Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going From An Auris T180 To A Hilux Invincible 3.0

boozehound

Hi all, i have been driving a T180 auris for 2 years now and next summer i am really considering getting a hilux 3.0 diesel automatic. Are there any main gripes with this truck? or with the auto box? I think its weird for the truck not to have a 6 speed option esp when the car i am driving now develops slightly more HP and Torque and has a 6 speed gear box.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO dont get the auto, mine boiled the trans fluid regularly and i know of another which blew the torque converter, and they're thirsty low 20's

dont get the auto? are the problems you discussed covered under warranty? Oh i know they will get less than 31mpg but the VAT and tax benefits from buying it through the company will balance for this

dont get the auto? are the problems you discussed covered under warranty? Oh i know they will get less than 31mpg but the VAT and tax benefits from buying it through the company will balance for this

the new 5 speed auto im sure will be better, but the dealers i went to couldnt resolve it (1 hadnt even seen a lux auto before!) i got 22mpg from mine, coupled with servicing every 10k miles meant it became prohibitively expensive to run

i wanna get the 3.0 auto model u see, the new one that has been out for about a year now i think, and i want to get the toyota motorsport chip as well for the engine (im sure you know about this) whats the most you have had out of the engine mpg wise? What model is yours? and year?

i wanna get the 3.0 auto model u see, the new one that has been out for about a year now i think, and i want to get the toyota motorsport chip as well for the engine (im sure you know about this) whats the most you have had out of the engine mpg wise? What model is yours? and year?

Dec 07 see signature for mods. rolling resistance kills the mpg, but dont expect to get more than 30 if you drive like miss daisy on a long run

i really like the design. I am seriously considering one

speak to Adam at www.sampsonsltd.com tell him gabbo told you about him he'll sort you a good deal and is great with mods too

Hi boozehound

I can understand you wanting one. I have a new 09 reg [facelift] Hl3 3.0 double cab, manual. This replaced my 08 reg Hl3 3.0 double cab, manual. As far as my experience goes there are no issues with them whatsoever. You can buy one with total confidence.

You don't say if you are going to buy new or not. Either way, my advice is buy from the main dealer. It is a myth that the main dealer is more expensive than non-franchised. In fact the main dealer is often significantly cheaper than the others.

As the Hilux is a commercial vehicle, it is the Business Centre at the main dealer that you will deal with. Having bought three new Toyota's from the Business Centre in less than eighteen months, [two Hilux's, one AYGO]I can report that the discount they give is far better than the 'ordinary' sales people would.

Why do you specifaly want an auto ? the manual is more economical and about £1000 cheaper.

As regards mpg, on a trip to Northumberland recently on motorways and back lanes, I averaged 35.4 mpg.

Knocking about locally, short trips [4 -6 miles] and towing, I get about 29.5 mpg.

speak to Adam at www.sampsonsltd.com tell him gabbo told you about him he'll sort you a good deal and is great with mods too

Dealers, =Steelers= aside.

The truck is superb. Really rides as a big sedan

30mpg. And what do you want? For a car of that size and weight? Come on.

Motor and A/T Exelent.

The one and only thing really nimportant to consider is;

In my case It has ADD. This means no 4x4 capabilitys!!!

And the engine will run only on Low sulphur diesel. So if you,re where planning on to go all the way to ZA, you will not have the waranty of actually getting there. So ADD plus the fuel constraint render this truck as it,s to a big 0.

Got the one you,re looking at. I didn,t know about it until I pay for it. Too bad.

Greetings

i thought they all had 4 wheel drive capability? I want an auto cos im 25 just turned and too old for manual transmissions now. What are the gears for this?

i thought they all had 4 wheel drive capability? I want an auto cos im 25 just turned and too old for manual transmissions now. What are the gears for this?

-4x4- sort of say it.

W/out the opcion of to block the diff. 100% it,s not good for anything.

So you have to go on to the aftermarket ARB and the likes to get it.

Big bucks and know how it,s not waranted. Sad reality

im gonna have to check tht out. What are the gear options in it? (besides the 5 forward gears and reverse)

what Sevil might mean is that these are not 4x4 all the time cars. the run rear wheel drive with a 4x4 hi & low option. this is only an off road on poor traction use option as they do not have diff's so you will get something called transmission wind up.

i currently have a navara and i can tell you the majority of road and off road 2wd is fine.

i only had to pop it into 4wd once to get me out of a spot.

you won't regret the invincible it is a nice motor.

you may be able to still get a limited edition one called the invincible 200 that came chipped with toyota motor sport kit. it was out last year some time and give there is a new facelift you may get a good deal on one.

The one and only thing really nimportant to consider is;

In my case It has ADD. This means no 4x4 capabilitys!!!

ADD is nothing to do with diff locks or capability off road!

No pickup on the market has a front diff lock as standard as far as i know.

97% of SUV's never go off road :rolleyes: so unless you plan on going off road why would you need a diff lock for a road going vehicle? I can do a chip kit for you, no problem

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

thanks fellas, i want one of these so so so so very bad! i have had cars on contract hire from toyota since i was 17 through my dads company and my next car i want to buy it so i have something at the end of the payments and from what i seen on top gear and word of mouth the hilux is practically immortal, i mean if the rag terrorists use them they must be good and they look really really nice. Have there been any further gripes?

Have there been any further gripes?

Lots of injector problems on the 3 litres but all sorted under warranty so no big issue. Clutch thrust bearing on mine (done under warranty), a few with minor paint quality control problems (done under warranty), some chrome tarnishing (mine done under warranty but some struggling to get theirs done).

In the rare event that you have any problems Toyota seem very good at covering it under warranty, especially compared to the Navara Issues for example...

i have looked at the pictures of the interior and cant make out what gear selections there are on the auto box and on the low range box. What are the gear options for both these? i know that on the auto there are a few addittional options that you dont find on normal autos

Hi,

i've recently bought an 08 crewcab invincible 3L auto.

im really pleased with it, the mpg is an average 28.5mpg, as the on board computer gives you a read out.

mine is a 4 speed auto box, but i hear the new 09/10 model is a 5 speed auto, so that should be a bit better for long runs.

the second stick gives you 4high, 2 high and 4 low options.

it drives great , only thing i keep hearing is, unladen in the wet the rear end sometimes wants to spin out if you go into a corner a bit hot, so just watch that.

i recently used it in the snow and ice we've just had and it blew me away how well it handeled the bad weather.

hope this helps a bit

karl

thanks karl, yes the new ones do have 5 speed autos which is what is needed in order to keep tht 3.0 litre diesel from sucking too much juice on the motorways i guess. So in the snow you left it in 4wheel high all the time? is there much difference in mpg between the 2wheel high and 4 wheel high? does any one have the modern 5 speed auto? and if so, what are the gear selections please

To be fair , while we had the snow and ice due to my work commitments i did not need to drive the truck too often, so i cant give a true mpg for 4wd, but from what i remember it dropped about 5-6 mpg in 4wd.

yes i was in 4high all the time in the snow and it drove fantastic!,

is there much difference in mpg between the 2wheel high and 4 wheel high?

You cant really compare the 2 as 4WD should only be used in snow/ice/off road etc.