Laser Iridium.

My mate as a small work shop, and it took him 30 mins to change the three plugs.

Ok I paid cash total charge for the plugs , and change, was £60.

So even without a bill , no more than £90.

And the plugs which came out are still OK, just did not want to leave them in for a long time.

As in the past plugs that have been for years, are very hard to get out, and could snap of try to get them out.

Kind Regards to you all.

David

• Like 1

Now I've seen the engine in mine, there does look like a bit of work to do in comparison to other cars I've had, it was more about the high cost of the (4) plugs that's put me off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I was doing some research. Although the Denso Iridium plugs should be replaced after about 60,000 miles, they can actually last a lot longer, up to 120,000 miles according to the Denso website.

densoiridium.com/faq.php

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I was doing some research. Although the Denso Iridium plugs should be replaced after about 60,000 miles, they can actually last a lot longer, up to 120,000 miles according to the Denso website.

densoiridium.com/faq.php

I can confirm this.

I can tell you guys that the IQ sparks lasts at least 145.000 kms. Because that what i have driven and i am still on the original sparks.

• Like 1

My car is on its original spark plugs.

But it don't start

Ha Ha Ha

David

I will let you know how it starts at 200,000 km (130,000 miles).
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

HI, Where did you get your workshop manual for the 1.3 IQ

Send a PM to tarquin (posted October 2014 in this thread).

Yep, definitely ask 'tarquin' (David) as he was very helpful in providing me with the workshop manual.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

• 2 years later...

Here is my update. My car is almost 8 years old (aug 2009) ,

has done 190.000 km which is 120.000 miles and my car still starts everyday and economy is very good.

these plugs are awesome!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2014 at 4:58 PM, craggle said:

Not sure how long the coolant pipes are going to the throttle body but I'd be tempted to try removing the nuts holding the body in place and moving it forward without disturbing the coolant pipes and seeing if you can work around it. May not be possible but worth a try before draining it.

Craig.

I have not long ago replaced the spark plugs on my wife's 1.0 IQ and can confirm that this is possible. 

I know this topic is a couple of years old now, but it came up on a google search when I was looking for information on how to change the spark plugs so I thought I would join the forum to add my experience hopefully to help others. 

The information I found online, especially a YouTube video, related to the 1.3 version and after watching it I was expecting to have to remove wipers, scuttle panel and coolant etc but it seems the 1.0 version is mercifully easier and you don't need to touch the wipers or coolant.

After removing the air intake trunking, the throttle body can be carefully moved out of the way by removing a screw and a nut, just be sure not to bend, pull or stress the coolant pipes at all. 

Then you should have access to all 3 coils which are individually held in with a screw on each one. 

Matt

• 1 year later...

If anyone still needs information on how to change the spark plugs on a 998cc IQ, I’ve provided details below after completing the job this afternoon. It should take about 90 minutes and is pretty straightforward.

Tools required: 10mm socket, 10mm spark plug socket and extension, cross head screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, 3 new denso Iridium spark plugs

1. Disconnect the Battery connections

2. Loosen the clamps on the large inlet rubber pipe (cross head screwdRiver or 10mm socket) and the clip on the small side pipe on the right hand side of this pipe - and remove

3. Disconnect the 2 electrical plugs on either side of the throttle body (which the inlet pipe goes into. To do this you willl need to press down the clip on side of the connector and ease it off. A flat head screwdriver can help to press down the tab and ease the plug off. It may be useful to disconnect the clamp which holds the wires, by pressing on either side on the tabs where the connector mounts.

4. There are 4 bolts / nuts holding the throttle body in place. Remove the 3 bolts on the front of the throttle body using a 10mm socket. Remove the 10mm nut on the right hand side and slide the throttle body forward. You may want to unclip the 2 rubber hoses at the top of the throttle body where they clip into rubber clips - just press upwards with your fingers to unclip

5. Slide the throttle body forward until it is just clear of the stud which the 4th nut was connected to. Then lift the throttle body up by a couple of inches and insert the stud into the mounting hole. This will keep the throttle body out of the way and ensure that the coolant hoses are not damaged

6. You will then see the 3 coil packs in front of you. Each is held in place with a 10mm bolt. Start with the first one - order isn’t important. Undo the bolt and disconnect the electrical connector. To do this pres down on the tab on top of the connector and ease off. As before, a flat head screwdriver can help here. Then pull out the coil pack and put to one side

7. Using the spark plug spanner, remove the spark plug. This takes a while as the thread  on the spark plug is quite long. Screw in the new spark plug to a torque of 15ft lb. insert the coil pack attach the electrical connector and bolt down with the bolt. No torque setting here, but needs to be pretty tight. The hardest thing here is getting the socket off the spark plug - it took a bit of jiggling to get it off.

8. Repeat for the 2 other plugs. I found to get enough clearance for the middle plug, I had to take the throttle body off the stud and lift a bit higher, taking care not to put strain on coolant pipes

9. Refit the throttle body using the 3 bolts and the nut (to connect to the stud)

10. Reattach the electrical plugs on either side of the throttle body, and the connector holding the wire in place, if you removed it

11. Reattach the inlet pipe, and tighten the 2 clamps at either end and the clip holding the smaller side tube in place

12. Reconnect the Battery terminals

13. Start car and congratulate yourself for saving so much money by not getting the dealer to do it for you and that it’s 60,000 miles until you have to do it again!

I hope this is useful to someone.

• Like 2

Guide created in Chris-M's name:  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2014 at 10:46 PM, tarquin said:

My car is on its original spark plugs.

But it don't start

Ha Ha Ha

David

So, now I have driven 199,000 km and my iQ still starts, same 9,5 year old factory sparks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/11/2018 at 12:05 AM, davidgilmour said:

So, now I have driven 199,000 km and my iQ still starts, same 9,5 year old factory sparks!

How is the MPG or km/l with the original spark plug is it still same or worse?

thanks,

• 2 months later...

Good evening, I have the IQ3 2013 and am close to 60k so was thinking about changing the plugs. Noted 60k is the recommended interval and they are not a normal service item (I was never sure) but they appear to last longer if required. To change them myself is I think ambitious so will ask Toyota Altrincham for a quote and see what they say?!

Toyota Altrincham have quoted £205 and for comparison Halfords Altrincham have quoted £236. As mine are original and just over 9 years old I’ll be asking Toyota to change them shortly, at least the car gets a bath included in the price. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

Wow, I remember my first car when I the spark plugs had to be changed every 6000 miles or once a year whatever came first.   What a job though, pull off each HT lead (one at a time so you did not mix up the firing order), unscrew the old plug and screw in the new one, with the gap already checked.  The whole job took all of ten minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

Toyota Altrincham have quoted £205 and for comparison Halfords Altrincham have quoted £236. As mine are original and just over 9 years old I’ll be asking Toyota to change them shortly, at least the car gets a bath included in the price. Hope this is helpful.

They are hoping you are stupid!  Do not prove them correct. You will get the plugs for less than £40 for the lot (is it 3 cylinder or 4?  Fitting as Paul says above.  You may need a long reach thin wall plug spanner to remove them.... a one off purchase, available on eBay for less than £15.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself, any decent garage would do it..... and I don't mean main dealers.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I notice that the 'full' 80,000 service doesn't, I think, mention spark plugs...

Think I'll stick with my current (48,000) ones for now.

[Great thread]