Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

to connect the Battery cables i use one of these .item ref PJ1. gives you the ability to diconnect the Battery in the engine bay too.

How many fuses are you using? I had to run the earth back thru into the cabin and earth mine to one of the seat rail bolts

as long as its a good clean earth with heavey guage cable it should be ok in the boot. some have had to run an earth to the engine block as well though.

with the price of cable id earth in the boot and see how it goes.

Lee when putting an ecu in, does it need extra sensors or does it use the original sensors? Apart from the wideband

Also aj that throttle inlet didnt fit im afraid, it was too small which is a pity cause it was beautifully made and thick enough for tapping.

yeh i was kinda hoping you would say that, the cable was £10 per meter! i have also decided to feed the cable inside the car instead of underneath.

awh thats a shame, you found any others that might fit the bill?

yeah forgot the yanks never got the gen 3 3S-GTE. MR2 turbo one is about your best bet. make sure its a rev3 though.

from what i remember the Hydra uses stock sensors although you will need to replace the MAP sensor with at least a 3 bar one (thats 1 bar atmosphere and 2 bar boost) if you want over 2 bar then you wioll need a 4 bar one. theres plenty of the GM ones on eBay, and they work fine.

dunno. i know i had a 3bar tte sensor cos i wanted to run near 2 bar. not 100% though. plus id imagine that turbo will be happier above 2bar :D

yeah basically atmospheric pressure is 1bar. map sensors inlude this in their rating so a 3 bar mapsensor will read 2 bar boost (2bar boost + the 1 bar of atmospheric)

basically make sure the map sensor you use wis rated at 1 bar over the boost you want to run.

hope that makes sense

Can you use any boost control solenoid with any ecu? Are they universal cause i know you are using the vauxhall solenoid lee

i also would love it over 2bar, probably be to scared to though. couldnt afford another rebuild! this one has cost be at least 5 times what i planned!

fawbs, as far as i am aware this is the case.

Aj what power you want to be running? If you take your turbo over 2bar i reckon you will have some serious power. Yeh my build is a bit more expensive then i thought it would be, i should have really just left the head alone and kept it standard.

As for the ecu i think i;m just going to leave it till last its the only really expensive thing left, that and maybe a down pipe but i may get my downpipe modified for the 4 bolt exhaust on the turbo as i'm going to get the flange for it in america.

yeah should be. most ECUs will have tables that the dyno operator can tweak to set the responce of the valve etc.

seen 2.6 on mine but fuel cut stopped play (good job as i had a pipe on the wastegate come off :blush: want to get it running up there soon but fear 1000cc injectors will be in order

Think someone just sold some 1000's a few weeks ago on the oc :S There is some hks ones on eBay, top feed but i think it would mean changing the fuel rail, even more money :S

i am not sure, was just wanting to go to about 1.8bar, but not sure what bhp that will produce, my thinking is the less boost i run the less likely something is gona go bang! what do you guys think is at risk if you go over 2bar? i aint sure on the capabilities of the crank? also, how about the dif?

The crank is strong so i wouldn't worry too much, sure the diff will wear out quicker depending on how much you boot it but thats just the way it is really. Well i was told once you get over 1.4bar the bhp jump from pressure to pressure u know 1.6, 1.8 starts to curve out a lot, obviously there will still be a decent gap in horse power the higher you take the boost if that makes sense. I'd say take it to 1.6/1.8bar but 2 bar could be where your turbo really comes to life. I'm sure its on the garrett gt28, 1.8bar makes it really come into its own. What ecu you running? Did Forbes take a note of what horsepower you were producing?

Brilliant stuff here Fawbs! I have been reading through for 40 minutes and really glad more people are doing things like this to their Toyotas! There seem to be very few on the corolla side who do their own work, or at least post up what they did. :)

Keep it up mate! :thumbsup:

Another thread to follow!..... :lol:

Cheers mate, i was planning on doing a well documented rebuild but all thats stopping me is these con rod bolts which still havent arrived, contacted the seller so see what that brings. I have 24 things left on the list to get and i can knock about 12 of them off next month nothing too expensive except the ecu.

Aj is running an e-manage ultimate, it's ony just set up for running in. we never even took it on boost during setup so don't have a clue what it was producing

dont forget that you can have two boost settings on most ECU's, so you could run 1.5bar most of the time and 2.0+ for special times. that and boost can be controlled with your right foot.:D

Cheers mate, i was planning on doing a well documented rebuild but all thats stopping me is these con rod bolts which still havent arrived, contacted the seller so see what that brings. I have 24 things left on the list to get and i can knock about 12 of them off next month nothing too expensive except the ecu.

The fact I have nothing else to do means that I get the time to make detailed documents of everything that I do! :P

It does take hours to do it properly and explain what people may encounter specific to that car/engine so I don't blame you. My thread doesn't go so deep into the internals because nothing needed replacing :P but I do what I can like with replacing external parts etc. :)

I kept people updated but then edited all the posts in my thread to give people the extra information they needed once I could be bothered to do it!

Yeh i could have put a lot more info when taking the engine out but this is my first engine build so was trying to concentrate on what lee was telling me and getting the thing out.

Only problem i will have putting it back together will be all the plumbing but with the tvsv system out, throttle body coolant pipes and the charcoal canister removed it should make things easier.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links