Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

Right really need help, seemed to have timed it correctly but still as soon as i connect the the te1 and e1 the power seems to go down and it can't seem to be able to keep idling and it dies. I'm really at a loss, don't know what it could be, checked for vacuum hoses, checked the injector plug colours are correct. I have got a video and some pics of the timing marks to upload. The marks on the cam cover look maybe half a tooth out but its the best i could get it to be honest, i've lined the crank mark up looking directly above the timing tab, really don't know whats going on.

Yeh i am just using a bit of wire to connect them

try upping the idle see if it will hold then (adjust the accel cable) or turn the distributor clockwise (as viewed from cap end) a little, should give it some advance and help it idle. then set using gun as normal.

can be a pig sometimes.

ok this is what happened, adjusted the cable for a slightly higher idle, 1000rpm maybe a little more, it held and was able to get her onto the 10deg mark, basically i had to turn the dizzy anti clockwise pretty much fully but once i took the bridge out the ports it died, so now its doing the opposite thing to what it was doing. It must be the timing cause i just can't find anything thats out of place :S I re-connected the lambda thinking this cud help but no difference. If i am critical it might be say a tooth out but only maybe, can one tooth make this much difference, performance yeh it can but making it stall and that? Really struggling now to think of anything, all i can do is re-do the belt again

What about the IAS (Idle Adjusting Screw)? When the 4A-GE comes off choke it dies down and the screw becomes of some use. I slowly adjust it because a 1/4 turn does a lot! ;) It began to idle perfectly but then the radiator burst and sprayed me with boiling coolant.

That won't happen to you though, the radiator bit. ;) :lol:

not got taht on the 3S KP.

one tooth on either cam will have a huge effect. worth checking again.

if your still struggling ill have to try and pop up when i get 5

Right findings for today, really couldn't be ubikd working in the heat again so i took her to work, its great having a hangar with over head gantrys etc its a dream for an engine change.

Anyway i looked at the timing and realised no matter what i did there is no way i could get it as close as it is now so i thought i'd fine tune it with the vernier pulleys. Put about 2 degs advance on both pulleys which lined the marks up perfectly, fired her up, bridged the ports, ran for a few seconds and died :S

I decided to have a look in the cylinders, at the plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap. Had a snap on probe and looked at the top of the piston, just wanted to check that there was no collision with the valves which thankfully there was no signs of. However there was a lot of black crap on the top of the pistons and plugs were very black with soot.

I text lee just to check to if he agreed and decided to change the dizzy and rotor arm as i got these about 1000miles before the engine upgrade but they were not gen toyota. When i put these items on i remember i changed the leads and plugs and she had real trouble starting in the cold mornings. It started straight away but only on 2 cylinders until the other two came to life usually within a minute. So this might be a reason things arent idling the best.

Also i decided to use platinum plugs heat range 7 so im going to switch back to irridium 6's.

Now i fiddled with the accelerator cable nuts to create a slightly higher idle, its quite difficult with the bigger cams with it being a bit lumpy but i reckon i have the idle at somewhere around 850-1100rpm. Put the bridge in over the ports and it was fine, obviously this meant kind of guessing where to put the advance but i'm pretty happy at where it is for the time being as i still need to modify my downpipe, wastegate relocation pipe and screamer.

I must admit it when you rev her she sounds quite beefy and very healthy so it is a bit strange im having problems with the idle when trying to set the base ignition. I dont have the most expert nose for these things and quite frankly im probably talking **** but when you smell the fumes coming out the turbo it doesnt smell too overly rich, smells just right but thats probably <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s just trying to look on the bright side ha

Right videos, first one is of when i connect the two ports together and it dies. I had a search around the forum and the closest thing i found was on the 185's with the knock sensor being broken, can't remember if he was trying to do the timing but he started the car up, ran for 5 seconds then died but when the knock sensor went on mine the engine light came on and it went into safe mode.

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/cloqwise/?action=view&current=08072010058.mp4

The other two are of me messing with the idle and giving it some revs, hasn't got a downpipe on so sounds quite hurrendous and the wastegate is off as like i said we will be making a new relocation plate this week for it. Sorry about the swearing in one of them, i got a blast of exhaust fumes in my face then 10secs later my eyes started killing.

