Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow-bar Wiring. By-pass Relay Or Not.

Beagh1958

To any interested parties.

I have just fitted a Witter tow-bar to a 2003 MK11 (T25 model, registered Aug 2003) Avensis D4D. Can any of you Toyota-Techs or people fitting tow-bars for a living tell me for certain if above model requires a 7-way by-pass relay or not. Car is being used to tow Ivor Williams trailer only with a tail board with stop/tail & indicator lights only, no caravans.

Regards, Beagh.

To any interested parties.

I have just fitted a Witter tow-bar to a 2003 MK11 (T25 model, registered Aug 2003) Avensis D4D. Can any of you Toyota-Techs or people fitting tow-bars for a living tell me for certain if above model requires a 7-way by-pass relay or not. Car is being used to tow Ivor Williams trailer only with a tail board with stop/tail & indicator lights only, no caravans.

Regards, Beagh.

A 7 way bypass costs buttons, so I'd fit it. I've just took delivery of a new T27 T4 and paid the £100 for the specific 13pin socket, was an absolute pig to fit and my tow bar fitter swore he won't fir another vehicle specific kit again, but we had a stereo failure on a new Avensis within weeks and they blamed?, you guess.....................

The tow bar wiring :eek:

So I had the bar and electrics fitted, but only cos it's new and in warranty and a lease car.

To Geordie Mick in Wigan.

Should have come back with answer on this one myself, but thank you for responce anyway. The 1st MK11 model such as mine does not have multi voltage wiring to rear lighting or bulb failure system as in pulse wiring, so technically does not need the 7 - way bypass relay. But as you said, it cannot do harm to fit one, around my abode everything is a complete & utter rip-off. The bar i fitted used all the fitting points supplied via Toyota, so was a doddle to fit, only trouble i had was dropping rear silencer for removel of heatshield without breaking heatshield mounting points.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Don't take the above as gospel, as suggested by GEORDIE MICK it's good practice to fit relay & later cars may well require one. So double check before

fitment.