Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Only Revving Upto 7000rpm On My Gen 7 190

MrJP

Hello, i have already asked about this problem on another forum and got good results, but thought it would be worth asking here as well just incase something new is suggested.

Basically the car is only revving to 7000rpm, sometimes the idle drops down low as though trying to stall when started from cold and i have an engine management light. If i take the Battery off then reconnect it i lose my EML and have full lift for a few minutes but then the symptoms reutrn.

So far i have swapped the coil packs, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the lift bolts, checked the oil and cleaned the MAF sensor. Other suggestions i had were to clean the IACV (to cure throttle idle, but since swapping the spark plugs i havent had this happen yet (probably only coincedence rather than cured though), and to check the oil control valve for lift and also that the filter on it isnt blocked.

I have all but given up as i am thinking it is an electircal fault so will take it to Toyota next week to get properly diagnosed (a local garage fault reader showed i had had a misfire in cylinder 3 and 4 so not really specific enough to sort). I just thought that it was worth checking nobody else had had the exact same symptoms and knew what the problem was to save me hassle/money.

Thanks for any advice or help :)

Cheers, James

Does this car have a knock sensor on it? it sounds like what happened when my knock sensor broke apart from the low idling

Cheers guys, any ideas are worth checking out. I have taken the car into Toyota today and already they have gotten nearly £200 out of me just to try and find the fault. To be fair £45 to use the fault reader wasnt that bad, but then £140 to have a look under the Cam cover is quite a lot. Hopefully they will find the fault.

I think it is likely to be the oil control valve on the vvtli unit myself Ormi, but had gotten to the point of just wanting it fixed so now its at Toyota. I will make sure to let you all know what the fault was if only so somebody else can use the search function in the future and save themself a lot of hassle :)

Cheers, James

Cheers guys, any ideas are worth checking out. I have taken the car into Toyota today and already they have gotten nearly £200 out of me just to try and find the fault. To be fair £45 to use the fault reader wasnt that bad, but then £140 to have a look under the Cam cover is quite a lot. Hopefully they will find the fault.

I think it is likely to be the oil control valve on the vvtli unit myself Ormi, but had gotten to the point of just wanting it fixed so now its at Toyota. I will make sure to let you all know what the fault was if only so somebody else can use the search function in the future and save themself a lot of hassle :)

Cheers, James

you could have taken the oil control valve out yourself held on with one 10mm bolt and its on the back of the head drivers side,remove and clean with brake cleaner.

done this a few times(i work for a main dealer)i thought you had already checked the oil control valve. :huh:

you could have taken the oil control valve out yourself held on with one 10mm bolt and its on the back of the head drivers side,remove and clean with brake cleaner.

done this a few times(i work for a main dealer)i thought you had already checked the oil control valve. :huh:

No i was going to but booked the car in and didnt have time beforehand. It wasnt the problem anyway (i wish it had been though). The problem is that i dont have the right compression in cylinder 3 and 4. Next step is to take the head off and find out why. This is going to cost around the £500 mark, and i could end up being told that the engine is beyond repair. Really down at the moment and am just wondering if i should look out for a replacement engine and just be done with it.

I will probably get it looked at though, just hope i dont end up having to put in a new engine anyway as its just money down the drain if i do :(

Cheers, James

No i was going to but booked the car in and didnt have time beforehand. It wasnt the problem anyway (i wish it had been though). The problem is that i dont have the right compression in cylinder 3 and 4. Next step is to take the head off and find out why. This is going to cost around the £500 mark, and i could end up being told that the engine is beyond repair. Really down at the moment and am just wondering if i should look out for a replacement engine and just be done with it.

I will probably get it looked at though, just hope i dont end up having to put in a new engine anyway as its just money down the drain if i do :(

Cheers, James

Can't believe how toyota handle your case... they should know exactly what's the problem with it since it's their product but instead they end up learning on it... sorry hear that,,,, it is really costing you a fortune now and hopefully they'll fix it before it reaches 500£ co'z a change engine fitted is almost close to the cost you're having... Try check fensport.. Maybe they can help.. give them a call

Cheers for the sympathy buddy. To be fair to Toyota they were good at listening to me on the phone and taking note of stuff i had done to rule out the problem. The only way to find out where the problem lies is to get the head off, but i have looked into getting another engine fitted and it can be done with a recondtioned engine for £1800 with 12 months warranty so i am considering this.

I am in touch with Se7en motorsports at the moment and this guy is brilliant. I am hoping he will let me know what he thinks is the best course of action, ideally i would have the head removed and then if there is nothing that can be done the engine replaced all for similar cost to the people who offer the recon'd engine, but the trouble is nobody can offer me a solid quote because it is hard to say until the head's off.

Got to make a gamble of possibly wasting money checking the head or paying for a new engine when the one i had was possibly not a very expensive fix.

Cheers, James

• 1 month later...
Cheers for the sympathy buddy. To be fair to Toyota they were good at listening to me on the phone and taking note of stuff i had done to rule out the problem. The only way to find out where the problem lies is to get the head off, but i have looked into getting another engine fitted and it can be done with a recondtioned engine for £1800 with 12 months warranty so i am considering this.

I am in touch with Se7en motorsports at the moment and this guy is brilliant. I am hoping he will let me know what he thinks is the best course of action, ideally i would have the head removed and then if there is nothing that can be done the engine replaced all for similar cost to the people who offer the recon'd engine, but the trouble is nobody can offer me a solid quote because it is hard to say until the head's off.

Got to make a gamble of possibly wasting money checking the head or paying for a new engine when the one i had was possibly not a very expensive fix.

Cheers, James

Arghhhhhhh......

Mines doing the same thing

What happened to yours? what was the verdict?

Cheers

Harvey

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links