Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Facelift Aygo Or Old Skool?

adilmon

Ok, after trying to ignore the fact I own an older Aygo, I asked myself, as a buyer, which shape would I prefer?

The result was that I think the new Aygo borrows too much from VW styling cues. The rear lights look like some one had broken off the red rear lenses and looses some of the designed integration with the C pillar.

The overall result being less exciting front end and chavvy rear end.

The design on the fan controls seems to have been tweaked by an ex lego employee, but I'm undecided on how I feel about that

Ok, after trying to ignore the fact I own an older Aygo, I asked myself, as a buyer, which shape would I prefer?

The result was that I think the new Aygo borrows too much from VW styling cues. The rear lights look like some one had broken off the red rear lenses and looses some of the designed integration with the C pillar.

The overall result being less exciting front end and chavvy rear end.

The design on the fan controls seems to have been tweaked by an ex lego employee, but I'm undecided on how I feel about that

I own an old shape one too so it is hard not the be biased but I prefer the old one too. The frontal change is not too bad, though not sure why they did it, giving it a bigger nose perhaps gives it more presence, but I am not keen on the rear tail-lights with their silver rings, bit too Halfords for me. Quite a lot of the Japanese are doing this now, Mazda 3 and Subaru Impreza. However I am not too keen on my rear lights either, would have preferred them smoke like the old Tigra

tigraosr.jpg

P reg and has aged very well I think !

Regards

Andy

PS To all the new owners I still think the new shape is better than the 107 or C1 in my eyes, please don't throw me into the fiery pits of hell... :)

I like the old look, the front is cuter and combined with front spats, is more agressive. But I still don't know if I like the new tailights or the old+tinting...

Old Skool Rules ! At least as far as the Black is concerned. The new front looks too heavy and the light clusters too bling. Seems to work better on the other colours though.

I don't like the new rear light cluster on the new shape... just not keen on the chrome surrounds. I do however like the new blue colour for the Aygo Blue. Little bit brighter than the Lagoon Blue....

I still prefer mine though! ;) I wouldn't upgrade to a facelift Aygo personally,

Old skool for me, don't like the new rear lights and have still to see one with the new front fogs .I'll have to win the lottery :huh: before its replaced :mellow:

I've had the front fogs - finishes the car off well!

My mums got the older aygo - i've compared the two and the older one looks "dull" in comparision.

What have they done to the fan controls?

Controls are the same, but the printed bits are different.

The "old" print had bars with horizontal stripes to indicate the positions,

on "new" cars these bars have been replaced with little ovals.

The gradient next to those indicators is more coars on the new ones too...

Is the interior different?

There's a new cloth for the upholstery, but that's it AFAICS...

Its got to be old school for me, the new one isnt agressive looking enough for me, but that said I do like the Aygo and when I change I will give it serious consideration.

Has the new engine been a little de-tuned? It emits less CO2 after all.

Paul.

To be honest I didn't spot any major difference except the front fog lights and rear lights.. I like new front fog lights but I don't like new rear lights.. so 50/50 for me.

Paul.

No, it's the same, they have done some things to make it more efficient though I am not sure what it is. According to the Toyota website :-

"Reduced weight, lower internal friction, optimised valve control and greater rigidity are just a few of the improvements present in Toyota Optimal Drive engines. These innovations are applied differently across each model, but every engine offers a significant boost in terms of fuel economy and emissions, without sacrifice in power."

However for the Aygo they also now recommend a lot lighter oil, so it makes you wonder if that's all they have done ;) considering the engine is also used for Pug and C1 and not even a Toyota unit. Also, how keen they are to reduce costs.

So, perhaps you can just stick in some Mobil 1 0/40W and have something even better?

Regsards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like either.....

:lol:

Get out of the Aygo forums! :lol:

I prefer the new Aygo, and not just because I've got one, but because I love the new shape of the front bumper - I think it makes it look cuter and sportier.

I also love the chrome detailing on the rear lights, I don't think it looks chavvy at all.

Paul.

No, it's the same, they have done some things to make it more efficient though I am not sure what it is. According to the Toyota website :-

"Reduced weight, lower internal friction, optimised valve control and greater rigidity are just a few of the improvements present in Toyota Optimal Drive engines. These innovations are applied differently across each model, but every engine offers a significant boost in terms of fuel economy and emissions, without sacrifice in power."