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/cloqwise/?action=view&current=10072010059.mp4

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/cloqwise/?action=view&current=10072010060.mp4

It's not buffering bud, get them on YouTube and post the video in here from there. :)

hold on i'll do it now, &#33;Removed&#33; things

Great! Glad to finally see it idle! :thumbsup:

dw about the swearing, I'm no one to judge, you really wouldn't want to be within hearing range when I hurt myself... :lol:

Awesome work bud.

theres still questions over it though, I mean before when she was stock the throttle was fully shut and she idled fine but now that i think about it i never set the base ignition timing when she was stock so i dont know if it was like this before. Basically when you adjust the throttle cable so there is slack in the cable basically the throttle being fully closed and you bridge the two ports to set the timing it runs for like 5 secs then dies. Obviously increasing the idle cures this and revving her is fine. The question i must ask probably a good one for lee here is how much advance would you likely see at 1000rpm with the te1 and e1 bridged? 15deg? If you have a good idea lee then i can get the base timing close to the 10deg.

When you set the timing shud the mark land on the 10deg mark everytime bang on? Cause mine kind of landed to the right of it slight by like a deg or two, is that normal

Ha i know what u mean mate just a warning in case peoples kids are about.

With the 4A-GE it was 10 degrees advanced @ 800RPM. You cannot set the timing accurately unless she idles smoothly.... :(

But it should only be a few degrees out at most. Just keep fettling and fiddling and you'll get there. That's what I did and it worked fine until the radiator became a whore.

lol, the kids can cover their ears. :lol:

ah right well that helps knowing its the lumpy idle which is to be expected. I will be able to get it close, im sure i can get it on 800rpm or very close i hope. I'll see what i can do tomorrow, atleast i know why the timing jumps about a little

You sorted your rad out? u know what horse power yours is running?

nah I have got my hands on a Fan Switch for free so that's £70 saved but I need another £75 for a rad off eBay. It's cheap but I owe me dad £100 so I'm stuffed for now. :(

The 4A-GE with the MAP Sensor and 7-ribbed block had 127BHP and now that I have a full cat back and filter I am aiming for 135BHP.

I have a new project 4A-GE in the pipeline though which will cost 6k and will get me to 200BHP N/A. :naughty: It starts in august.

Sounds a bit smoother than mine but cant really tell with mine having an open turbo for the time being, nightmare. So this is the block that was in lee's car before he turned it into a monster.

Yeh i know what you mean, ive been so skint sometimes and all i need is like a few bolts or something daft and i cant afford it, so frustration. Ive managed to split up with about 3 girls in the last couple of months aswell, i want to go see them but then its like ahhhhhhhhhh all that really matters is finishing my car and getting it on the road, just want to to do that then i can do all that bf stuff haha

haha dude that's too true about the girls! :lol:

Yeh it's a sweet motor and Lee did have this before the beastification. I want to carry on working with the 4A-GE seeing as there is almost nothing that I don't know about the 16 Valves so it makes sense to build a hefty project around one. :yes:

Next one will have everything replaced, attention to detail is the main focus next time; All bolts being replaced with lighter anodized bolts etc... I am really looking forward to the strip down this august. I reckon it will be about 5 years until the new one is ready do be dropped in. :)

A girlfriend once said to me: "If I gave you the choice between me or your car what would happen?" I said; "Love, your bags would be packed and in the back of the car before breakfast."

I haven't seen her for a while.... :lol2:

Cars been there longer and has cost more blood, sweat, tears and money. Plus it got me a job writing for Toyota Performance Magzine! :yahoo: :D

haha dude that's too true about the girls! laugh.gif

Yeh it's a sweet motor and Lee did have this before the beastification. I want to carry on working with the 4A-GE seeing as there is almost nothing that I don't know about the 16 Valves so it makes sense to build a hefty project around one. yes.gif

Next one will have everything replaced, attention to detail is the main focus next time; All bolts being replaced with lighter anodized bolts etc... I am really looking forward to the strip down this august. I reckon it will be about 5 years until the new one is ready do be dropped in. smile.gif

A girlfriend once said to me: "If I gave you the choice between me or your car what would happen?" I said; "Love, your bags would be packed and in the back of the car before breakfast."

I haven't seen her for a while.... lol.gif

Cars been there longer and has cost more blood, sweat, tears and money. Plus it got me a job writing for Toyota Performance Magzine! yahoo.gifbiggrin.gif

Results for Magzine

Magzine was not found

Did you spell it correctly? Here are some alternatives:

Yes I spelt it wrong. I can't decided what's worse, my typo or the fact you keep following me to point them out... :fear:

Oh and:

:offtopic:

Don't clutter this blokes thread! ;)

Yes I spelt it wrong. I can't decided what's worse, my typo or the fact you keep following me to point them out... fear.gif

It is nearly every other post, so I'm just helping you keep up your literary standards :D

I'll have to remember that one but an ex of mine always used to tell me i love my car too much, i did explain my car will never leave me and never pisses me about (within reason, like now ha).

Yeh i know tons compared to when i got her in 2007, basically fault diagnosis is my weak spot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links