Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Oil And Gearbox Oil Change

Captain_hook12

fellas, with my T3, i have noticed recently a small metal frictional noise when i press the clutch and change gear, i am quite sure an oil change will sort this out (as title suggested), but i am not sure how much this would cost with Toyota dealership, or would anyone recommend to go for private garage.

another thing is i am not sure if i go for Toyota dealers, would they insist on a car service? my T3 is not due for a service until another 5k miles, and i originally plan to do the service and MOT together early next year, but in this case, should i go for a early servicer? Cheers B)

its hard to tell what the noise is without actually hearing it, how many miles has the car done,it might not be the gearbox ,but the clutch

Toyota wont insist on giving the car a service unless its due one, even then its up to you when you want it serviced they cant insist it being done

im not sure on the costs but if you do a search there is a guide to doing the g/box oil yourself with a few basic tools, should save a few quid.

thanks car has done 37k, i never had any mechanical issues with the car in the past, and the noise does not sound like anything major, a bit like when you gently rub two pieces of metal plate together, but barely noticeable with the radio on.

just spoke to local toyota dealer, they quoted £59.99 for clutch oil change, and £99.99 for gearbox oil change, a bit expensive for a gear oil change i think!

Further update: just visited Toyota dealership, the technician decided to top up brake fluid for free, must buy some lottery later, quite nice of Toyota!

but the guy said the front the brake pads needs to be changed, which would cost £130, on toyota's website, they have something called fixed price parts, which only costs £85, when i questioned that, the guy explained £85 parts are not quite Toyota parts, but was made by a company contracted with Toyota, the £130 are genuine, there is always a catch.

anyway, i also plan a 20k full service, which would cost £300, with the pads, big spending ahead!!!

but the guy said the front the brake pads needs to be changed, which would cost £130, on toyota's website, they have something called fixed price parts, which only costs £85, when i questioned that, the guy explained £85 parts are not quite Toyota parts, but was made by a company contracted with Toyota, the £130 are genuine, there is always a catch.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you took your car to a reputable indy, they will tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with your brake pads. A lot of people here have been told by Toyota that the pads are on their last legs when they have 10s of thousands of miles left in them. Seems to be a ploy for easy money, as pads themselves are very cheap and it is an extremely simple job to change them as well.

What the hell is clutch oil??!?

brake fluid, clutch oil is for people like me who dont know too much about cars, sorry..

I can pretty much guarantee that if you took your car to a reputable indy, they will tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with your brake pads. A lot of people here have been told by Toyota that the pads are on their last legs when they have 10s of thousands of miles left in them. Seems to be a ploy for easy money, as pads themselves are very cheap and it is an extremely simple job to change them as well.

forgive me, but what is reputable indy? how can i find them? thanks

4sure £99 for gearbox oil change? :eek: I need to change mine too, using the currency converter will be 113€ here in Portugal It's a LOT!

I will ask toyota dealer how much is for the change.

Im scared :wacko:

forgive me, but what is reputable indy? how can i find them? thanks

A decent independent garage (i.e. not a dealership). And you generally find them through experience or recommendation :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links