Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

of course you can, im here all week, have to go to work sunday though.

feel free to pop by anytime. just give us a text when your coming up and ill make sure im in :)

im off till the tenth anyway so wont be till after then, might have to cut the flange out of one of my other pipes cause can't find the adapter flange although i know ive seen it for sale somewhere. I'll smooth all the edges down if i do so its ready to go in.

You want some beveridges for this?

Is it a stainless one you'll be cutting out? Any exhaust shop worth it's salt should have them, only a couple £ each. Stainless exhaust shop that it.

I's stick with the standard lamda for the standard ecu and take it very easy, once you've got the PFC in you'll still theoretically need the narrow band but there is a fair few people say the O2 feedback on the PFC is so bad it's not even worth activating, the joys of old technology

no probs matey, just let us know when your thinking of coming down.

no beverages required ;)

ta da

03012011855.jpg

03012011856.jpg

03012011857.jpg

03012011858.jpg

Lee that picture where my thumb is, is where the O2 sensor flange needs to go, preferrably not over that weld but i will see where i can put it when i have it on the car. I need to get you something for doing this mate, 50 yorkies or even crunchies or a donation towards them wheels?

Just got a Bee*R Rev limiter, i fancied a launched control system which i can fiddle with rather than having to get a laptop on the ecu. You attach one wire to the handbrake which you dont have to put on just pull it enough for the handbrake light to come on which isn't too much which will engage the second rev limit. Was thinking of hooking it up to a different switch but just thinking of where to put it, may stick with handbrake but just wondering. In a group buy for a c-one style undertray aswell.

Problem is if i engage it accidentally, at high revs going for a shift could bang the revs straight down to 4k, i like the idea though just thinking getting it to work safely

could always get a button on the steering wheel. hand brake sounds like a good option tho.

I was thinking of a button on the wheel but would probably mean rivetting a buttom onto my wheel as i've just got a momo wheel. I've just got a mondeo mk3 power steering cooler aswell, its just a tube so it will be quite easy to place it somewhere.

With the handbrake it means tweeking it till the light is on then going for the gear stick so might keep it like that.

Going up to lee's on saturday to make some changes to the pipe, going to get a turbo oil return pipe on the way. Going to get it in two bits with an adapter block in between them, so i can now have the pressure sensor on the feed pipe and the oil temp on the return.

Then after that i can safely say, its done, i think :lol:

Just have to wait for my wheels to turn up, need a windscreen as mine is cracked but will get that off the insurance. I can drive it round base though. If its ok with you lee once i have it taxed and everything just want to bring it up to you for a look over and i'd rather you check the timing.

If you have it on the clutch pedal and you hit it at high rev's it'd just act like a basic flat shift :thumbsup: allowing you to keep the go pedal buried

Yeh but because you have the normal rev limiter working so i can cap the revs to 7k. The second one is engaged for launch control so i will set it at 4k? 4.5k? So if i hit the switch to engage the 4k limit won't it suddenly dive for the 4k limit? It should act like a flat shift just on the normal limit.

id be happy to have a look over it for yo and set the timing up., if teh two is road worthy could go for a bit of a drive, put some miles on it for ya :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will be in, only bad thing about doing the timing is taking the hyd tensioner off and on :S

Sounds good to me, Nurburgring it is :lol:

haha I still smile when I think about how much you have done to this, I've been following for ages lol.

Is it anti-lag or turbo timers that eat turbos?

Anti-lag.

Flat shift is a low rev limiter, basically so you don't rev it out when you take the strain off of the engine so it dropping to 4/4.5k during clutch depression is more than acceptable as it'll go back to the 7k limit when you take your foot off of the clutch

antilag is good for shows but not good for turbos, bar and a half of boost on the line and 6 foot flames from the exhaust lol

Right what a crap day i've had, yesterday i got back and did 8hours on the car, finished at 1:30am and i couldn't feel my right hand due to the cold. Anyway was supposed to go to lee's today but guess what, so tit had the keys to the compound where my car is, of all the days! So i thought right i'll go to grantham and get my turbo oil return pipe but got there, was closed :S things were really going well today. Anyway managed to get the keys around 7pm, didn't find the guy but dont care atleast i could go do some work.

After the **** start i started cracking on with things, starting to notice there's loads of little jobs to do on the car, keep bouncing from job to job. Oh i suppose i should mention that pipe doesn't quite line up with my exhaust its close i must say, i did kinda of half expect this as the lad had it connected to a 2.5" exhaust and mine is a 3" but i thought it would line up still anyway.

