Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticking Front Brake Piston/caliper - Celica 2002

steveruss

Hi

I have a 2002 Gen 7 140 Celica approx with approx 80,000 miles on the clock, approx 2 years ago I had new brake discs and pads fitted. Around three months ago the drivers side brake caliper seized slightly, I could still drive the car, but enough to make the wheel/disc hot and cause excessive break dust, the car would also still free wheel when on a slight incline. When I took in for a check up, they said that the caliper was sticking and the brake piston had seized, they freed and lubricated the pistons and the car was fine, 3 months later the same think has happened.

Do you think I need new pistons, calipers, discs, lines etc? or should I just have it freed again? Money is as always tight, be good to hear you thoughts.

I drive the car approx 12,000 miles a year although not frequently, some times the car doesn’t get used for 2-3 days in a week.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Hi

I have a 2002 Gen 7 140 Celica approx with approx 80,000 miles on the clock, approx 2 years ago I had new brake discs and pads fitted. Around three months ago the drivers side brake caliper seized slightly, I could still drive the car, but enough to make the wheel/disc hot and cause excessive break dust, the car would also still free wheel when on a slight incline. When I took in for a check up, they said that the caliper was sticking and the brake piston had seized, they freed and lubricated the pistons and the car was fine, 3 months later the same think has happened.

Do you think I need new pistons, calipers, discs, lines etc? or should I just have it freed again? Money is as always tight, be good to hear you thoughts.

I drive the car approx 12,000 miles a year although not frequently, some times the car doesn’t get used for 2-3 days in a week.

Thanks in advance, Steve

I just had a sticking caliper on my 94 gen6 mate, if its happened chances are its gonna happen again sooner rather than later. probs looking at needing a new caliper. if it heats really bad then the disk will warp and need replacing. obviously its eating away at your pads so they'd need renewing so if moneys tight i'd advise you put some pennies aside for a caliper.

for mine i think i could find them for approx £60-100 so maybe expect the same.

or you can exchange your caliper for a reconditioned one, see this post http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=101201 and the advice GT4booster gave me

hope this helps a bit

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links