Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Not Starting In Hot Weather

Casey

Hi,

I drive an Avensis 1998 4 door saloon. For some weeks now, i have been having problems with starting the car in hot weather.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

I spoke to my mechanic and he is saying that it could be either my batteries or starter. I see no rational behind this because, this happens only when the weather is hot! In the mornings and nights it starts on one touch.

Please someone talk to me.

Many thanks.

Hi,

I drive an Avensis 1998 4 door saloon. For some weeks now, i have been having problems with starting the car in hot weather.

I spoke to my mechanic and he is saying that it could be either my batteries or starter. I see no rational behind this because, this happens only when the weather is hot! In the mornings and nights it starts on one touch.

Many thanks.

Does it start after some attempts?

I have similar problem and I know that it is caused by the ignition switch/key lock barrel. It costs approx. 80£ for the part if you can change it by yourself. There are some guides around.

Hi,

Many thanks.

hello Casey

chesk with all el contacts to starter + its solenoid.

Whether you normally hear a click when attempt to start in hot condition?

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Many thanks.

hello Casey

Cheers/Igor

you dont say whether the car is turning over and not starting or just dead?

Sorry guys, i have been away.

Many a time when i turn the key, it is just dead except for the dash board lights that come on. At other times, i hear a tiny clicking sound from the bonnet area.

After several trials - 3 to 4, it eventually starts!

Any more ideas?

Many thanks,

Confused Casey :-))

Hi,

Many thanks.

hello Casey

Cheers/Igor

you dont say whether the car is turning over and not starting or just dead?

look at starter motor or relay.

yes it is definitely primer solenoid ability to move a rod with el contacts.

have it taken off, dismantled + greased + contacts cleaniing.

the resault must be OK

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Is this something I can do myself? if so how do i go about it?

If not, I'll have trouble telling my stubborn mechanic what to do! He will be like erm "if you knew this much why don't you do your repairs yourself?"

Also he will just take the opportunity to rip me off.

Please let me know OR anyone else who knows pls tell me.

Kind regards,

Casey

look at starter motor or relay.

yes it is definitely primer solenoid ability to move a rod with el contacts.

have it taken off, dismantled + greased + contacts cleaniing.

the resault must be OK

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Many thanks.

Hi Casey, i think your mechanic is spot on so why don't you try a jump lead start when it is hot and if it is still not starting it could well be the starter motor and/or solenoid. Try putting a multimeter across the Battery whilst someone tries to start the car, if the 12volts drops below 9-10 volts under the load then the Battery is knackered. Both my suggestions won't cost you a penny if you have access to jump leads and a multimeter. The other old tried and tested method is to try starting the car with the headlights on .... if they dim or go out the Battery is knackered if they don't then you have a poor connection or faulty starter motor ... and i know what you are going to say but heat can cause some strange faults as i have found in my long career in the motor trade. I was always taught to look at the simple basic things first before getting involved in technical issues .... this usually but not always saves ££££££££££££'s! :D

Best regards Pete.

Hi Igor,

Is this something I can do myself? if so how do i go about it?

If not, I'll have trouble telling my stubborn mechanic what to do! He will be like erm "if you knew this much why don't you do your repairs yourself?"

Also he will just take the opportunity to rip me off.

Please let me know OR anyone else who knows pls tell me.

Kind regards,

Casey

---------------

hello Casey

This quoting from your mechanic looks like he usually deals with those people who are short of tech knowledges -- that is why he has been playing with his words, such us : it's necessary to do ....., replace plenty parts etc --- it is just to have your pocket emptied. My advise is not to use one mechanic with bad manners but to have them several and chose the best competitive price. Cheers/Igor

take the starter motor off..

you will see the motor housing..

then you will see another housing - selonoid..

remove grease both parts put together..

or just buy a new / used started from eBay

Don't want to confuse anyone but I thought the mk1 had problems with the ignition switch - remember mine failing with a similar sympton, although that was a number of years ago now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links