So i started to think about chopping the pipe but i thought ubik it i'll go back to the drawing board on my pipe, the top half has been tacked on and i decided this was half the problem as i couldn't change the angle of the top to line it up better with the bottom. Anyway long story short, i've DONE IT :yahoo: its in 3 pieces but it all lines up, its not the greatest design but i'm going to put a supporting bracket from the block to the pipe which will work a treat, been well motivated for all this as i haven't even unpacked any of my bads just been up there all the time plus the heating is broke in my block and the hot water doesn't work. Anyway because the top wasn;t tacked on it kept coming off and i kept banging (tapping) my head torch against things and it kept going off, needless to say i lost my temper a few times with it. Once ben is over there he will have to hold the top so i can put some marks on it all to line it all up. Only thing is that i will start have to relocate the O2 sensor as one of the studs hands right over the flange and i won't be able to get the nut on unless i grind a bit of it away. Was thinking of just welding that one up and putting another flange just below it.

Turbo oil return pipe, i love pearsons hydraulics in grantham, its such a goldmine and just has everything.

10012011876.jpg

10012011877.jpg

dang dude sounds like you had the same sort of day i did on Saturday.

i went to st anns on sea (right near Blackpool) to fetch an avensis for my old man, 2001 gs tourer 1.8, smoky engine £275.

its got sat nav as well. only thing it needs is a rebuild.

so we got up there ok, up the motorways no prob. collected the car and yes it smokes but when cruising its ok. my satnav took me down th M6, then directed me through Buxton via the cat and fiddle pass!!!!, not good in a car that burns loads of oil on the overrun!!.

should have been home for 1 finally got in about half two, had a mate coming over to have his CEL reset and another guy picking my manifold, adapter and wastegate up, all of whome were waiting for me

no probs matey get us some pics of the downpipe and pop over when you can and ill get it TIG'd up for ya

I will, what i'm going to have to do is blue tack the top half on to keep it in position then i will have to either try and hold the bottom and the middle and draw the lining up marks, i might try build some support underneathe the bottom but it never stays still. Ben is on nights so he can't help i'm and quite frankly he burned a hole in part the pipe when we tacked it before that i have blended out now.

I just told myself i'm not leaving this garage until i've smoothed some of the mating surfaces out and lined this pipe up. They aren't perfect but won't matter once welded, starting to think i was better off doing this myself in the first place.

Just waiting on a load of parts to come and i will head up there for a good session. Now that i have a new oil return i can start her up, i'll attach the pipe i got off jamzee and see if the bee*r works ok, should see some good flames and she needs a warm up too, hasn't been started in a while, i'll have to hold back cause i will be like a kid if there's some good bangs :(.

I may have a very slight leak around the black hose from the OEM oil cooler and i say slight as there's no drips underneathe the car just one or two beads of coolant running down here and there. Will only have to take alternator and belt off to investigate so easy job, it may just be coolant i have spilled.

Was your dad in the mechanics trade? Has the tourer got 4 headlights?

Haha you are too busy in this modifying scene lee, i'm sure they understood. Did you put the engine back in?

haha i hear ya :lol:

my dad was on the spanners some years ago, still does bits but lets me do most of it.

yeah its the MK1 avensis facelift. looking round it a bit more today, its a tidy motor underneath, just needs a good clean, oh and an engine rebuild lol.

nah engine is still on the stand. im off for four from Thursday so ill have another bash then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJXgMNH83I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVrDqvbfqmo

I'm sorry guys i just couldn't stop doing it ha

Right so hooked everything up tonight bar the exhaust. I didn't hook the oil temp up yet but the water temp, oil press and boost were hooked up, only the water temp worked might just shot these gauges as i'm sure i've connected it all right.

THought i had ****** up the bee*r up aswell as there was no red light or owt on start up so i thought **** great, then gave it some revs and it sprung to life. Seriously those videos don't do it justice the bangs were loud as ubik.

Anyway post multiple runs i checked for any leaks, one of the braided hoses on the return line is very slightly leaking, hardly anything is coming out but going to take it back and get it replaced its leaking where the braided line gets crimp to the fitting if you know what i mean.

Put the down pipe on but didn't bolt it up as i wanted to see what was happening staight out the turbo, curiousity. Just used it to channel the bangs ha

Well it's safe to say I'm takin no responsibility for the longevity of your engine after tuning now lol.

Good to hear it running mate