However for the Aygo they also now recommend a lot lighter oil, so it makes you wonder if that's all they have done ;) considering the engine is also used for Pug and C1 and not even a Toyota unit. Also, how keen they are to reduce costs.

So, perhaps you can just stick in some Mobil 1 0/40W and have something even better?

Regsards

Andy

There is a full writeup on '09 mods to the Aygo. --- 0W20 engine oil;-- light gear oil;-- New pedal-box with switches, so injectors stop fuelling the engine while you are changing gear;-- quiet-running rubber-mounted pulley on the auxilliaries belt;--anti-drumming bitumastic pads under the front floor-wells, and in A-pillars, and C-pillars. I expect the clutch and exhaust are improved. (search the Aygo site for the actual posting).

P.S. It IS actually a Toyota engine, and it was tested in the Diahatsu Sirion, first, and is still used there, and in the Subaru Justy clone, and the Perodua Myvi uses a Toyota Yaris 1.3 engine, as fitted to one of the larger Sirion's, which also has the option of a 1.5 Toyota engine. I don't think any of these other cars use the slick Aygo gearbox.

I like the look of my 'facelifted' Aygo . . . . but it was seeing the previous one last year that that got me thinking about buying one in the first place. . . so you could say I like both. Better get off the fence before I get splinters! :rolleyes:

Gonna go with 'new' one :thumbsup:

I have an "old" Aygo (exaclty 3 years of ownership tomorrow) and at first I didn't like the

new ones. But now I've grown to like the front end, but I absolutely dislike the new taillights.

I don't find 'em ugly, but I like the red ones on mine much more...

I prefer the new one but it is very colour dependent.

In black and blue it's new one (Looks nicer at the front and smiling) but any other colour I prefer the old one as it looks cuter and more resolved. THis is really rue with the lighter colours e.g. Silver, that light blue they do not do anymore etc.

We have a 'facelift' AYGO. We had decided to buy an AYGO long before the facelift occurred. So it didn't matter to us which one it was.

Lets be honest there is vitually no difference between them. Its like identical twins, theres always one thats slightly better looking.

What I would say is that both 'old' and 'new' both look great.

It seems a little odd to me that AYGO enthusiasts would post such negative remarks about the new AYGO, when after all, they are all but identical.

We have a 'facelift' AYGO. We had decided to buy an AYGO long before the facelift occurred. So it didn't matter to us which one it was.

Lets be honest there is vitually no difference between them. Its like identical twins, theres always one thats slightly better looking.

What I would say is that both 'old' and 'new' both look great.

It seems a little odd to me that AYGO enthusiasts would post such negative remarks about the new AYGO, when after all, they are all but identical.

Not quite Vic. The new Aygo has new styling cues such as new bumpers, new tail lights, and new fabrics for the inside upholstery.

Mechanically the new Aygo has better insulation, and new engine mounts to stop vibration - so, tthey are not identical.

As like all cars, sooner or later there wil be a Phase 3 model Aygo in the next few years, and they will improve agin what was wrong with the first 2 phases. I used to drivbe a Phase 1 Peugeot 106, and then bought a Phase 2, and I tell you the differenc which was the better one. I swaer - they werent identical. The new one was a vast improvement. :toast::thumbsup:

Not quite Vic. The new Aygo has new styling cues such as new bumpers, new tail lights, and new fabrics for the inside upholstery.

Mechanically the new Aygo has better insulation, and new engine mounts to stop vibration - so, tthey are not identical.

As like all cars, sooner or later there wil be a Phase 3 model Aygo in the next few years, and they will improve agin what was wrong with the first 2 phases. I used to drivbe a Phase 1 Peugeot 106, and then bought a Phase 2, and I tell you the differenc which was the better one. I swaer - they werent identical. The new one was a vast improvement. :toast::thumbsup:

Tis true. New facelifted Aygo tends to be less leaky too which is good news for my little seats and carpet.

Pre-facelift used to leak whenever anyone did this near the door sills > :drool:

Hopefully the new phase 3 or Mk2 version of the Aygo will be available in more colours and maintains it's charm unlike the little Ford KA which lost it all when it was eventually replaced.

Pre-facelift used to leak whenever anyone did this near the door sills > :drool:

Not all of them did, they sorted it out before the facelift occurred in the main, mine doesn't for instance.

The rear tail lights on the new one still make you look like a chav though :)

chav.jpg

Personally I'd rather have my old style one and not look like a driver who drinks cider out of plastic bottles outsides Halfords .

:lol:

Regards

Andy