Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Compressor Info...

SRi_T

Hi, first of all I am new to this forum - how you doing I'm Lee.

I don't own a Toyota as of yet but I have really been looking into the Corolla Compressor. I have read all the reviews that I can find and gone through the spec etc, and there is something about this car that really appeals to me (the limited number on the road, the supercharger, different to the rest etc).

There are a few things that worry me though, and hopefully am in the right place to speak to some owners. Alot of the reviews that I have read seem to put the Compressor down in various departments so I just wanted to know what people think of it?

Is there any reliability issues?

Whats the handling really like?

Are there many performance upgrades availible what with it being limited eds?

How does it really compare to other hot hatches in its class?

Why are there so many with low mileage?

Any other pros/cons on the car.

Obviously the above info is in most of the reviews I have read, but I just wanted to get the views of people who drive/have driven the car regularly before.

Thank you in advance.

Lee

handling is poor compared to the competition especially the CTR. it is well specced and comfortable but has a severe drink problem if you put your foot down.

the only reliability issue which was fixed by that time was the lift bolts and also the gearbox can be notchy.

Hi, first of all I am new to this forum - how you doing I'm Lee.

I don't own a Toyota as of yet but I have really been looking into the Corolla Compressor. I have read all the reviews that I can find and gone through the spec etc, and there is something about this car that really appeals to me (the limited number on the road, the supercharger, different to the rest etc).

There are a few things that worry me though, and hopefully am in the right place to speak to some owners. Alot of the reviews that I have read seem to put the Compressor down in various departments so I just wanted to know what people think of it?

Is there any reliability issues? none that ive had so far (Praise God)

Whats the handling really like? handling on the standard setup is quite soft and it does roll despite the extra strut braces

Are there many performance upgrades availible what with it being limited eds? yes the SP upgrade (look at my siggy)

How does it really compare to other hot hatches in its class? as standard it not as hardcore as other hot hatches but i think from what i rem before i started to modify it it was a limited edition comfortable drive with smooth power dilivery. and can easily keep up with the best of them. Besides if you want to make it a abit more agressive you can always start modifying

Why are there so many with low mileage? Dont know

Any other pros/cons on the car.? doesnt drink as much petrol as you think but it only runs on super unleaded and that is very pricey. only other con i can think of is that youll get alot of ppl stare an gaze at your car trying to find out what model it actually is.. and most of the time they havent got the clue especially if you debadge it like CKman85

Obviously the above info is in most of the reviews I have read, but I just wanted to get the views of people who drive/have driven the car regularly before.

Thank you in advance.

Lee

Is there any reliability issues? none that ive had so far (Praise God)

Whats the handling really like? handling on the standard setup is quite soft and it does roll despite the extra strut braces

Are there many performance upgrades availible what with it being limited eds? yes the SP upgrade (look at my siggy or CKman85 profile)

How does it really compare to other hot hatches in its class? standard it not as "hardcore" as other hot hatches out there but it was a limited edition comfortable daily drive that can easily keep up with the best of them. Besides if you want to make it a abit more agressive you can alway start to modify

Why are there so many with low mileage? Dont know

Any other pros/cons on the car.? doesnt drink as much petrol as you may think but it only runs on super unleaded and that is very pricey. Lob- sided exhaust. Other con i can think of is that youll get alot of ppl stare and gaze at your car trying to work out what model it actually is.. and most of the time they havent got the clue especially if you debadge it like CKman85

Thank you for your replies. So the only real 'con' that I can see is the handling, and everything else seems fairly minor. Has anyone made any modifications to improve their handling?

I like cars that are a little bit different to the ctr's and gti's that you see every day, and i like cars that can be easily 'improved' just incase you feel like you need a bit more power once the novelty of having a new car has worn off if you get me? So the compressor seems like a good option.

Thank you for your replies. So the only real 'con' that I can see is the handling, and everything else seems fairly minor. Has anyone made any modifications to improve their handling?

I like cars that are a little bit different to the ctr's and gti's that you see every day, and i like cars that can be easily 'improved' just incase you feel like you need a bit more power once the novelty of having a new car has worn off if you get me? So the compressor seems like a good option.

mate, i'll be honest, from what i've heard on this forum and others, there can very little gains achieved with any mods to the cts-c, the engines don't seem to like being tampered with - i know a few people on here could testify that a K&N won't even help, except for to make the supercharger whine a bit more. in my personal opinion, the compressor is great for the surprise element on other unsuspecting drivers and also the fact that it's a bit more 'rarer' than a good lot of other cars in the same category. if you want a car that can take a major power hike after you're bored with it, maybe a golf gti would be up your street - i've heard of some of them being able to jump from 200bhp to 270bhp with no problems, or maybe even a focus st with the mountune upgrade, but basically the compressor 2zzge engine wouldn't be high up on any tuner's wish list.

your having a laugh right? theres tones that can be done to the car.... only if your willing to do the background work first and pay the prices, its not going to be cheap but it will be fun.... the 2zz-ge is a great engine and in charged form its damn good. Just look at the exige s. play with the pulley's, get an IC and its all go! yes getting parts can be a pain but theres plenty going on with the engines in the states so things can be bought from there and shipped over.

the stock air box is restrictive as hell just look at the gains on a normal t sport to see that changing it has a massive effect. so its going to do more than nothing on a compressor.

handling can be sorted dead easy so if thats your only concern then go for it.

but thing is, the tte charger is a much smaller charger compared to that of the lotus....its smaller than both blitz and greddy. The greddy doesnt even come with a front mount and it can get more gains from just bolting on. Also there are pulley upgrades now available on the greddy kit.

In the UK...dont forget customs its not far cheaper....when ever you are going to order to america its going to work out the same after shipping and tax. The OP Wants an honest opinion and for the price you pay for the upgrades you will not see the same power. its not set up unlessyou can set it up. We need standalone engine management, The celica has a better ecu than us with the option of a straight upgrade.

I have yet to see a standalone fitted into a compressor....its a mission getting one on the corolla t-sport ecu .....i would hate to think how youd get it onto a compressor ecu. After that you will see more gains from the tte unit but how commited will the OP be to putting that much money in.

ok, fair enough, there probably is a lot you can get done with the engine - if you're willing to go through the hassle - and i know some people on here have probably sacrificed a fair few quid for not a lot of extra power. the point is that it isn't as easy to gain a lot more power over stock with the compressor than it is with the likes of a golf gti/leon cupra or a focus st. so if it's easy access to more power that you're looking for, i'd say a compressor wouldn't be my first choice...

hi there lee,i just got back from north devon and the compressor took just over half a tank of petrol from m/side to barnstable all m/way / a roads so petrol is'nt a factor.you have a message. :thumbsup:

Ok so theres a few mixed views there on the performance upgrade side of things, but It sounds like people are trying to say - yes you can get more power from this car, but it depends how much you are willing to spend. Thats cool though, if its a good car, and its a keeper then its worth spending the money. As I said before, Im not after the typical Gti's, type r's, cupras etc, need something a little different that ticks all my boxes. The compressor is looking good so far. Cheers again everyone.

Ok so theres a few mixed views there on the performance upgrade side of things, but It sounds like people are trying to say - yes you can get more power from this car, but it depends how much you are willing to spend. Thats cool though, if its a good car, and its a keeper then its worth spending the money. As I said before, Im not after the typical Gti's, type r's, cupras etc, need something a little different that ticks all my boxes. The compressor is looking good so far. Cheers again everyone.

good luck friend, keep us posted on how you get on...

• 4 years later...

hi my first time on I have a tte compressor for sale 29,000 miles it was pre registered by Toyota and I have had the car since january 2007 full service history.