Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Change Gearbox Oil

nrgizerbunny

Thanks for that ,it doesnt look too difficult after all.

Thanks for this, need to do mine.

Can I ask though won't the oil bottle fit directly into the filler hole?

Thought this was why they had a long neck that flexed, so you would not need a big piece of pipe.

i don't think there is enough space for you to invert the oil bottle, to get it into the filler hole. by all means try but i couldn't do it.

that pipe = genius... so simple and yet so genius.. inexpensive too but i can see that would make it a hell of a lot easier.

great write up..

Joel

Seems that the bottle won't fit in the engine bay then, just on the photos there seems to be quite a bit of room. The bottle must be bigger than it looks. :lol:

Cheers for that, very useful, going to change mine in a week or 2 when I am servicing her, she's got 66k on her and looking at the service history it's never been done, looks like the hardest thing will be getting the sealing washers B)

Thanks for this nrgizer, i'll see if I can source some tubing and have a go at this next week as im on 55k and its never been done to my knowledge. Might sort out a bit of deceleration noise for me ;) .

Probably change the sparks while i'm doing it.

Will one of the mods add this to Kimi's sticky how to's at the top you think?

b and q sell the tubing and the funnel, you don't actually need the funnel because most oil will squirt into the tubing. but if you buy in bulk you will need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok job done!

The only problem I came across is that Toyota gave me the wrong sized gearbox sump washer (thanks toyota), so I had to re-use the old one and at about 2 litres of filling it started dripping out the filler plug and I had to be super quick putting the plug back in when I pulled the tube out.

Opie Oils said that Castrol have stopped making TAF-X in 1ltr bottles by the way.

Thanks for the guide ;)

If you wanna know what 55k old Gearbox oil looks like, here ya go -

post-41177-1252690946_thumb.jpg

The only problem I came across is that Toyota gave me the wrong sized gearbox sump washer (thanks toyota)

Any idea was the part number as above 90430-W0001? I'm doing mine soon, want to make sure I get the right parts.

Yea those part numbers will be correct, he handed it to me over the desk and it wasnt bagged so I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.

My own fault for not double checking! :unsure:

Just changed mine earlier today, thanks for the guide! Made it a really simple job, apart from the nuts which took a while to undo.

Toyota didn't have any gaskets in stock so I just used the old ones too ;)

But thanks again nrgizerbunny keep up the good work :thumbsup:

i can't believe that toyota don't specify an interval for changing the gearbox fluid. it certainly makes a difference when its cold.and judging by the colour of the oil at 55k, it looks screwed.

what is everyone using in the gearboxes?

i've got the motul but would be keen to know what the other guys are using.

Hey would the gearbox oil being knackered cause my gear changes to be quite choppy when the car is cold?? 1.6 T3? Also would it cause my MPG to be low??? Cheers