Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

got me 9" angle grinder ready. first cuts should be made at the week end :shutit:

I can't wait to see the performance of it, i can only think of one word, epic.

Just put the new uprated evo core on my car, its a damn good fit got a couple of pictures so will put them up shortly. The hot side was a little too short but i found a 100mm alloy coupler lying around and ordered some more clamps so launch date should be friday. Just waiting on oil, coolant, and jubilee clips.

she's breathing :) will update once ive ate my celebratory pizza

Got a coolant leak somewhere but i had to give up coz it was so dark, i have videos and stuff so u can all see. I dont have a downpipe on it so it sounds hurrendous haha Only finished like an hour ago. Going to upload the vids to the comp now, was surprised how well it idled

ugh these uploads are going to take years, as soon anyone watches them please venture ur opinion on where to check for the leak. I put the coolant in long before i cranked the engine and it started leaking. its dripping off the back of the lower sump pan, doesn't seem to be coming from the cambelt cover as the prime suspect would be the water pump. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know cause im going to jump on it early tomorrow. I'll have the videos posted tonight.

Right sorry my start up video did not upload but the video of the leak is ready, just a bit of a warning if the little'uns are about dont play this or use head phones cause my language isn't the best, i was outside and it was half ten, only had a t-shirt on and i was on a short fuse.

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/cloqwise/?action=view&current=06052010049.flv

Also when you are bleeding the clutch i take it u just need to keep it pressed down when the nipple is open, then when its closed keep pumping it till the pressure builds up and u get resistance? Its just it feels a little light and i can't remember if it was always like that :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnKaBG1FpY

Right started it up with no downpipe, i have ran it with no downpipe before when i drove from salisbury to southampton and it sounded similar. It idled very well at 900rpm, gave it a few gentle revs and it settled at 1100rpm, not lumpy at all on the rev counter. Would have ran it till it was hot but it was late and ppl were in bed

IT LIVES :yahoo: :yahoo: :toast: :toast:

sounds sweet as TBH.

water leak is a hard one as there are no water pipes in that area. its possible its one of the heater pipes and its running over that side of the engine if its sloping that way.

its quite a drip though so you should have no problem finding the source in day light.

its a great feeling when they fire up though aint it?

well done dude the end is in sight

Ok i found it its definitely the water pump, i thought it may have been the power steering pump at first as it gobbled up all the oil i put in it but its coming from inside the cambelt cover.

This has to be honest done me a favour, i only put gasket seal on one side of the water pump gasket so that may be the problem but the real pro is that i have the excuse to get the 205 pump now with the plastic impeller, which by all accounts is more efficient.

When i started it up i was like oh my god what have i done wrong :S Then i realised since it had not blown up things were ok. Going to take a week off in May to change it and go to this engineering place in nassington or somewhere about 7miles away to get the downpipe made up.

I'm well happy lee i just sat in it for half an hour doing nothing, i just didnt want to leave haha

The clutch is spot on, just feels like standard, its a bit bitey in reverse where u r slipping the clutch but otherwise it seems fine with no adjusment needed

YES!! Well done mate! :yahoo:

Shame about the water pump though, ARSE!

Good luck with getting it running reliably, I still haven't managed that, just no time...

The leak has settled down a bit, it wasn't even leaking when i got to it this morning and it isnt losing massive amounts so its not too bad, just need to shift her now. Well happy with the clutch though, i just hope it holds up.

Thank god for the mondeo too couldn't have done it without her, such a reliable engine which isnt a surprise cause the first day i bought it i read in the paper its the best reliable second hand car haha.

I know its a pain but its only going to aid improving my coolant system so there is a bright side. More videos and pics to come but right now i need to go fetch some petrol for her as she hasn't any in her hardly. Only problem is its going to have to be 95octane for now coz the garages here are useless.

sweet.

shame about the water pump, thought that was where it was from but didnt want to give you bad news.

did you replace the 'O' ring on the pump? they can leak. worst bt is the by pass pipes that connect to the pump housing, if they're leaking its awkward as hell to do.

whats left just downpipe and water pump?

To be honest there was 2 leaks but i tracked one down but it was only very slight. You know the port coming out the block then connects via rubber hose to the stock oil cooler, i missed the quick release clamp on there, it wasn't over the port but managed to get it on.

Yeh i replaced the O ring although the delve that it fits into had a bit of crap in it. I will order a new one anyone anyway, i'm pretty sure its not those pipes as once i got under the right wheel i could see the coolant dripping down the back of the oil pump.

Yeh downpipe, water pump, waiting on the cold air box to be finished off, need a straight air intake but i can get one from jsp. Couple of fans and thats it. Everything is in place for sensors and gauges down the line, the under trays need replacing but its not essential right now.

oh and one over due wash

To be honest there was 2 leaks but i tracked one down but it was only very slight. You know the port coming out the block then connects via rubber hose to the stock oil cooler, i missed the quick release clamp on there, it wasn't over the port but managed to get it on.

Yeh i replaced the O ring although the delve that it fits into had a bit of crap in it. I will order a new one anyone anyway, i'm pretty sure its not those pipes as once i got under the right wheel i could see the coolant dripping down the back of the oil pump.

Yeh downpipe, water pump, waiting on the cold air box to be finished off, need a straight air intake but i can get one from jsp. Couple of fans and thats it. Everything is in place for sensors and gauges down the line, the under trays need replacing but its not essential right now.

:chair: Treat it as a gasket! Clean surfaces fawbs! :P :lol: ;)

How hard will it be to replace? On the 4A-GE it couldn't really be more inaccessible lol. :D

Its not too bad, its not in the best place but aslong as you have a 1/4 drive ratchet handle it should be fine. Hardest thing will be getting that !Removed! belt back on.

Best of luck with getting it sorted then mate. :thumbsup:

I have two leaks, the sump and did have a thermostat leak but sorted it it by moving the clamp a little further down the pipe.

Sump has to come off though and be resealed...

(BTW Lee, does the sump have a gasket on the 4A-GE?)

I wondered about that when i put my sump on, i think the 185's had a gasket.

I'll get it done mate don't worry, its not a massive problem cause its not losing too much and the temps are right down compared to what it was like before i took it apart.

nah 185 sumps are metal to metal with RTV sealant in between.

yean pump on its own isnt bad but if its never been separated from the housing then theres a Philips head screw thats a real PITA to undo

Yeh i think everyone always rounds it off, i didnt put it in too tight so hopefully it wont be too bad.

nah 185 sumps are metal to metal with RTV sealant in between.

yean pump on its own isnt bad but if its never been separated from the housing then theres a Philips head screw thats a real PITA to undo

Cheers. :thumbsup:

I'll get right on it in a month. Exams start in 3 weeks. :eek:

hey fawbs, glad to hear you got her up and running with relativley little issues. yeh i am at the stage of picking gauges as well, but was totally shocked when i looked at greddy gauges with the built in warning, £600 for a water temp, oil temp and oil pressure!

SPA gauges all the way, they are about 170 quid but effectively you get 2 guages.

i have boost/ inlet temp , oil press/ oil temp , engine temp/ fuel pressure.

they also have hi/lo warnings built in and you can set the trigger limits.

anim_temp.gif

site here

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links