Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

No its a single plate very harsh stage 4 clutch. What do you mean about the splines lee?

Haha i'll make sure everything is installed before we attempt it, it was a right pain getting it off, managed to do it with 2 of us. I have the clutch centering tool that should be ok shouldn't it?

Does anyone know which code loctite you are supposed to use with the flywheel bolts? I can't remember the codes think they start with a 6 usually but colourwise at work there is a clear, red, green or a blue.

I used blue aswell, it doesn't take too long to dry, and it doesn't make it that hard to remove the bolts after.

Just put 2/3 small drops on the very end of the thread and screw it in. Do it one by one. It comes in such a small tube but needs so little.

Just thought I'd say, I don't know if you've done it before! :P ;)

No i haven't, makes sense if its blue, we use blue on the brake packs at work so i would imagine its better around heated areas then the others. I'm going to have to place the block against the wall and torque all the bolts, should be fun.

No i haven't, makes sense if its blue, we use blue on the brake packs at work so i would imagine its better around heated areas then the others. I'm going to have to place the block against the wall and torque all the bolts, should be fun.

I got my dad to sit on the block and hold the flywheel while I tightened them. It wasn't too hard, but required good communication between us to know what the other was doing.

Good luck with it all. :)

Got the flywheel bolts all torqued, was a bit of a pain torqueing them 5 times as i had to basically get the block against the wall, put some wood under one side of it and then get it in a wrestling move to keep it steady ha. The clutch is tacked on as i just wanted to check on centering the clutch and if anyone knows what torque setting the pressure plate bolts are torqued to. I looked in the manual but i couldn't find it on the torque sheet.

DSCN0704.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

Again just put the lower sump pan on for some coverage.

Its looking good as the head is ready as i have got all my clearances pretty much all the same and bang on, all i need is a few servicing items like oil, plugs leads etc.

Great Progress, for the service parts I went to Eurocarparts.co.uk I found their service to be brilliant, very reliable, and good delivery times along with amazing prices. :)

Eurocarparts.co.uk

Free delivery for an order over £50 too. :)

Yeh tcb are always nice and friendly and always deliver quickly. Probably have everything next month when i get paid, might get the engine in before vegas then i can give lee back his crane so he can start messing with the rolla.

Yeh tcb are always nice and friendly and always deliver quickly. Probably have everything next month when i get paid, might get the engine in before vegas then i can give lee back his crane so he can start messing with the rolla.

Are you going to have help when mating the gearbox and block again? I only ask because it was incredibly difficult and fiddly with just two people. (Me and my dad) I can explain how I did it if that would help at al. :)

Yeh i have a few of the boyos helping me, 2 of us got it off and that was hard enough so definitely getting more help when shotting it on.

Yeh i have a few of the boyos helping me, 2 of us got it off and that was hard enough so definitely getting more help when shotting it on.

O.k. mate, good luck with the whole operation. I hope it goes smoothly, mine went relatively smoothly with two people including myself and at the cost of four fingers crushed multiples times. :lol: My fingers hurt that night and so did my throat from swearing.....

haha you have no idea the stuff ive said in that garage

lol, my neighbour has an idea of what I said.... we don't talk much these days...

You should have explained you weren't shouting it at him haha

KP if you thought the rolla box was hard never try a GT4 box :lol:

i have spent 3 hrs getting one on before!!!

then again ive done one in 30sec as well

be in and running in a week or two then. what plugs you going for?

im running NGK Iridium grade 7 or 8 can cold foul a tad but soon clear when the engine warms.

KP if you thought the rolla box was hard never try a GT4 box :lol:

i have spent 3 hrs getting one on before!!!

then again ive done one in 30sec as well

be in and running in a week or two then. what plugs you going for?

im running NGK iridium grade 7 or 8 can cold foul a tad but soon clear when the engine warms.

lol, strangely, it was harder to remove the gearbox than to put it back on. The problem with getting it on though was it snagging on the bearing springs all the time. Eventually it just slipped on but after 1 hour I think we deserved it! :lol:

I'm not sure to be honest, my last set of iridiums were terrible, what are platinums like?

Lee's block likes irridiums, after it nearly pulled my head off ha. Mine didn't seem to get on too well with them so i am willing to give something else a go.

Also there is one or two other things i need to make sure of like setting up the timing before the engine goes in. Do you wind 1 and 4 to the top? The camshaft positions aswell, there was a line up mark on the oem camshafts but not on the hks ones i don't think, do you just move them till both positions on the pulleys being 0 are at the 12o'clock position?

Another thing is the front and rear mounts, how do you remove them. Dan told me you have to drill the hell out of the rubber and then do you just knock the collar out? As i want some of these that polish guy on eBay is selling.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYURETHANE-ENGINE-...=item45effe0d3e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYURETHANE-ENGINE-...=item45f07e09b6

Lee is this the throttle body inlet i need? Do you need the mr2 turbo throttle body itself or just this inlet, looking at it i'm not sure the bolt holes will line up on mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-94-SW20...sQ5fAccessories

thats all you need for the throttle body (you will need the bolts too as the lower ones are about 4" long)

never had a prob with iridiums (other than cold fouling)

if your using adjustable cam pulleys then make sure they are set to 0 degrees, then align the marks with the marks on the rocker cover. dont forget to compress and lock off the tensioner before fitting and take car with the bolts as if they strip its helicoil time.

if you have access to an airsaw use that to cut through the inner part of the mount (if you look at it the bush is pressed into the housing) should just about drop out.

they look quite good. better than the other type ive seen. the others didnt have the steel ring on the out side or the fixed centre

Yeh compressed the tensioner in a vice, certainly got some beef behind it. Marks on the rocker cover? are they just drawn on or is there a physical mark? I have painted mine you see and can't seem to see them, just want to check before i pick the paint off.

Yeh i'll have a go at the mounts tomorrow, just going to drill the rubber i think, i'd like to get the harder of the 2 but i dont want so much vibration that it starts rattling my stereo.

on the pressed metal plate bolted to the cover you should see two depressions at the 12 o'clock position. if your still struggling ill see if i have a spare i can take a pic of

I must admit i am still not sure, had a look on the OC but couldn't find any pictures, is it actually on the cover top side? As i have found other marks like on the number 1 bearing caps.

Was i right saying wind 1 and 4 pistons to the top?

1 and 4 to TDC is correct. best pic i can find, its not a 3s but the marks are the same.

timing.gif

fit the belt on the lower pulleys and the put the lower cover on and the crank pulley line the crank up with the TDC mark on the lower cover then align the cam marks and fit the belt over them (exhaust cam first and keep the belt tight) then when its on pull the pin on the tensioner and roate the crank through two full revolutions and re align the crank TDC mark. check the cam marks if it all lines up your done. dont forget the guide washer that sits behind the lower cover and trapped between the crank timing belt pulley and the crank pulley.

also have you primed the oil pump?

I've got you now Lee, didn't have that piece of metal on yet mainly cause i am waiting on one shim still. Did a bit of head work and tacked a few things on

DSCN0709.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links