Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Compressor Or Focus St? Which One?

chani

Hi everyone,

Im going to be getting a new car in the next month or two, Ive been looking at both focus ST's and corolla compressors since i already have a corolla (1.4) as im only 20. Ive test driven the ST and its got so much torque except i know a 2nd hand one will have loads of reliability problems however i know toyotas are bulletproof, ive already had advice from toweylowey so cheers, any other advice wud be great. also does anyone know the difference in speed between the two since the ST has an extra 9/10bhp? if anyones driven/owned both?

Cheers guy.....

A standard T sport can just about keep up with a ST from a standstill but the ST pulls away quite a lot from a rolling start when the T Sport isnt near lift! I should imagine the compressor would probably be slightly quicker from a standstill but think the ST would still pull away with ease from a rolling start/out of a slow bend. You need to weigh up the options

imo the pros for the compressor are

Exclusivity only 250 in the country

Cheaper to buy than the ST

Think its cheaper insurance group, will have a look in a mo!

Most people know nothing about them so there is the element of surprise when you kick thier botties.

Cons

Probably not as reliable as you think, problems with exhaust, supercharger and clutch

Think the supercharger will be more thirsty than a Turbo, once again will check this!

Pros for focus

More desirable(for most) so better resale values!

Better chassis/suspension

Loads of torque

Cons

Image the rozzers will be all over you

You might buy a orange one :lol:

Fords reputation for not being that reliable, although i have had more problems with my 2 T sports than any vauxhall or ford, but i do love my T sport more than any other car i have owned!

End of the day only you can decide but for me it would all boil down to how much i had to spend! Under 10k the compressor over 12K the ST .

A standard T sport can just about keep up with a ST from a standstill but the ST pulls away quite a lot from a rolling start when the T Sport isnt near lift! I should imagine the compressor would probably be slightly quicker from a standstill but think the ST would still pull away with ease from a rolling start/out of a slow bend. You need to weigh up the options

Most people know nothing about them so there is the element of surprise when you kick thier botties.

Cons

Probably not as reliable as you think, problems with exhaust, supercharger and clutch

Think the supercharger will be more thirsty than a Turbo, once again will check this!

Pros for focus

Loads of torque

Cons

Fords reputation for not being that reliable, although i have had more problems with my 2 T sports than any vauxhall or ford, but i do love my T sport more than any other car i have owned!

End of the day only you can decide but for me it would all boil down to how much i had to spend! Under 10k the compressor over 12K the ST .

Just checked parkers

States 30 mpg for both but still think the supercharger will be the thirstiest when booting them

Compressor group insurance 16 and ST 17 so compressor slightly cheaper to insure

Both same tax band

haha take it u dont like the orange ones cause i was considering getting an orange ST. yeah ive heard that the exhausts can have problems if not run on v-power or equivalent. i can get insured for just under a grand on the ST so id imagine the compressor will be slightly cheaper. thanks for your opinion though i just think the compressors much better value for money and the ST's are over-priced for what they are.

Cons

Pros for focus

Loads of torque

Cons

buy a compressor and slap on the SP upgrade (which will prob be cheaper than buying a standard ST) and the st will never knew what flew past them!

buy a compressor and slap on the SP upgrade (which will prob be cheaper than buying a standard ST) and the st will never knew what flew past them!

I thought the SP kit was no longer available? I understood they only had a limited number up there and they sold out pretty quick!

However I might be wrong :unsure:

I thought the SP kit was no longer available? I understood they only had a limited number up there and they sold out pretty quick!

I believe SP hav only got 1 more supercharger left for n e Tsport owners who r interested, but as for the intercooler/ Pulley upgrade, they will always hav in stock. Id say really worth investing as me and Kangzy hav got the kit fitted into our cars.

I believe SP hav only got 1 more supercharger left for n e Tsport owners who r interested, but as for the intercooler/ Pulley upgrade, they will always hav in stock. Id say really worth investing as me and Kangzy hav got the kit fitted into our cars.

This is all true, its the supercharger thats hard to get hold of, so if you get the compressor, your sorted! What does the sp kit run at? is it about 260bhp, bet they are right beasts. I do think the compressor is better value for money.

tbh i recon a compressor should whoop an st...

i gain ground on the new volvo c30 t5 which i believe is the same engine as the focus st? and im only in a tsport :o

This is all true, its the supercharger thats hard to get hold of, so if you get the compressor, your sorted! What does the sp kit run at? is it about 260bhp, bet they are right beasts. I do think the compressor is better value for money.

no where near buddy only about 230+ but you have to rem most compressors dont dyno at 215bhp

no where near buddy only about 230+ but you have to rem most compressors dont dyno at 215bhp

however saying that with the new orgura pulleys that 260bhp should be the ball park figure

the t-sports must be a lot quicker than i thought cause aparently the volvo c30 does 0-60 in 6.5 which does use the same ST turbo charged engine and if u can gain ground on one, ur corolla must be fast!

To Kangzy or ckman85, are your corollas standard t-sports with the full SP kit on inc SP supercharger? because do u think itll be worth it getting the pulleys, intercooler, ignition etc changed by SP onto a corolla compressor? or anyone else have any idea? Ive emailed SP to see how much itd be anyway guess its considerably cheaper since i wont need a supercharger

For easier modifying and bigger gains take the ST, its a turbo and you will yield more power for less money. Generally stock for stock a t-sport can keep with a ST, Standard compressors are also very similar to the standard t-sports its only after around 90-100 the compressors will start to pull away.

An SP upgrade is ideal to get the power but if you are looking into modifying and getting more power the ST will cost less and give better results.

One thought to remember is the more thats put on the more the car weighs, The corolla compressor weighs nearly 1280kg, Standard T-sport weighs in around 1210kg

i think the ST Is around 1392kg

thats why a standard t-sport can keep with a stock ST because of the power to weight.

If you remap the ST or go for upgrades obviously the extra power will cut off the heavy weight making it faster, If you want something different and want to do the SP upgrade then a corolla compressor will eat a standard focus st.

the t-sports must be a lot quicker than i thought cause aparently the volvo c30 does 0-60 in 6.5 which does use the same ST turbo charged engine and if u can gain ground on one, ur corolla must be fast!

To Kangzy or ckman85, are your corollas standard t-sports with the full SP kit on inc SP supercharger? because do u think itll be worth it getting the pulleys, intercooler, ignition etc changed by SP onto a corolla compressor? or anyone else have any idea? Ive emailed SP to see how much itd be anyway guess its considerably cheaper since i wont need a supercharger

The T Spot is much quicker than its given credit for! it keeps up with most and pulls away from some of the 6.5 secs 0-62 hot hatches! Just goes to show 0-62 times are not worth that much. :thumbsup:

The ST is more GT than hot hatch IMO, i say this because its got a big lazy engine and is refined and comfy. The Corolla is lighter and noisier!

I think the Focus is a superior car to drive but, the image has gone like the CTR and you have to deal with Ford dealers who are to busy and don’t give a monkeys about your car. They are also very common now, i would rather own a CTS-C.

ckman85 was a tsport with the sp conversion bolt on (inc the tte supercharger)

mine was a compressor with the sp conversion bolt on!

as farhan said for more bang for buck the st will give you more BHP per £!